Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Defeated by an Impeller

MALI-MONSTER

Hi all. I have been doing a bow-to-stern tune up/beautification of a new-to-me 1997 Echelon, including changing all fluids, changing spark plugs, changing belt, greasing every thing, powerwashing the carpets, cleaning and protecting the vinyl, removing decals, acid washing below the water line, compounding the gel, waxing, and changing the impeller. Everything has been going great, I am starting to feel pretty darn handy, and this boat is really starting to grow on me.

Lastnight I hit my first snag. I went to change the impeller. With new impeller, gasket and glycerine in hand, I removed the pump housing cover plate and got to work on removing the old impeller. I used needle nose pliers, regular pliers, channel lock pliers, paint can lid removal tools, screw drivers, prayer, and cuss words, and in over an hour I only got that little thing to move out like 1/8th of an inch.

The former owners said that they only "had to" change the impeller once in the 14 year life of the boat, and the dealer did it, and it was "awhile" ago. So this impeller may have been in the pump for like 10 years. From what I can tell, the old/stuck impeller looks to be in good shape and has all of the little "arms" intact.

Questions. Can leaving the impeller in for a decade corrode it in place making it extra hard to remove? Other than using the tools above, what are the tricks to get this thing out? I've already read the threads on this site about removing it and watched the videos. Can I use alittle PB Blaster on it? Is a two arm puller tool required for this? Any help would be great!

Hi all. I have been doing a bow-to-stern tune up/beautification of a new-to-me 1997 Echelon, including changing all fluids, changing spark plugs, changing belt, greasing every thing, powerwashing the carpets, cleaning and protecting the vinyl, removing decals, acid washing below the water line, compounding the gel, waxing, and changing the impeller. Everything has been going great, I am starting to feel pretty darn handy, and this boat is really starting to grow on me.

Lastnight I hit my first snag. I went to change the impeller. With new impeller, gasket and glycerine in hand, I removed the pump housing cover plate and got to work on removing the old impeller. I used needle nose pliers, regular pliers, channel lock pliers, paint can lid removal tools, screw drivers, prayer, and cuss words, and in over an hour I only got that little thing to move out like 1/8th of an inch.

The former owners said that they only "had to" change the impeller once in the 14 year life of the boat, and the dealer did it, and it was "awhile" ago. So this impeller may have been in the pump for like 10 years. From what I can tell, the old/stuck impeller looks to be in good shape and has all of the little "arms" intact.

Questions. Can leaving the impeller in for a decade corrode it in place making it extra hard to remove? Other than using the tools above, what are the tricks to get this thing out? I've already read the threads on this site about removing it and watched the videos. Can I use alittle PB Blaster on it? Is a two arm puller tool required for this? Any help would be great!

Maybe....as part of this process be sure to check your cooling system for pieces of impeller. I have never heard of an impeller lasting this long, but if it's in good shape, well, cool.

You cna use any lubricant that you wnat to remove so long as YOU feel comfortabel with that lubricant going through your engine. Whether PB blaster fits the definition, is up to you, but I would be ok with it. I have used wd40 all the way to sunblock (don't ask). The most important tool you might need to use is your mancard. :lol: good luck

If you got it to move 1/8 of an inch out, push it back in....then pull it out. Over the course of several times of this there is a good chance she will come out further each time.

If it's in the factory housing on a Merc, take the whole pump housing off the boat, remove the other (2 or 3) bolts, and everything will fall apart. The factory housing in my boat was 3 pieces, front plate, middle body, and back plate. Hopefully yours is the same. Mine had a crack in it, so I bought the $75 replacement housing and impellar kit from skidim.

Sometimes another 5 minutes of taking things apart can really help.

Good luck.

yes, good suggestion

:plus1: on bumping the engine.

On my last impeller change I used some dishwashing soap along with two paint can openers, bumped the engine, got out the man-card, and some elbow grease, and it came right out.

If it's in the factory housing on a Merc, take the whole pump housing off the boat, remove the other (2 or 3) bolts, and everything will fall apart. The factory housing in my boat was 3 pieces, front plate, middle body, and back plate. Hopefully yours is the same. Mine had a crack in it, so I bought the $75 replacement housing and impellar kit from skidim.

I wondered the same thing...... so does a 97 have an Indmar or a Merc in it? :unsure:

:plus1: on bumping the engine.

On my last impeller change I used some dishwashing soap along with two paint can openers, bumped the engine, got out the man-card, and some elbow grease, and it came right out.

Did you reach into the purse too... :)

take the lanyard off and bump the engine, works every time.

Mercruiser will be a starboard mounted, pulley driven Jabsco pump and as noted, remove it from the boat to do the impeller swap. Remove the mounting bracket so you can pull it forward, much easier to remove from inlet water hose which is a pretty stiff hose and doesn't like to come off easily.

Indmar should be a crank mounted impeller so it is easy to get access to in the boat. If you plan to bump the engine to try to free it, I would highly recommend lubricating the impeller so if you end up deciding not to change it, you won't have torn the blades off the hub. Lube the shaft interface also to try to break it free.

I wondered the same thing...... so does a 97 have an Indmar or a Merc in it? :unsure:

My boat has a Indmar Monsoon 320. I am going to try bump starting the engine the next time it stops raining, which could be the weekend ):

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. This website is an unbeleivable resource for sure!

If you got it to move 1/8 of an inch out, push it back in....then pull it out. Over the course of several times of this there is a good chance she will come out further each time.

Good advice there. Just keep pushing it in and out and over the course of several times she will come...

My boat has a Indmar Monsoon 320. I am going to try bump starting the engine the next time it stops raining, which could be the weekend ):

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. This website is an unbeleivable resource for sure!

Buy an impeller puller. For a one-time cost of $48, you'll never have to curse at your impeller again!

FWIW, Bakes is having a sale on them here.

Edited by srab

Good advice there. Just keep pushing it in and out and over the course of several times she will come...

Well, I took your advice and with some in and out action and alittle lube she came. Now I feel like a real man again! Thanks for your help.

Well, I took your advice and with some in and out action and alittle lube she came. Now I feel like a real man again! Thanks for your help.

:dontknow: what was this thread about?

Glad you got it :thumbup: You guys are killing me with the word play :lol: