Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water/Oil on dipstick

Well, just finished de-winterizing '99 Sunsetter, hit the water for first time this summer, has run perfect for the 7 years I have owned it, always done winterizing myself. Didnt make it more than 500 yards from the dock and reallized I had serious problems. Shut motor down, checked oil, found water/oil on dipstick. Fortunate that we had great people that saw us having trouble and helped us tow boat back.

Am I looking at cracked block, blown headgasket?

...found water/oil on dipstick...Am I looking at cracked block, blown headgasket?

:dontknow: Impossible to diagnose over the internet. No offense but...Do you have the "skills" to know what to look for?

:dontknow: Impossible to diagnose over the internet. No offense but...Do you have the "skills" to know what to look for?

None taken, engine failing, loss of oil pressure, milky oil on dipsitick.

Either way, may as well pull the heads and intake and see what you have. Usually cracks show up in the valley on either cylinder bank if you did pop the block.

What was your winterization procedure, if you didn't deviate from what you've done for the past 7 years I don't see why this year it would crack.

-Chris

Either way, may as well pull the heads and intake and see what you have. Usually cracks show up in the valley on either cylinder bank if you did pop the block.

What was your winterization procedure, if you didn't deviate from what you've done for the past 7 years I don't see why this year it would crack.

-Chris

[/quot

Didn't deviate from previous years, even less freeze than other years. I am not a mechanic by any means, but I followed the DYI on the site. To date I have done all of my own maint/repairs, but this is way out my league. Any idea of costs at a shop?

Depends if your doing a head gasket or have a cracked block, either way its not going to be cheap.

So you did a full drain down, both block plugs, manifolds, circ pump and intake hose?

-Chris

Depends if your doing a head gasket or have a cracked block, either way its not going to be cheap.

So you did a full drain down, both block plugs, manifolds, circ pump and intake hose?

-Chris

I did, and you know we dont get much of a freeze here, central Texas - have to believe its a head gasket at this point. Have always treated this boat so well, only has 300 hours..... Oh well, its a great boat, willl just have to pay to get it repaired.

Really appreciate the input,

Robert

I did, and you know we dont get much of a freeze here, central Texas - have to believe its a head gasket at this point.

Actually a freeze would more likely crack the block or possibly the head...I think.

It seems more head gaskets go due to overheating. Ever lose an impeller?

Actually a freeze would more likely crack the block or possibly the head...I think.

It seems more head gaskets go due to overheating. Ever lose an impeller?

Never lost an impelller, I just replaced the one that is in there last summer, checked it today, looks good. I had just cranked the motor, was in a no wake zone and had to motor slowly for about 5 minutes and that was it, motor started overheating and smoking so I shut it down. Checked oil and found it with water/milky. I hope that you are right and its just the head gaskets.

You need to pressurize the cooling system to see if you have a cracked component, if you lost oil pressure it may be that you have an internal crack. Was the oil/water level really high on the dip stick?

You need to pressurize the cooling system to see if you have a cracked component, if you lost oil pressure it may be that you have an internal crack. Was the oil/water level really high on the dip stick?

Now that you say it. The oil/water level was high on the dipstick.