Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering cable 98 sunsetter

I needed a new steering cable after all these years as it was tight last year and completely stiff this year when I got the boat out on Saturday. I looked all over for a good price and who had one in stock, after a few searches I gave jmsonline.net a try as they had the best price.... I ordered this on Sunday evening for 118.00 (part number SSC13419) and it showed up this morning. Great price, great service, I would buy again from them any time. I'm impressed!

Great service! Mine took three biz days.

Now the fun begins :whistle:

For sure... I'm looking forward to the fun lol

Cool. Did you get the Xtreme cable?

uh oh.... I didn't know there was an extreme cable? lol I got the same thing that was in the boat stock, same part number and manufacturer.

just don't forget to tape the new one to the old one when you pull it out. mine took about one hour

ya I read a couple of cable changes gone wrong already here lol

martinarcher

uh oh.... I didn't know there was an extreme cable? lol I got the same thing that was in the boat stock, same part number and manufacturer.

No biggie. The Morse cable will be fine. Teleflex just has a "new and improved" "Xtreme" cable that is supposed to be the shizzle. Haven't heard a review on the steering cable yet, but I replaced my throttle cable with one and it is pretty nice.

Regardless.....any new cable will feel like the shizzle after slowly getting used to the old one!!

Well it had a teleflex in it stock and this one is also a teleflex with the part number SSC13419

I'm guessing if it lasted 13 years the first time it will be ok lol

EDIT > It looks like the extreme cable part number would have been SSC15419.... so no I have the normal one...

Edited by R1LOVER
martinarcher

Well it had a teleflex in it stock and this one is also a teleflex with the part number SSC13419

I'm guessing if it lasted 13 years the first time it will be ok lol

After looking the extreme cables are regular cables and not available for this steering cable since it's a rack setup. (might be wrong of course)

Cool. I learned something new!

Cool. I learned something new!

Look up again, I looked it up on teleflex's website/catalog and they do in fact make an extreme steering cable... I just wasn't aware of it.

I would like to give a big ** to the people at malibu who designed the tunnel for the steering cable to go through.... too damn tight and it won't go back in.....

So malibu ** for a ****** design..... lol

Lets keep the language clean please.

Ronnie

Edited by Ronnie
Language

I would like to give a big ** to the people at malibu who designed the tunnel for the steering cable to go through.... too damn tight and it won't go back in.....

So malibu ** for a ****** design.....

I'm not sure how much yours is like the one we changed in our 98 RLX, but when we tried pulling the rope we had attached to the old cable back through the opening again with the new cable tied to it, the cable extended and it wasn't able to make the tighter maneuvers we needed. Work the rack to retract the cable again and you may have better luck. It worked for us, anyway, but I'm sure the V-drive creates a new set of issues beyond what we encountered in a DD.

You probably already figured out what you needed to do and have finished by now, but I just had to drop my $.02 because I think I said some of the same stuff you did during that project! Good luck. You'll love it when it's done.

So malibu ** for a ****** design..... lol

Lets keep the language clean please.

Ronnie

I have a 99 Sunsetter lxi and changing the cable took me about an hour. And I'm sure Malibu is very concerned about something they did 13 years ago. ;) And now...on with life. :)

Thanks and yes its all done, just needed to vent during a break lol

This is a dd boat and the issue was a tight bend right under the dash going into the hull. Ended up getting some heavy plastic to make a smooth transition from the rope to the cable so it would not hang up.

Now on a better note, the temp gauge is installed and working great, the steering cable is all good, easy as pie like others mentioned, installed a new impeller, charged up the batteries and we're ready to roll. Still waiting on a shipment from overtons, but that should be here tomorrow. :)

Thanks and yes its all done, just needed to vent during a break lol

This is a dd boat and the issue was a tight bend right under the dash going into the hull. Ended up getting some heavy plastic to make a smooth transition from the rope to the cable so it would not hang up.

Sorry, my mistake. When I looked at the type of boat you had, my bleary eyes (and bleary brain,too, evidently) saw "Wakesetter" and assumed what followed must have been VLX. On that note, I now see you've added a tower and Wakesetter graphics (and I'm assuming ballast, too) to a Sunsetter LX. Nice looking boat!

Anyway, glad you were able to route the cable OK, eventually, and that the other stuff you added is all good. That first bend under the dash caused us an extra few minutes as I recall, for a total of an hour install. Of course, if we had to do it again, I'm sure we could knock that in half. Hey, Malibu, here's to tight tolerances! :cheers::whistle:

Sorry, my mistake. When I looked at the type of boat you had, my bleary eyes (and bleary brain,too, evidently) saw "Wakesetter" and assumed what followed must have been VLX. On that note, I now see you've added a tower and Wakesetter graphics (and I'm assuming ballast, too) to a Sunsetter LX. Nice looking boat!

Anyway, glad you were able to route the cable OK, eventually, and that the other stuff you added is all good. That first bend under the dash caused us an extra few minutes as I recall, for a total of an hour install. Of course, if we had to do it again, I'm sure we could knock that in half. Hey, Malibu, here's to tight tolerances! :cheers::whistle:

Ahhh no worries at all... and yes it's a 98 sunsetter LX that did the above too as you mentioned... :) It was a whole new look after the changes lol and yes I'm sure now that I know the trick.... of making a smooth transition on rope to the cable and also pushing rather then pulling, it would go much faster lol

I was done with everything in a couple of hours and water tested too. :) Should be out this afternoon for a lake test :)

Should be out this afternoon for a lake test :)

:unsure: Really? It's ugly, cloudy, and breezy up here in Penn Valley. :cry:

EDIT: With a chance of snow in Grass Valley this afternoon / evening. :shocked:

Edited by NorCaliBu

:unsure: Really? It's ugly, cloudy, and breezy up here in Penn Valley. :cry:

EDIT: With a chance of snow in Grass Valley this afternoon / evening. :shocked:

Ya it rained here most of the day... I didnt' expect that... it's actually pouring right now as well.... :( I'm hoping tomorrow... they say 75 and sunny! (fingers crossed)

• 1 year later...

Hi all! I think it's time to replace my steering cable. I have a 99 Sunsetter LXI. I see the part numbers listed above so I'll check that out, but I'm wondering if someone could list the steps of this task. Thank you in advance!