Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rough Water...submerging nose...1st Malibu

tmartin

Hey guys...this is my 1st post after my 1st weekend on my 2007 Malibu VTX. The family has always had i/o boats and we finally all decided on a Malibu and we love it. The only catch that has been a problem so far is that the lake we are on is not exactly what you would call a smooth calm lake on the weekends. Some of the family tends to like to just slowly cruise around to get some sun and wind...blah blah...I'd prefer to play all the time! Anyways...At slow speeds the with 2 people in the bow of the boat it has a strong tendency to submerge the front in the rough waves. Is this a standard trait or is there something I'm doing wrong...or what can I do to solve the problem rather than making everyone sit in the back...it was never a problem with the i/o and it is really my only complaint....Can you guys please help a newbie! Thanks!!!

People in the bow will make it worse but it can happen no matter what (direct drives are worse so be happy about that). Driver really has to pay attention, turn completely away from rollers or turn into them at a 30-45 degree angle and give it some gas to get the nose up!

Some good info here

Edited by Ndawg12

Welcome to the Crew! You’ll love it here.

As for water over the bow…yup, gonna happen. Notice how the bow dips down? You’re going to have to watch the waves/wakes close at time to keep it from happening. I wouldn’t say it’s a trait with the boat though…it’s a trait with the driver. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the quick replys guys...I guess its just a little learning curve to get used to...I'm up for the task! I love the boat!

Keep in mind that (depending on who is in the bow) taking on water can be fun. You know…the girl who refuses to get wet…whoops! The guy who’s being a jerk…whoops! The dummy who tells you how to drive but has never owned a boat…whoops! Well, you get the idea.

Keep in mind that (depending on who is in the bow) taking on water can be fun. You know…the girl who refuses to get wet…whoops! The guy who’s being a jerk…whoops! The dummy who tells you how to drive but has never owned a boat…whoops! Well, you get the idea.

:plus1:

I may have done this once or twice!

You clearly neglected to add the benefits of placing the mother-in-law up front.

Has happened to me 2x already since I got my new 247. Never ever had to worry about it in my old 26' Chaparral. First time was a good one. Water over the windshield. Major tsunami. 2nd time wasn't too bad. Just enough water to get the whole bow soaked. It's easy enough to avoid if you pay attention 100% of the time but that's the hard part. Like one of the other posters said, it's gonna happen because nobody pays attention 100% of the time (least not me). And yes, my mother in law was in the boat for the tsunami.

So far this hasn't happened to me. I'm pretty anal about water in the boat so I'm always watching the wave/wakes. I've had the water up to the gunnel though and almost inside. I gave it just enough throttle that time to avoid it.

Well timed post!

We took the 'Bu out in 30mph+ winds and 4ft swells on Saturday... and we had to motor directly into the wind/waves!

Took on ALOT of water over the bow but it drained pretty fast. In sever conditions move everyone to the back, fill the rear ballast and goose the throttle if you can. Goosing the throttle usually worked when getting over the FIRST swell, but the impending drop just crashed us down in the middle of wave behind it :thumbup:

any one ever drop the wedge for more bow lift?

I was a little nervous turning 90 degrees to the bigger swells, I prefer taking them bow first. I'm not sure what it would take to capsize the boat but i would think its harder to flip taking a wave bow to aft vs port to starboard.

Any thoughts besides having a good bildge pump?

We learned are lesson and trailered to the other side of the lake on Monday :crazy:

BWAHAHAHAA!! YES! Did this a number of year's back at SeaFair. Drunk jackass was making everyone miserable...I was driving (sober) at speed, saw a nice big roller coming at us, killed the throttle and nosed-into it just in time to doooosh the jackass sitting in the bow facing backwards. Made everyone's day!

:rockon:

Keep in mind that (depending on who is in the bow) taking on water can be fun. You know…the girl who refuses to get wet…whoops! The guy who's being a jerk…whoops! The dummy who tells you how to drive but has never owned a boat…whoops! Well, you get the idea.

I've chili dipped people that were being perfectly pleasant guests all day. :dontknow:

one thing that will help is if you have a skier down that you do not do any power turns to pick the skier up. some of those waves that you are taking in might just be your own.

Well timed post!

We took the 'Bu out in 30mph+ winds and 4ft swells on Saturday... and we had to motor directly into the wind/waves!

Took on ALOT of water over the bow but it drained pretty fast. In sever conditions move everyone to the back, fill the rear ballast and goose the throttle if you can. Goosing the throttle usually worked when getting over the FIRST swell, but the impending drop just crashed us down in the middle of wave behind it :thumbup:

any one ever drop the wedge for more bow lift?

I was a little nervous turning 90 degrees to the bigger swells, I prefer taking them bow first. I'm not sure what it would take to capsize the boat but i would think its harder to flip taking a wave bow to aft vs port to starboard.

Any thoughts besides having a good bildge pump?

We learned are lesson and trailered to the other side of the lake on Monday :crazy:

30+ Winds? Why would you even think of putting the boat in water like that? Did you have thoughts of the movie: "The Perfect Storm?"

Had to teach a few of my drivers this trick when surfing, Once I'm down stop the boat , hit reverse back up a bit to allow the big wakes to pass, and then proceed to pick me up.. leave it to a rookie to flood the boat, but I have to have my turn, BTW Lost a Stereo and a 6 disc changer because of an Over the Bow experience, on my old Ski Sanger...

30+ Winds? Why would you even think of putting the boat in water like that? Did you have thoughts of the movie: "The Perfect Storm?"

I wasnt about to let a little wind ruin my Memorial Day plans! It was hard enough missing it last year due to travel that I wasn't going to miss two years in a row.

Our lake has alot of action on big holidays. We like to drop anchor and catch some great people watching.