Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

burnt seats and stress cracks in gel coat all over boat

I special ordered a 2006 Malibu Wakesetter with all the bells and whistles and paid a stupid amount of money. Took the cover off boat this season and my seats look like they are burnt, took boat to be waxed and there are stress cracks in the gel coat all over this boat. This boat is babied on and off of the water. I was told by my malibu rep that these are defects from Malibu. I am being told other people are having these problems. I would like to hear from you

I special ordered a 2006 Malibu Wakesetter with all the bells and whistles and paid a stupid amount of money. Took the cover off boat this season and my seats look like they are burnt, took boat to be waxed and there are stress cracks in the gel coat all over this boat. This boat is babied on and off of the water. I was told by my malibu rep that these are defects from Malibu. I am being told other people are having these problems. I would like to hear from you

5 years old and you're just noticing these things? surely it was showing signs of degradation? depending on sun exposure interior can def show cracks in 5 years. Religiously covered? where are the stress cracks?

5 years old and you're just noticing these things? surely it was showing signs of degradation? depending on sun exposure interior can def show cracks in 5 years. Religiously covered? where are the stress cracks?

I noticed some cracks last year around wake tower, these cracks now run vertical and horizontal down side of boat, but it is not near the tower . This boat is covered everytime it comes off the water , and when I uncovered the boat this season the seats looked burnt. I asked rep why now after five years, He said he has seen it happen in different year boats. They had no explanation why it happens.

I noticed some cracks last year around wake tower, these cracks now run vertical and horizontal down side of boat, but it is not near the tower . This boat is covered everytime it comes off the water , and when I uncovered the boat this season the seats looked burnt. I asked rep why now after five years, He said he has seen it happen in different year boats. They had no explanation why it happens.

have you left it out in the sun for a few hours? Recently I uncovered and found some pretty bad red spots allalong the bow cushions...30 mins in sun went away ...the red could have been described as burned-looking for sure.

The seats on my 2006 look that way every time I take the cover off during the warm weather if it is outside. A few hours in the sun and everything returns to normal. I know several people who had the seats replaced during the warranty period. I did not have the problem with mine until after the warranty expired....always my luck!

Not sure if you have the factory towing cover by Commercial Sewing. If you do then it’s very conceivable that you didn’t notice an issue until it’s really too late. This cover does burn the darker vinyl, Malibu knows this and tried several things w/ the manufacture to correct it. The burned sections will “bleach” out but I can tell you that eventually the burn spots will become permanent. To the best of my knowledge there isn’t any resolve from it but they do offer now a grey cover instead. I’ve yet to hear of any issues with the grey to date. I’m having my CS cover modified to include a felt underlining to avoid having any more burned vinyl.

The stress cracks are most likely gelcoat and cosmetic, but both of these issues are out of warranty and something your insurance will cover. You can try contacting your dealer or Malibu directly to see if they are willing to help out in anyway.

My cover is a Rankin black cover. The boat spent most of its early years stored inside. The last year it spent the summer on my driveway with the cover on it....that is when my "burned" upholstery showed up.

My cover is a Rankin black cover. The boat spent most of its early years stored inside. The last year it spent the summer on my driveway with the cover on it....that is when my "burned" upholstery showed up.

Humm, well hadn't heard burn marks showing up from sunbrella fabric...... My burn marks were dark purple and didn't go away. The CS cover uses different material than Rankin but I'm not convinced that it's not the glue reacting to the heat and leeching through the vinyl.

I have a 2004 Sunscape (Wakesetter Package) and had the same issue about 4 years ago. I believed it was because of the cover and being stored near the window with the sun coming in. Luckly the Dealer replaced the fabric and to help stop the problem from happening again, we put a blanket between the cover and where the Boat/fabric meet. All is well and havent had the issue since. No help regarding the cracks. Good luck...

Humm, well hadn't heard burn marks showing up from sunbrella fabric...... My burn marks were dark purple and didn't go away. The CS cover uses different material than Rankin but I'm not convinced that it's not the glue reacting to the heat and leeching through the vinyl.

last year I had these weird burnt orange spots come up on one seat, nothing spilt on the seat, nothing leaked on the seat and the spots grew over time.....malibu warrantied the seat cover, when the completed the process they told me that there was no discolouration inside the vinyl or glue seepage.....

never figured out what it was but is was something..... but I have evolution cover