Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'01 Sunsetter LXI Monsoon Fuel Pump Issues

Recently I've had an issue that I've never encountered. When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump prime the enigine, it will run initially and then stall out after it burns off the primed fuel. I can get the engine to run a bit longer by pumping the throttle after it starts but eventually it dies.

It does not occur in the morning when I first run the boat but after we finish skiing and I restart the boat this will occur. Sometimes after trying to several times the boat will run fine again. Any thoughts on the issue?

Vapor lock?

Read this.

Thanks - the only other odd this is if I lift the engine lid I can hear the fuel pump prime but it seems now I can alwasy hear the pump whine. I don't reall ever hearing this continue before over engine idle.

Not sure if the whine is symptonmatic of anything besides vapor lock?

Edited by rbell14

I'm totally guessing, sir.

Did you read that thread?

Are you putting ethanol gas in the boat now versus, before?

I'm totally guessing, sir.

Did you read that thread?

Are you putting ethanol gas in the boat now versus, before?

Thanks - the thread was helpful. I consider the vapor lock issue. My other concern is posted above with the fuel pump whine that I hear?

So,

Let's get this straight.

Every time you first hit key on the pump will run for a few seconds then, once the engine is running you hear the pump whining, which you never noticed before, is this what you're saying?

You could have a clogged fuel filter or, two or, a clogged fuel pump inlet screen.

Read this.

listen to Baddog

Thanks Pete - the thread you attached is helpful. The whole vapor lock thing seems weird since it has never occured in the past but maybe if the filters are clogged it's somehow contributing to the a vapor lock issue. I'll check the filters and screens first.

Recently I've had an issue that I've never encountered. When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump prime the enigine, it will run initially and then stall out after it burns off the primed fuel. I can get the engine to run a bit longer by pumping the throttle after it starts but eventually it dies.

It does not occur in the morning when I first run the boat but after we finish skiing and I restart the boat this will occur. Sometimes after trying to several times the boat will run fine again. Any thoughts on the issue?

is it a carb? or monsoon? don't write off vapor lock because you've never had it before...in fact, I'd think it's likely given you're not having it in the am (cooler).

is it a carb? or monsoon? don't write off vapor lock because you've never had it before...in fact, I'd think it's likely given you're not having it in the am (cooler).

Monsoon fuel injected. The vapor lock is puzzeling to me. Why would it start doing this now when it has not in the past 9 years while my use is exactly the same? I plan to start with fuel filters and work back from there.

I'm using normal mid grade fuel...

Edited by rbell14

Monsoon fuel injected. The vapor lock is puzzeling to me. Why would it start doing this now when it has not in the past 9 years while my use is exactly the same? I plan to start with fuel filters and work back from there.

I'm using normal mid grade fuel...

I agree unless you recently switched to ethanol gas, but most places have had it for years.

If your pump is constantly whining it is usually a sign that the pump is going bad, is starved for fuel, or both. So your right start with fuel filters (your Monsoon has 1 or 2 depending on the year), also check the inlet screen on the fuel tank. I would also consider running the boat off a remote tank of fresh high grade fuel to eliminate the possibility of contaminated or stale gas.

If you have clean fuel lines and filters and the pump is still whining I would go to autozone and rent a fuel pressure gauge to see if the pump is maintaining pressure in the fuel rail after start up. If its not then likely the pump is dead/dying and you will need to replace it - check ebay first though because alot of people buy fuel pumps thinking they have a problem and find out it was something else $300 later, then you can scoop them up at 1/2 price.

-Chris

I agree unless you recently switched to ethanol gas, but most places have had it for years.

If your pump is constantly whining it is usually a sign that the pump is going bad, is starved for fuel, or both. So your right start with fuel filters (your Monsoon has 1 or 2 depending on the year), also check the inlet screen on the fuel tank. I would also consider running the boat off a remote tank of fresh high grade fuel to eliminate the possibility of contaminated or stale gas.

If you have clean fuel lines and filters and the pump is still whining I would go to autozone and rent a fuel pressure gauge to see if the pump is maintaining pressure in the fuel rail after start up. If its not then likely the pump is dead/dying and you will need to replace it - check ebay first though because alot of people buy fuel pumps thinking they have a problem and find out it was something else $300 later, then you can scoop them up at 1/2 price.

-Chris

I know I have an in-line filter near the tank but I don't see any type of spin on filter anywhere else. Does anyone know where this would be located or if a '01 Monsoon has a spin on fuel filter?

Worth 1K words.

Spoke with Malibu serivce dept. and they believe the whine I hear from the fuel pump is due to the screen being clogged on the inlet fuel line feeding to the bottom of the fuel pump. I'm going to check that tonight and see if there is any improvement.

martinarcher

So,

Let's get this straight.

Every time you first hit key on the pump will run for a few seconds then, once the engine is running you hear the pump whining, which you never noticed before, is this what you're saying?

You could have a clogged fuel filter or, two or, a clogged fuel pump inlet screen.

Read this.

To bad Pete didn't think of that one. Whistling.gif

Spoke with Malibu serivce dept. and they believe the whine I hear from the fuel pump is due to the screen being clogged on the inlet fuel line feeding to the bottom of the fuel pump. I'm going to check that tonight and see if there is any improvement.

Pulled off the fuel line hose that feeds the bottom of fuel pump. Screen looked clean, shot some carb cleaner up in there and try to flush the screen but there was no change in appearence. (Screen was not clogged) Replaced the in-line fuel filter near the tank. Upon initial priming the fuel pump had some variable whine to it but I think it was somewhat typical.

Noticed the fuel pump no longer whines at idle or during operation. Ran the boat to simulate a ski/board run to replicate the problem without success. Hopefully the issue is resolved but I'll monitor to see is a "vapor lock" condition returns or any other rough starting after a ski run.

I will crack open the old fuel filter and provide a report tomorrow. Too late to start tonight! Time for the air conditioner and a beer!

Pulled off the fuel line hose that feeds the bottom of fuel pump. Screen looked clean, shot some carb cleaner up in there and try to flush the screen but there was no change in appearence. (Screen was not clogged) Replaced the in-line fuel filter near the tank. Upon initial priming the fuel pump had some variable whine to it but I think it was somewhat typical.

Noticed the fuel pump no longer whines at idle or during operation. Ran the boat to simulate a ski/board run to replicate the problem without success. Hopefully the issue is resolved but I'll monitor to see is a "vapor lock" condition returns or any other rough starting after a ski run.

I will crack open the old fuel filter and provide a report tomorrow. Too late to start tonight! Time for the air conditioner and a beer!

Cracked open the old filter. It was not really dirty and there was not visable sign of debris but the filter appeard to be dark in color from the gas, almost a varnish look to it so maybe the paper element was not as pourous anymore. Test drove the boat and did not have any issues. Hopefully the problem is now solved. Thanks for the help!

I fought issues with my 01 SLXi and vapor lock for years with the exact same symptoms you mention. I changed bunches of parts - filters, fuel pumps, and even modified my motor box to allow it to breathe better. In the end, it ended up being the new blends of fuel that we had around here. There's summer blends, winter blends...and they vary based on time of the year, location in the country, etc. Once the gas company got the new ethanol blend figured out, never had an issue again.

Learn how to purge the pressure from via the fuel rail and you'll be back running in no time. I got to be a master at it :)

Edited by edwin
  • 2 weeks later...

I fought issues with my 01 SLXi and vapor lock for years with the exact same symptoms you mention. I changed bunches of parts - filters, fuel pumps, and even modified my motor box to allow it to breathe better. In the end, it ended up being the new blends of fuel that we had around here. There's summer blends, winter blends...and they vary based on time of the year, location in the country, etc. Once the gas company got the new ethanol blend figured out, never had an issue again.

Learn how to purge the pressure from via the fuel rail and you'll be back running in no time. I got to be a master at it :)

I am trying to change myt fuel pump but gas never stops coming out of the line when I loosen it from the fuel pump. Your posts make me realize I need to find a way to purge the fuel pressure. I found the screw cap on the fuel rail but how to I purge the pressure?