Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hit a log! Help!

First post, wish it was under better circumstances. Hit a log in open water today. Ripped of the front track fin and bent the strut a bit. Luckily was on the way in and got the boat trailered shortly after the strike. I guess I have a few questions.

1. How much am I looking at dollar wise to repair this mess? Tracking fin looks like it was torn out but generally the gel coat around the two holes isn't terrible.

2. Can I bend the strut back and call that part of this whole problem solved? Or it the shaft likely bent now? (using the rudder to stare down the drive line....., the prop nut cheats to the passenger side about 3/4")

3. Will my full coverage insurance cover this?

Thanks for any help.

First off that sucks

I've hit logs but I guess a little luck just mangled props

If the tracking fin is straight you can just remount

Make sure the mount holes are intact

I would fill them and retap new holes myself

The strut can be straightened

But your shaft needs to be checked

Most likely its bend

Things to check

Engine alignment, shaft, replace bearings( mainly strut ) , and strut

Best thing all will be covered under insurance

Looking around 2000 or so is shaft is bend including new prop

Definitely an insurance claim. Call you insurance company and let them handle it.

:plus1: This is what full insurance is for. The bad part is you will loose you boat for most of the season for the repair, most shops are really busy this time of year. :(

Good luck, It really sucks when things like this happen.

Definitely an insurance claim. Call you insurance company and let them handle it.

For sure.....file a claim with your insurance company. You might also contact your dealer and let them know your situation. Maybe they can get the boat inspected and an estimate going since the insurance company will likely need that first to process the claim.

And sue the Forestry Service. It has to be their fault the tree fall in the water. :lol:

I was told buy the dam operator above us that they pull the logs out from in front of the dam and take them down to the other side and throw them back into the river. He said the DNR told him they are natural and must be put back into the water. :crazy:

All I know is we have a tremendous amount of junk in the lake this year. :lame:

Yep call your insurance man.

Edited by Sixball

And sue the Forestry Service. It has to be their fault the tree fall in the water. :lol:

I know your just kidding (geez, I hope so). But the problem we have around here is the water level rising to the point that it's pulling things off the shoreline, docks, firewood, trees, limbs, etc. I've been pulling junk off our lake for 2 months. Even found a plastic wheel off someone dock legs. :crazy:

I was told buy the dam operator above us that they pull the logs out from in front of the dam and take them down to the other side and throw them back into the river. He said the DNR told him they are natural and must be put back into the water. :crazy:

All I know is we have a tremendous amount of junk in the lake this year. :lame:

Yep call your insurance man.

That's simply ridiculous. So rather than simply remove them, our tax dollars have to pay for them to be relocated? Gotta love Governmental logic. :crazy:

That's simply ridiculous. So rather than simply remove them, our tax dollars have to pay for them to be relocated? Gotta love Governmental logic. :crazy:

probably sign them up for food stamps, too.

I know your just kidding (geez, I hope so). But the problem we have around here is the water level rising to the point that it's pulling things off the shoreline, docks, firewood, trees, limbs, etc. I've been pulling junk off our lake for 2 months. Even found a plastic wheel off someone dock legs. :crazy:

We have noticed that there is a lot of land slides this year from the high fast water. Big chunks have slid in with large trees. The slips we have kept our boats at for the last 8 yrs is shut down due to a slide wiping out the access path on the bank. This of course has all occurred due to those accursed WEDs (wake enhancing devices).:o

• 2 weeks later...

$7000 claim later, the boat will be back on the water this Thursday. Replacing all of the underwater gear.... since im not a member I can't upload photos; but here is a link to see the 3 pics i took. Bent shaft

Edited by Rfenske
martinarcher

$7000 claim later, the boat will be back on the water this Thursday. Replacing all of the underwater gear.... since im not a member I can't upload photos; but here is a link to see the 3 pics i took. http://www.flickr.co...N02/5830300065/

Dang! I would have never guessed $7k. Was there more damage than originally thought? Glad to hear she's back in business.

Two weeks isn't bad to complete the repairs either.

Edited by martinarcher

I've been warned of the logs surfacing from the switch in seasons on the northern part of the Wisconsin river that we ride in but thats ridiculous. Bounced off an unmarked stump on Sunday buy I think it only hit the tracking fin. Time to put a dial indicator on it I suppose.

wow that must have been one big log. Lats year I hit a dock that was floating in the middle of our inlet about a foot under water, had some minor gel coat work ahead of the front fin that was it...very very lucky

glad to hear you are getting back in the water soon

$7000 claim later, the boat will be back on the water this Thursday. Replacing all of the underwater gear.... since im not a member I can't upload photos; but here is a link to see the 3 pics i took. http://www.flickr.co...N02/5830300065/

The damage was pretty basic... Mostly just replacing parts. It took a week to get the claim finalized and money, I had to lean on the shop to get to work on it right away. All worked out, and now it's going to rain this weekend.....