Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

94 Echelon speaker replacement

M_alibu

I removed the original speakers that were in bad shape (Seaworthy 50W 5612BB). The mounting brackets are for 5 1/2 in speakers. The screw holes are 5 inches apart. The speakers I ordered (Boss Marine) are 5 1/2 inches but the mounting holes and the frame of the speakers are much smaller and will not work. The only option I see is to go to a 6 1/2 inch speaker and modify the mounting holes. Has anyone else run into the same problem replacing the original speakers? This should be a simple project but it has turned into a lot of work. Any suggestions?

Problem solved. It does take a 6.5. The problem was the speakers I ordered (Boss Marine) have a larger chasis than a normal 6.5 speaker. I am going with Polk Audio and this should solve the problem.

Keep us posted on how the Polks sound. I'm looking into getting a pair for my Echelon.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they sound great. Best Buy wanted $100 a pair. I found them on Amazon for $55 a pair. I am happy with them and would recommend them for the price.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am in the process of replacing my 94 echelon speakers also. Did you place the front ones in the original locations? I was thinking of relocating them up into the dash by the windshield. Thanks, Spencer

Hi, I am in the process of replacing my 94 echelon speakers also. Did you place the front ones in the original locations? I was thinking of relocating them up into the dash by the windshield. Thanks, Spencer

Tons of options and advice in this thread:

• 1 year later...

I'm looking to do the same thing. For the rear speakers that fit on the side panels. Would that be a bottom mount?

Crutchfield says the Polk db651 is only a top mount. And the db651s is top on bottom mount.

Thanks

On mine there is no speaker cover. Its mounted behind a piece of fabric built into the side panel

Its hard to see but in the attached picture you can kind of see it.

post-4053-0-56073100-1366821803_thumb.gi

You do. Its a project. Some of the screws on mine were bent so they were hard to get out. 2 people would be a great idea.

And I would try to find a speaker with a lower profile. I had to trim mine down where it meets the windshield

Edited by bretski75
  • 1 month later...

I replaced mine the first time 8 years ago and don't remember. But all I did was take the side panel off so there are either studs. Or it screwed in from the backside. Obviously you will need to be careful of screw length if thats the case. This time the guy that installed my skins did it.

All that to say I wish I could tell you the real answer. But I can't say for sure.