Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering cable troubles

While pulling through the new steering cable my rope broke off and now I have the new cable a couple feet in and I have no idea how to get the pull the cable the rest of the way. :Frustrated: Do I need to pull up the floor to be able to pull the cable back to the rudder? I have a 02 VLX. Thanks in advance

You should be able to run a electricians fish tape down the stringer and pull a new rope though pretty easily.

I will try the fish tape. The new cable got stuck a little after I finally got the bolt through the floor under the steering wheel. The other problem is now getting that new cable back out. I cut the old one, so it came out easily.

Awe man, I had a few snags on mine that I'm not sure you could get a fish tape past. I actually used a piece of insulated aluminum cable like the power drop for most houses use on overhead lines.

First you will probably need to remove your new cable again...

You might try cutting the end on the (old) cable you removed so you have a clean starting point, put some tape around the end so it won't snag everything it touches as you push it through (I would cut the other end as well so it is a little easier to handle, just cut enough to remove the hardware)

You may even need to twist it a little and push/pull to get past any obsticles as you feed this cut cable through.

A small mirror and flashlight will help at the helm end (possibly a beer or two)

If this works make sure you get the new one very secure to the old one for the return pull.

Good luck

I hope the best for you

Watch for any other ideas that pop up, you may be able to combine some input to get the job done.

The rope that I lost was the old steering cable. I thought that would be the easiest way possible was to cut the old cable at the helm and duct tape the two together like crazy and pull it through. If I can ever get that new one back out at the helm then I might just pull the heater hose through with a rope and go from there. I just hope that I don't get a steering cable and a heater hose lost in there. :whistle:

The rope that I lost was the old steering cable. I thought that would be the easiest way possible was to cut the old cable at the helm and duct tape the two together like crazy and pull it through. If I can ever get that new one back out at the helm then I might just pull the heater hose through with a rope and go from there. I just hope that I don't get a steering cable and a heater hose lost in there. :whistle:

The heater hose probably has some ties to secure it???

The new cable will be hard to pull back out... the part closest to the helm is the toughest due to the tighter bend.

Old cable with a small hose clamp and tape over it? (if you can get it fed up to the helm area)