Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing the Raw Water Pump Seal

98 Sunsetter LX and my raw water pemp seal is leaking at the back. I have the new seal from SkiDIM and have removed the impeller, hoses and the bracket the holds the house in place, but how the heck do I removed the pump housing to replace the seal???

Aren't there 4 allen head bolts that bolt the pump to the crank pulley?

Then a few taps with a rubber or plastic hammer or, your purse. (haven't used that in awhile)

ScreenShot001-14.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete

Aren't there 4 allen head bolts that bolt the pump to the crank pulley?

Then a few taps with a rubber or plastic hammer or, your purse. (haven't used that in awhile)

ScreenShot001-14.jpg

There are and I was thinking that was the next thing to try, but a) I was starting to get overly frustrated and b) I didn't have that large an allen wrench with me. Once I take that off the crank pulley though, what do I bang on to get the housing of the shaft? It sure feels like it wants to fight back.

98 Sunsetter LX and my raw water pemp seal is leaking at the back. I have the new seal from SkiDIM and have removed the impeller, hoses and the bracket the holds the house in place, but how the heck do I removed the pump housing to replace the seal???

Here is a link to some instructions for rebuilding a raw water pump.

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Advisories/SV2004-5%20-%20RAW%20WATER%20PUMP%20REBUILD.pdf

Here is a link to some instructions for rebuilding a raw water pump.

ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Advisories/SV2004-5%20-%20RAW%20WATER%20PUMP%20REBUILD.pdf

Thaks E-Nut, that was exactly what i needed, however, now I need some more tools like an arbor press. Woohoo! Guess I have fathers' day taken care of. No wait, that was the annual fee for the ski lake. oh well.

I didn't want to say anything earlier but, I've always heard that if your raw pump is leaking out the back seal, it's just easier to replace the whole pump.

Now that I saw all the pulling and pressing equip. I'd need to do it, that's where I'm heading once the time comes.

I didn't want to say anything earlier but, I've always heard that if your raw pump is leaking out the back seal, it's just easier to replace the whole pump.

Now that I saw all the pulling and pressing equip. I'd need to do it, that's where I'm heading once the time comes.

You are missing the whole point: it's an excuse to buy a new tool or two..

I read the article on rebuilding the pump that Engine Nut found. It was actually easy to remove the pump and disassemble it. I had the seal from Skidim and thought I would have it done in an hour, but on checking the two bearings realized that one was worn, probably the reason the seal failed. No problem, call skidim for the bearings, but Noooooo, couldn't get just the bearings, had to buy a whole pump for $200. Called West Marine, Bakes, Overtons, Indmar and Johnson Pumps and no one would sell just the bearings. Went to a industrial bearing house and bought them for $11. Friday I put it all back together and will know if rebuilding is worth a little bit of effort vs. buying new.

I need to do this pretty soon too, did you happen to keep the PN off the bearings that came out for reference?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm with Pistol Pete. Just easier to buy a new pump. Only $167Raw water pump Also, cheaper than buying all the tools needed not to mention the time.

I'm with Pistol Pete. Just easier to buy a new pump. Only $167Raw water pump Also, cheaper than buying all the tools needed not to mention the time.

So $20 to rebuild or $167 for a new one? I'll be rebuilding them all day long, the one I have now is vibrating like crazy.

If it's just the seal, and it's a DD, it's pretty easy to change the seal. I did one last week. I didn't even take the pump off. Hope that wasn't a necessary step. I just pryed it out and pushed a new one in with a new impeller. voila..took 5 mins.

I read the article on rebuilding the pump that Engine Nut found. It was actually easy to remove the pump and disassemble it. I had the seal from Skidim and thought I would have it done in an hour, but on checking the two bearings realized that one was worn, probably the reason the seal failed. No problem, call skidim for the bearings, but Noooooo, couldn't get just the bearings, had to buy a whole pump for $200. Called West Marine, Bakes, Overtons, Indmar and Johnson Pumps and no one would sell just the bearings. Went to a industrial bearing house and bought them for $11. Friday I put it all back together and will know if rebuilding is worth a little bit of effort vs. buying new.

A part number off of the bearings would be nice.

A part number off of the bearings would be nice.

If Baddog didn't keep them I'll post them up when I pull mine apart sometime this weekend.

Bearing is number 6203 which is 40 mm OD x 17 mm ID x 12 mm Width. McMaster has them for $5.50 each

Seal is GACO ANGUS DPSM 16287

That pump is $133.43 from inboardonline.com. They also have the bearings, seals, cover plate screws, impellers and impeller gaskets as well as lots of other Indmar parts.

Edited by Engine Nut