Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'88 Skier dash support

This weekend I finally got the boat in the water as we actually had a full day of sun and no rain! On the way from the launch ramp to my lift I noticed the dash shaking around quite a bit as we hit wakes from passing boats and I thought it was excessive ,so once we got it on the lift I took a peek behind the observers seat and it looks as though the dash has seperated from the vertical support column that runs between the floor and the underside of the dash. It looks like at one time they were glassed together,but the strange thing is it doesn't look like it was glassed from the outside of the support to the underside of the dash-it almost appears as though the mat goes from the underside of the dash into the center of the support(it is about 4 or 5 inches square and hollow)but I don't see how that would be possible. Has any other Skier owner experienced this and if so how did you repair it? I'm assuming I can reglass the outside of the support to the underside of the dash but would like opinions if someone has done it differently.

This weekend I finally got the boat in the water as we actually had a full day of sun and no rain! On the way from the launch ramp to my lift I noticed the dash shaking around quite a bit as we hit wakes from passing boats and I thought it was excessive ,so once we got it on the lift I took a peek behind the observers seat and it looks as though the dash has seperated from the vertical support column that runs between the floor and the underside of the dash. It looks like at one time they were glassed together,but the strange thing is it doesn't look like it was glassed from the outside of the support to the underside of the dash-it almost appears as though the mat goes from the underside of the dash into the center of the support(it is about 4 or 5 inches square and hollow)but I don't see how that would be possible. Has any other Skier owner experienced this and if so how did you repair it? I'm assuming I can reglass the outside of the support to the underside of the dash but would like opinions if someone has done it differently.

Oh man, I want to see a pic of this...

Mine is mint, sorry no help here.

Here's a picture of mine, also a 1988. The panel that faces the drivers seat should unscrew and come off ... maybe on yours they went to the inside of the column with the fiberglass and it just separated eventually. Either way, it shouldn't be hard to pull off some of the carpet and reattach everything with new fiberglass.

IMGP2903.jpg

Here's a picture of mine, also a 1988. The panel that faces the drivers seat should unscrew and come off ... maybe on yours they went to the inside of the column with the fiberglass and it just separated eventually. Either way, it shouldn't be hard to pull off some of the carpet and reattach everything with new fiberglass.

IMGP2903.jpg

I see now from your picture why it may be glassed from the inside-I did not know that panel came off-that would have been helpful to know a couple of years ago when I needed to fish some wiring through there! I thought about pulling back the carpet and reglassing to the outside as well-it looks like this may be an easier to repair than I originally thought. Thanks alot for your picture I hope to get some materials this week and have it ready for the holiday.