Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

boat won't turnover after washing it

We just washed and waxed our Malibu Wakesetter, and when we turn the key it beeps, but no display comes up. Is there a fuse or moisture somewhere that is preventing the display to come up and to get the motor to turn over? Any help would be appreciated since we would like to get out tomorrow. I hope it will be a simple fix, because I'm not a mechanic!

Thanks ,

Labvet

Define washing....was it just the exterior or did you hit the inside with a pressure washer? And did you douse the engine with water?

It's in my sig!

It's the safety landyard, hade same probleme with my Bu.

Check it out, remoove and replace and it will start.

:thumbup:

It's the safety landyard, hade same probleme with my Bu.

Check it out, remoove and replace and it will start.

:thumbup:

It is a 2003 and we did wash the carpet, so I'm sure some water got sprayed up under areas and also around the engine area as we washed everything. I haven't tried removing the safety lanyard, but I will try that first. Do I need to worry about fuses or electrical areas getting wet, and if so, will they dry out or do I need to do something to help. As I said, when I turn the key, it beeps, but no gauges come up and nothing turns over. It is the battery from last year, but I have kept a charge on it.

Thanks again for everyone's help. My son is about to step on his lower lip when he saw the boat not start!

Labvet

i'm not sure you caught the references to the 'no start troubleshooting' document that shawndoggy was referring to.

check out the link in his signature. holler if you find a problem that should be added to the document.

i'm not sure you caught the references to the 'no start troubleshooting' document that shawndoggy was referring to.

check out the link in his signature. holler if you find a problem that should be added to the document.

Thanks for pointing out the file, which I didn't get open until today. I will check the battery circuit breaker as well as the lanyard and if nothing happens I will be back with more questions. Thanks so much for helping me get the boat back in the water.

Labvet

You should also check the cannon plug. On a direct drive it's right near the distributor cap, not sure on a V-Drive... :unsure: It a fairly large, multiple contact plug...kinda hard to miss. I can take a pic after church if need be (leaving the house in a few minutes). Unplug it, make sure all of the contacts are clean (no corrosion, no spider webs,...) and then reconnect. Sometimes it can wiggle loose and break contact. Good luck.

It is a 2003 and we did wash the carpet, so I'm sure some water got sprayed up under areas and also around the engine area as we washed everything. I haven't tried removing the safety lanyard, but I will try that first. Do I need to worry about fuses or electrical areas getting wet, and if so, will they dry out or do I need to do something to help. As I said, when I turn the key, it beeps, but no gauges come up and nothing turns over. It is the battery from last year, but I have kept a charge on it.

Thanks again for everyone's help. My son is about to step on his lower lip when he saw the boat not start!

Labvet

It's a boat. Thye get wet. But spraying inside with vigor can cause bad ju-ju, as you now know. I'm voting for letting it get thoroughly dried out and then it will magically start just fine. Occam's Razor.