Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Sporster Engine Swap

So I had a busy weekend. Friday spend all day driving down to Pennsylvania to pick up a nice 1998 Sportster that was not winterized by the marina.

Saturday I got busy and pulled the old engine out, and threw my 2002 Monsoon right on in.

Sunday spend the day getting the new engine ready to rock, got all the hoses routed properly, aligned the engine which was not too much fun, and fixed a few odds and ends on the boat. So naturally there were a few challenges.

Also had to finish scrapping the Sunsetter, which will be heading to the dump later this week.

First the original 310 carb did not have a fuel return line like my Monsoon did, thankfully the tank did have a blank plug with decent access in the tank I was able to tap into. Sounds easy but of course the plug in the tank did not want to come out

Second the fuel feed line is 3/8" versus 1/2" that was in the 02, I know the older Monsoons had 3/8" fuel line. Do you guys think I'll be alright or do I need to change that thing out. Keep in mind this is a sporty and fuel tank access is minimal at best.

Finally if someone could hook me up with a picture of the throttle plate and cable interface at the motor of that era Monsoon it would be a huge help, pretty sure I'm missing a adapter or something on that throttle plate. My issue now is clearance between the throttle plate and the fuel rail.

Sorry guys no pictures, I forgot the camera and would have probably forgotten as I was working anyway.

-Chris

Oh yeah anyone know the steering cable length for a 98 sporty, I forgot to check the number and don't want to wait a week to find out. I think its 16' but can anyone confirm?

I have a little video of the throttle cable attached to the throttle...i took to help diagnose my perfectpass problems. it's a 2003 monsoon. Would that help?

I have a little video of the throttle cable attached to the throttle...i took to help diagnose my perfectpass problems. it's a 2003 monsoon. Would that help?

Not sure but its a start I'll PM you. Thanks

Wish I could help ya. I just wanted to see pics of this engine swap. :rockon:

I forgot my camera and when I'm working I usually forget to take pictures anyway. Also better not to stop and take pics while your engine is flapping in the wind ya know.

Now it just looks like a sporty w/ a monsoon. But I'll snap a few anyway.

Should be a 15' steering cable.

Here's a thread where I answered my own question. The attached pdf should help you out,

Thumbup.gif

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25998-skier-throttle-cable-length/page__p__412367__hl__%2Bsteering+%2Bcable__fromsearch__1#entry412367

Thanks Matt, I actually dug that thread up this morning and ordered a 15' cable from skidim, hopefully I can change it out this weekend.

-Chris

martinarcher

This need to be posted to the Specs section. Very hend reference material.

Agreed. I just went back to it when i ordered my throttle cable for the Sunsetter. Thumbup.gif

martinarcher

Thanks Matt, I actually dug that thread up this morning and ordered a 15' cable from skidim, hopefully I can change it out this weekend.

-Chris

Cool. Sorry I missed this thread. Could have saved you some hunting.

martinarcher

This need to be posted to the Specs section. Very hend reference material.

I added it to a new "how to", but I need to talk to Tracie. Bad thing about a how to is you can't attach docs, just include pics. I put a link to the attachment in my original thread. Gotta be a better way. I think it would be better in the specs/references section as well. I dunno....as long as it's available it's good stuff.

Edited by martinarcher

Ughh, so I should have paid more attention to this transmission before I threw it in the boat.

It spins pretty darn fast in neutral, which probably means the clutch plates are going bad. Is there any chance a complete fluid change (eg pull trans and drop the filter and replace all fluid) will fix this bad boy?

-Chris

So that tranny is junk, pulled the fluid out of it, looks more like engine oil than ATF, and oh boy was it burnt.

Wish I noticed that BEFORE I put the engine in the boat....

-Chris

The bad tranny is the one from the Sunsetter so I just have to play musical transmissions and I'll be all set.

The annoying thing is it would have taken me 30 minutes or so to change them over when the engine was hanging.

-Chris

The annoying thing is it would have taken me 30 minutes or so to change them over when the engine was hanging.

Hindsight is always the best view. :lol::Doh: