Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lubricating the prop shaft

Can someone tell me what the best way to lubricate and what product to use to lubricate the prop shaft. My prop does not spin easily by hand when in neutral. Thanks

The cutlass bearing that the shaft runs in is lubricated by water. Your driveshaft shouldn't necessarily turn easily by hand. I would just check the engine mounts to make sure that they are tight and have not allowed the engine to shift causing the shaft to bind.

The old waxy rope packing will make it pretty sticky when it's dry. Give the the guys at Skidim.com a call about their "semi dripless" prop packing. It's made a huge difference in how mine acts. :rockon:

And just in case........never never never put it in gear when using a fake lake.

Did that once by mistake and never again, the noise was unbelievable, scared the piss out of me :unsure:well almost!

martinarcher

Did that once by mistake and never again, the noise was unbelievable, scared the piss out of me :unsure:well almost!

LOL.gif Kinds like nails on the chalk board hey?

My prop does not spin easily by hand when in neutral.
My 98 turns easy for what it's worth....

Define "easy". :unsure: Mine will turn if I use both hands but it doesn't "spin" by any means. If the prop will literally "spin" then your cutlass bearing is worn out as is the packing in your driveshaft packing gland. There is by design going to be some restriction of the shafts ability to "spin". :yes:

The old waxy rope packing will make it pretty sticky when it's dry.

Very good point. The adjusting nut being overly tight will also cause it to bind and restrict the shaft from turning.

So you're saying it did get lubricated after all? ;)

Define "easy". :unsure: Mine will turn if I use both hands but it doesn't "spin" by any means. If the prop will literally "spin" then your cutlass bearing is worn out as is the packing in your driveshaft packing gland. There is by design going to be some restriction of the shafts ability to "spin". :yes:

Very good point. The adjusting nut being overly tight will also cause it to bind and restrict the shaft from turning.

I can spin it and it will keep spinning for about 15 seconds... I get higher top end speed like this so I'm leaving it...

lmao j/k

I can spin it with one hand, but it's not too easy..... the packing is fine as well, drips about once every 7-10 seconds the last time I checked.

And just in case........never never never put it in gear when using a fake lake.

WakingMeHappy..................My VTX has a water cooled shaft. Is it still not a good idea to put it in gear when using a fake lake? I've done it in the past and didn't notice any “eerie” sounds.

martinarcher

WakingMeHappy..................My VTX has a water cooled shaft. Is it still not a good idea to put it in gear when using a fake lake? I've done it in the past and didn't notice any "eerie" sounds.

The "gland" that comes through the hull of the boat is water cooled, but the bushing in the brass strut that supports the prop shaft is also lubricated and cooled by water. So yes, it is still not a good idea to run your boat in gear in the driveway.

The "gland" that comes through the hull of the boat is water cooled, but the bushing in the brass strut that supports the prop shaft is also lubricated and cooled by water. So yes, it is still not a good idea to run your boat in gear in the driveway.

martinarcher............Yes - that makes sense. Thanks.