Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Voltage Issue

Guest J-Ro

I keep getting a service required warning on my boat for "Voltage spike or shorted high". I have researched this and come up pretty much blank here and was wondering if anyone had ever seen this before and how to fix it. So far I have.....

Changed the batteries

Confirmed all connections between the battery and Perko are tight

Confirmed the alternator bolts are tight

Confirmed the positive to the distribution block is tight

I still get the fault warning every 10 minutes or so when the boat is running. Nothing appears to be wrong with the boat and it runs fine I just can't track down the issue. I really don't want to take it to the dealer due to time and the annoyance factor. Anyone have any ideas?

Guest J-Ro

The voltage is around 14.2 at all times. I couldn't find the negative on the distribution block only the positive. Where is it?

Thanks guys

The voltage is around 14.2 at all times. I couldn't find the negative on the distribution block only the positive. Where is it?

Thanks guys

I meant on the engine.

My "service required" warning was due to a bad voltage sensitive relay switch. It killed two batteries before I figured out what was up. If you are getting a rotten egg smell from the batteries, that is your first clue.

• 2 months later...

Well the dealer fixed it. Come to find out it had to do with an issue that others have experienced where the ECM/Monsoon/Cats are not talking correctly and tripping all kinds of electrical issues. An ECM flash took care of it. At least that's what the dealer says but I'll be the judge of that. :crazy:

I just went thru this. However, watching my voltmeter carefully, mine certainly DID fluctuate...from 12-17.2 while running. Bad voltage regulator on the alternator, they just replaced the alternator. Problem solved.

I did a write up on it here.

My link