Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Garden hose Thru hull fitting

Levi900RR

I'm debating on modifing my current flush kit and adding a thru hull fitting so I don't have to throw my garden hose over the side of my boat (most of you know that's a pet peve of mine for no good reason...) The only one I can find is from Perko and its $75!

Anyone know where I can get one at a lower price? For that much I might as well buy the whole Perko Flush Pro kit! :biggrin:

I'm debating on modifing my current flush kit and adding a thru hull fitting so I don't have to throw my garden hose over the side of my boat (most of you know that's a pet peve of mine for no good reason...) The only one I can find is from Perko and its $75!

Anyone know where I can get one at a lower price? For that much I might as well buy the whole Perko Flush Pro kit! :biggrin:

Could you use a standard drain thru-hull and a NPS to garden hose adapter? You would probably want to put a ball valve on the thru hull as well.

pumpthruhull_LG.jpg220024316.jpg

and where would you install on? transom? I don't like the idea of transom because my kids like fooling on swimming platform..

It is seriously the sweetest maintenance mod ever, no crawling under boats, no dragging hoses into the boat, just hook it up right to the transom and you're all set.

In terms of your kids swimming, you already have two big D hooks and a grab handle sticking out for them to hit themselves on. Factory install is next to the starboard lifting ring IIRC.

-Chris

I'm going to mount mine right next to the 2 thru hull drain fittings for my ballast and my bilge pump. Should be more out of the way than on the Transom...

I'll post up some pics if I ever get it done :Frustrated:

I'm going to mount mine right next to the 2 thru hull drain fittings for my ballast and my bilge pump. Should be more out of the way than on the Transom...

Would suck to hit that on a dock or someone else's boat next time your tied up. :Doh:

I think those other two fittings are flush mount for a reason.

never have liked the look of those on a boat. If it was me, i would have the connection inside the boat, either with a short piece of hose that could reach over the side or just attach the hose in the engine compartment somewhere.

Would suck to hit that on a dock or someone else's boat next time your tied up. :Doh:

I think those other two fittings are flush mount for a reason.

Good point, I don't think I would wack it but when someone else is driving my boat... :cry:

never have liked the look of those on a boat. If it was me, i would have the connection inside the boat, either with a short piece of hose that could reach over the side or just attach the hose in the engine compartment somewhere.

I don't really love the look either but I hate throwing the hose over the gunwale more. Maybe I can tuck it under the swim platform on the transom. I don't see a reason why it would have to be above the waterline... :dontknow:

I don't see a reason why it would have to be above the waterline... :dontknow:

If you put it below the water line be sure to put a bronze (not plastic) shut-off valve on it in case that little plastic cap works its way loose.

A crew member made this vid. I forget who it was now but, I think it's a pretty good idea...

I think it was the same guy who did the Blair Witch Project..

that is a good idea, i might have put that fitting on the intake side of the tranny but it obviously works there.

That could double as a ballast bag filler line.

Edited by Cervelo

A crew member made this vid. I forget who it was now but, I think it's a pretty good idea...

I remember that dude a few weeks ago, I like his set up but my goal is to not have to run a hose into the inside of the boat.

The more I think about it I might just abandon the whole idea. I have a real slick T into my raw water intake line with a ball valve and a quick connect fitting for my garden hose already that works well. I just hate getting out my "shop blanket" to throw over the side to protect the Gelcoat... :tomato:

Edited by Levi900RR

Why not just have a section of clean hose that you can use for this particular purpose?

The hose I use is only used for washing cars & draining the hot tub. So it's already clean & I have never had an issue with it.

I remember that dude a few weeks ago, I like his set up but my goal is to not have to run a hose into the inside of the boat.

The more I think about it I might just abandon the whole idea. I have a real slick T into my raw water intake line with a ball valve and a quick connect fitting for my garden hose already that works well. I just hate getting out my "shop blanket" to throw over the side to protect the Gelcoat... :tomato:

Don't listen to them man, plum that thing right on the transom, you'll never know its there - the rubrail protrudes from the hull just as far, plus how many times have have you actually hit one of the d-rings on the back of the boat...personally I never have.

Maybe I get a little over-excited on these things but after crawling under boats and dealing with fake-a-lakes day in day out every summer for 5 years, nothing beats just hooking up a line to the transom and turning the boat on.

But I would not put this fitting below the waterline personally, I'm pretty sure its not made for that.

-Chris

Don't listen to them man, plum that thing right on the transom, you'll never know its there - the rubrail protrudes from the hull just as far, plus how many times have have you actually hit one of the d-rings on the back of the boat...personally I never have.

Maybe I get a little over-excited on these things but after crawling under boats and dealing with fake-a-lakes day in day out every summer for 5 years, nothing beats just hooking up a line to the transom and turning the boat on.

But I would not put this fitting below the waterline personally, I'm pretty sure its not made for that.

-Chris

That was my thought... :rockon:

I'd like to eventually do a project like this too. My question is, my pump sucks faster than my spigot puts out. I end up filling a large trash can with water, and dunk a 2" clear hose from the trash can, to the inlet side of the pump.

It will suck a huge trashcan (guessing 60 gallons) dry in less than 5 minutes. Even with new water coming in from the spigot !

So, ha, my question is, is the spigot really enough to cool the engine properly?

Steve B.

This is the stock location: (Yes the platform has been redone).

I really like it. Run the hose from the garage to the back of the boat with a small ball valve. Lean over the back of the boat, turn water on, start boat... stop boat, walk to back & turn water off. No mess, no forcing water thru the system when the engine isn't running.

IMG_3018.JPG

Edit: Add comment.

Edited by wienrdog

This is the stock location: (Yes the platform has been redone).

I really like it. Run the hose from the garage to the back of the boat with a small ball valve. Lean over the back of the boat, turn water on, start boat... stop boat, walk to back & turn water off. No mess, no forcing water thru the system when the engine isn't running.

Isn't water being forced thru the engine in the time between you starting the water & starting the engine? And then again between the time you stope the engine & stop the water. :unsure:

Not that thats a big deal.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I just added one and it is in the same location as the "factory" location. Looks very nice if you use the stainless fitting. Quickly blends in.

Don't put it below the waterline.

A garden hose provides plenty of water intake - even just partially open.

I'd like to eventually do a project like this too. My question is, my pump sucks faster than my spigot puts out. I end up filling a large trash can with water, and dunk a 2" clear hose from the trash can, to the inlet side of the pump.

It will suck a huge trashcan (guessing 60 gallons) dry in less than 5 minutes. Even with new water coming in from the spigot !

So, ha, my question is, is the spigot really enough to cool the engine properly?

Steve B.

At idle my hose seems to feed the system fine. If I rev the engine it collapses the hose. For the amount that I run it I think its fine. I typically only let it idle anyway...

martinarcher

So let me get this straight.....a 2" hole in the transom with an ugly connector is better than putting a hose over the side of the boat with some pipe insulation on it that plugs into some trick quick connect inside? Whistling.gif

I must run my boat in the lake too much and not enough on the hose to see the benefits. Tease2.gif

I'm just bustin' you balls Levi....I can certainly see the benefits, I just wouldn't add one to my boat. I don't run it in the driveway more that a half a dozen times a season and the hose over the side doesn't bother me a bit.

So let me get this straight.....a 2" hole in the transom with an ugly connector is better than putting a hose over the side of the boat with some pipe insulation on it that plugs into some trick quick connect inside? Whistling.gif

I must run my boat in the lake too much and not enough on the hose to see the benefits. Tease2.gif

I'm just bustin' you balls Levi....I can certainly see the benefits, I just wouldn't add one to my boat. I don't run it in the driveway more that a half a dozen times a season and the hose over the side doesn't bother me a bit.

I get on this kick about once a year... It may pass, it may not. :lol:

Levi Levi Levi :) Great idea and I've debated it. I'd rather do the martinarcher set up and drape my garden hose over a towel or old pillow. BUT I love to see a good modification, I'm excited to see the progress!