Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Asian Carp Invasion

Ndawg12

A few days ago I saw this story on Nat Geo and then a day later ESPN had a peice on it. Just wondering if it's affected some of the waters that the crew frequents? Pretty scary stuff for.....well....everyone if we don't figure this out.

Edited by Ndawg12
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill_AirJunky

• Pistol Pete

• Ndawg12

• martinarcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you imagine if they make it into the Great Lakes? Bad news for sure.

That's the thing the video didn't mention, maybe they're old, but the Nat Geo program suggested that they had all ready entered Lake Michigan due to some water samples they tested.

Edited by Ndawg12
martinarcher

That's the thing the video didn't mention, maybe they're old, but the Nat Geo program suggested that they had all ready entered Lake Michigan due to some water samples they tested.

That's scary. They will explode in the lakes and could then work their way down many of the rivers in the US. Lots of the lakes we ski are river fed. Those stupid things would pretty much rule out any watersports after they take over a body of water

Wonder if there's anything that eats them?

That's scary. They will explode in the lakes and could then work their way down many of the rivers in the US. Lots of the lakes we ski are river fed. Those stupid things would pretty much rule out any watersports after they take over a body of water

Yeah, Chinese people!! But there isn't enough profit to ship them across the world. What ever predator fish that would be able to control millions of 20lb carp isn't something I'd want to swim with either!! It's pretty bad news, however, it might end some watersports but create new ones :crazy:

cats, dogs...would make great pet food.

Yea, their in Long Lake west of Spokane too. In fact, it was so bad last year that they picked up some disease that was killing them off. The county hauled out thousands of lbs of dead carp from the lake. The water quality in that lake has been horrible the last 7 or 8 yrs & this just makes it a lot worse. We won't even go near the lake.

Unfortunately it's part of the Spokane River, which flows into the Columbia River, Lake Roosevelt, and ultimately Banks Lake. Later it makes it down to the Pacific near Portland.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I ski on the Illinois River in Ottawa, Illinois and the Asian Carp are terrible here. Very invasive. A couple of years ago my buddy got hit in the chest by one while slalom skiing. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt. I worry about hitting one at 40+ mph, and of course, the kids (especially since some of the carp are bigger than the kids). That said, the inboards don't seem to "attract" them like the outboards and metal hulls do.

Yea, their in Long Lake west of Spokane too. In fact, it was so bad last year that they picked up some disease that was killing them off. The county hauled out thousands of lbs of dead carp from the lake. The water quality in that lake has been horrible the last 7 or 8 yrs & this just makes it a lot worse. We won't even go near the lake.

Unfortunately it's part of the Spokane River, which flows into the Columbia River, Lake Roosevelt, and ultimately Banks Lake. Later it makes it down to the Pacific near Portland.

God that sucks. We've been wanting to plan a camping/boating trip to that lake this summer. I grew up on that lake and REALLY want to wakeboard it behind my boat. But those fish are effing gross...

what other water quality issues are there?

what other water quality issues are there?

Maybe you saw the recent state Supreme Court ruling in the wrongful death of the sewer plant worker? What a horrible way to go. :Doh:

The guy died when the sewer tank roof he was standing on collapsed. We were in the middle of a big snow melt at the time (kinda like now), and all the lakes & rivers were really high. I guess the tank overflowed, blew the roof off, and overflowed into the Spokane River...... which of course flowed downstream.

This all went down about 7 yrs ago. Which was when I moved into the area & was looking for shared waterfront at the time. There are a few great neighborhoods on Long, but when that happened we started looking upstream. Ended up landing in Liberty Lake, who doesn't have those kind of problems.

Since then I've been to Long 3 or 4 times. The further SW you go, the funkier the water looks. Scum lines on the boat are bad in a day or so. It just doesn't give you a warm fuzzy at all.

Go to Roosevelt, Two Rivers, Banks, or anything downstream. Or drop me a line if your ever in the area & I'll do what I can to get you a ride in a clean lake.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Maybe you saw the recent state Supreme Court ruling in the wrongful death of the sewer plant worker? What a horrible way to go. :Doh:

The guy died when the sewer tank roof he was standing on collapsed. We were in the middle of a big snow melt at the time (kinda like now), and all the lakes & rivers were really high. I guess the tank overflowed, blew the roof off, and overflowed into the Spokane River...... which of course flowed downstream.

This all went down about 7 yrs ago. Which was when I moved into the area & was looking for shared waterfront at the time. There are a few great neighborhoods on Long, but when that happened we started looking upstream. Ended up landing in Liberty Lake, who doesn't have those kind of problems.

Since then I've been to Long 3 or 4 times. The further SW you go, the funkier the water looks. Scum lines on the boat are bad in a day or so. It just doesn't give you a warm fuzzy at all.

Go to Roosevelt, Two Rivers, Banks, or anything downstream. Or drop me a line if your ever in the area & I'll do what I can to get you a ride in a clean lake.

I remember that case well. That was right after I moved over here to the Seattle area. I had no idea that instance (or perhaps other untold problems) were still creating pollution issues in Long. That really blows.

Huh. Maybe we'll look at Banks instead. Shorter haul I guess. :haha:

Not sure of the legality :crazy: , but take out the ole bass tracker, a couple of buddies, a couple of shotguns, and several cases of ammo. Start cruising down the river just up on plane. One guy sits in the front, um lets call it, "gunners" chair. Another guy in the back chair. Risning carp migh be alot like a covey break when quail hunting, or a flushing pheasant. The moving boat would throw in an extra element of challenge.

If it was legal and could be done safely, I would pay money to go carp shooting.

Good idea but, that will put a lot of lead in the water.

You need to bow hunt them like the previous video that is posted in this thread.

Good idea! Could they be a replacement in all the Captain Highliner fish sticks! :crazy:

Or perhaps we now know what the secret ingredient is in Taco Bell's "meat".

Good idea but, that will put a lot of lead in the water.

You need to bow hunt them like the previous video that is posted in this thread.

Last summer on Long Lake near Spokane. :rockon:

post-821-045783300 1307320814_thumb.jpg

From the Nat Geo program they showed that those carp had bony flesh. That is that there was bone mixed with the flesh.

I do not know enough. What happens if you feed them to the cats and dogs ?

How did they get into Long Lake and not the surrounding waterways, Bill ? Any ideas ?

I am no hunter.

But shooting carp with a shotgun has got to be some of the best fun you could have.

Not really the solution to the problem, though.

But maybe a good commercial venture to start a guided carp shooting service ?

Not sure how the carp get into one lake & not the others. Long is part of the Spokane River, which is dammed up like 4 or 5 times between Coeur d'Alene & Lake Roosevelt. I don't think there are fish ladders on any of them (kinda far upstream for the salmon). And I haven't heard of the problem being in any other lake.