Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge Fuse Problems

old skool malibu

On my 09 VTX the bilge is wired through the Perko so when the Perko is off I have no Bilge. I have rewired my automatic power wire direct to battery with a 5 amp inline fuse. I have been blowing fuses so I figured there was an issue with my bilge as both the inline fuse blew and the switchable power (manual) fuse blew in the dash - on seperate occasions. I installed a new Bilge and when testing my inline fuse blew again. I pulled my wiring for the automatic power figuring the new line I ran was rubing causing a short. I did not see any defects and all connections appeared good. The only issue I can figure is there may be an issue with the inline fuse holder which may cause the short? Any other suggestions? I was going to go by new wire and a new fuse holder and try again but am I overlooking something? To clarify when I run the bilge off the factory automatic power wire there is no issues but when I run the bilge off my new direct to battery automatic wire there is an issue with the inline fuse blowing... help!

Take the inline fuse out and see if that fixes it, it's fused at the medalion box so won't be an issue. What size wire did you use?

Edited by 06vlx

The pump draws 3 amps and states to use 5 amps. Attwood 750gph. I think when dry testing the pump will studder on occasion causing it to draw additional power and blow the inline fuse. I checked all wiring, fuse holder etc and it is fine. We have gone to a 7.5 amp fuse for the inline fuse holder that goes direct to battery for the autobilge and it works just fine. I could get away with a 5 amp but if the pump studders it will blow the 5 amp fuse. I think the studder may be due to the dry run testing and should be fine with water flowing through it. For the manual switch the fuse under the dash is 5 amp. I have 7.5 in there currently as I ran out of 5 amp.