Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie to Malibu

ThrowingaTantrum

Hey everyone! I just finalized a deal on my first Malibu thanks to a member of this forum! He helped me get a 1995 Tantrum from the original owner with 100 hours on it!!! :thumbup:

I am out of town right now but I will be picking it up next Friday just in time for a weekend camping trip on the lake! I couldn't be happier since I am relatively new to boating and my first 2 boat buying adventures did not pan out so well. If it comes up maybe I'll tell the story... I don't have any pictures yet but I am hoping the other member can come along and help me out. I just wanted to say hello and thanks in advance for all the help I am sure to need!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• ThrowingaTantrum

• NorCaliBu

• Slayer

Thanks guys! This next week is going to kill me! I can see the lake from my kitchen window but there is nothing I can do about it...

martinarcher

Yep...that's my buddy. Welcome to the forum bro - it's a great place to hang out and learn about your new Bu! I had to bring you over the Malibu brotherhood. Thumbup.gif

I just got back home after test driving.....OK I slalomed behind it. Whistling.gif Awesome little Bu! Super clean and as he said, it rolled 101 hours while I was behind it! It's going to be a fun boat. The previous owners bought it new in 95' and has had it since. He hasn't had it out in 3 years. It looks super clean and runs like a champ. The wake is amazing for slalom skiing! Rockon.gif If you didn't buy it I would have! LOL.gif

Here's the good stuff....the pics. Yahoo.gif

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

Edited by martinarcher

I think it looks great too! I have yet to see it in person but from the looks of out and the price I couldn't wait a week or it would have been gone. Thanks again Martin for finding, testing and convincing me to buy it!

That is a super clean ride! As others have said, you're going to love your new ride and you're going to love the site. There is a wealth of good information here and good people willing to help.

Congratulations and Welcome to the crew!

:welcome:

martinarcher

I think it looks great too! I have yet to see it in person but from the looks of out and the price I couldn't wait a week or it would have been gone. Thanks again Martin for finding, testing and convincing me to buy it!

No problem man! It's never a hassle going to look at a Malibu. Yahoo.gif

Just thought of a few things you will need for that boat.

-Anchor and line if you guys will be up on Kinzu next weekend. When you anchor off shore with an inboard anchor off the bow eye with the bow facing the lake and the swim platform facing the shoreline. After the anchor sets, tie a rope to one of the transom rings and then tie it off to a tree on the shoreline.

-Buy a couple Absorbers from WalMart. They are the best synthetic chamois and really do a kick butt job at drying off the boat (inside and out).

-Collinite's wax. Buy a couple bottles of their Insulator Wax and put a good coat on the hull before you put it in your slip. This will prevent the gel coat from bubbling if it is mored for an extended period of time in the water. The Grove City Trader Horn sells Collinite's. Some auto parts stores sell it too. It's the only wax I use on my Bu.

-Aerospace 303 Protectant It protects the interior from UV damage and cracking from sun exposure. Works awesome and is a standard weapon against the sun here on the crew. I know Chris uses it on his Jeep top too.

I know you said you had jackets and tow ropes. If you need a set of skiis for next weekend let me know. I have a spare set you can borrow/have.

Any other must have items for a weekend on the water fellas?

He's got a boat cover for at night and a fire extinguisher on board.

Edited by martinarcher
Any other must have items for a weekend on the water fellas?

How much money does he have? :lol:

That is a beautiful Tantrum. :thumbup: Enjoy.

ROFL.gif We're all too good at helping other members spend money.

No kidding.....the wife tells me no more spending on the Bu till next year. Hope I can abide by her bidding on that matter. :unsure:

No kidding.....the wife tells me no more spending on the Bu till next year. Hope I can abide by her bidding on that matter. :unsure:

Good luck with that. The only thing that comes to mind is a saying that goes something like "Better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission". :biggrin:

Good luck with that. The only thing that comes to mind is a saying that goes something like "Better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission". :biggrin:

So very true and will be the route I take....

Great looking boat! I love the simple dashboard. No touch screens! Just the gauges and switches you need. Wish we could have that simplicity on a new boat.

IMAG0300.jpg

If Malibu would sell a simple boat like this with the new hull for under $30k they would sell like hot cakes.

A stripped down Response CB at a reasonable price would be sweet but seriously...would anyone other than serious slalom guys buy it? And how many of us are there?

Excuse my crappy slalom skiiing. Pointers are welcome.

Keep your hips up, shoulders back, handle low, elbows in (against vest). 2/3 of your weight on the front foot, 1/3 on the ball of your back foot (which will stop the perpetual wheelie you're doing). After the turn, set your edge and hold it all the way to the second wake. You get slack in the rope because you're pulling too long outside the wake.

Long Pull Drill: Start just outside the wake on port side. Pull out as if getting ready to run the course. Once the boat starts to load the line, lean in and set your edge, holding it all the way to the 2nd wake. Do not flatten out when you get to the 1st wake. After the 2nd wake, come up off of edge and use the speed to continue your outbound direction until you're gliding parallel with the boat path. When the line starts to load, turn in and go the other way. Same procedure.

Don't worry about your turns. That's after you get across the wakes with decent speed. First work on your wake crossings. Start the drill with a moderate lean that you feel confident that you can hold all the way across both wakes then increase the lean as you feel more confident.

:thumbup:

Slalom, if it was easy, they'd call it wakeboarding. :biggrin:

Edited by NorCaliBu
martinarcher

A stripped down Response CB at a reasonable price would be sweet but seriously...would anyone other than serious slalom guys buy it? And how many of us are there?

Keep your hips up, shoulders back, handle low, elbows in (against vest). 2/3 of your weight on the front foot, 1/3 on the ball of your back foot (which will stop the perpetual wheelie you're doing). After the turn, set your edge and hold it all the way to the second wake. You get slack in the rope because you're pulling too long outside the wake.

Long Pull Drill: Start just outside the wake on port side. Pull out as if getting ready to run the course. Once the boat starts to load the line, lean in and set your edge, holding it all the way to the 2nd wake. Do not flatten out when you get to the 1st wake. After the 2nd wake, come up off of edge and use the speed to continue your outbound direction until you're gliding parallel with the boat path. When the line starts to load, turn in and go the other way. Same procedure.

Don't worry about your turns. That's after your get across the wakes with decent speed. First work on your wake crossings. Start the drill with a moderate lean that you feel confident that you can hold all the way across both wakes then increase the lean as you feel more confident.

:thumbup:

Slalom, if it was easy, they'd call it wakeboarding. :biggrin:

Awesome. Thanks man. That's the kind of advice I needed. Rockon.gif My dad taught me to slalom ski and the lesson ended when I got out of the water. LOL.gif The rest has been a trial and error thing.

If it were easy it would be called wakeboarding......you crack me up! ROFL.gif

Awesome. Thanks man. That's the kind of advice I needed.

:thumbup: I do the long pull drill as a warm up every time I ski. It's a muscle memory thing. Teach the body what it should feel like so it becomes automatic, then (in theory anyway) when in the course you only have to think about the turns. :unsure: I keep telling myself that anyway. :crazy::lol:

martinarcher

:thumbup: I do the long pull drill as a warm up every time I ski. It's a muscle memory thing. Teach the body what it should feel like so it becomes automatic, then (in theory anyway) when in the course you only have to think about the turns. :unsure: I keep telling myself that anyway. :crazy::lol:

I will certainly spend some time doing those drills. I know crossing the wake at speed consistently is the first hurdle I need to cross if I ever want to complete the course. Thumbup.gif

Thanks man!