Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

iPod FM transmitter

Does anyone use an FM transmitter for their iPod? My boat stereo doesn’t have an aux jack and taking a bunch of CD’s is a pain. I looked and some made by Belkin at BestBuy.com but they have lousy reviews. Any thoughts on how best to use my iPod in the boat without replacing the stereo?

If you would spend $50 on a marginal solution like an FM transmitter, why not spend $100 on a half decent deck with an honest to goodness AUX input (and maybe a USB input so you can throw those CDs into the time capsule)?

If I was hell bent on an FM modulator, this is the only one I'd consider.... http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002IY598O

418-VOq9MOL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by shawndoggy

This is the Belkin I'm considering at the moment to get our Droids & Iphones connected.

Bluetooth from the phone to the unit, then wired to the AUX jack on the deck or WS420.

And has a USB jack to charge whatever too.

http://www.jr.com/belkin/pe/BKN_F4U037/

Reviews are mixed..... I'm betting it depends on the BT connection. Hoping that our phones connect well. They do fine with other BT devices so we'll see.

WMH.... Pac Audio makes an adapter for just about everything. I have one on the back of my stock Chevy deck in my truck..... gives me 2 AUX inputs, sounds fine.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

If you would spend $50 on a marginal solution like an FM transmitter, why not spend $100 on a half decent deck with an honest to goodness AUX input (and maybe a USB input so you can throw those CDs into the time capsule)?

If I was hell bent on an FM modulator, this is the only one I'd consider.... http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002IY598O

I new stereo would be the best solution. I just haven't priced one out figuring it would run a couple hundred bucks. Guess I need to shop around. Really didn’t want to spend that kind of money.

I'm not sold at all on FM transmitters. I has one once for a Dell DJ (going back a few year I know) and it was pitiful at best. Was hoping they’ve gotten better over the years.

Guess I was hoping for an inexpensive solution. Not looking to good for that though.

Tried them in the car a few times. Not worth the money spend, not worth the sales tax paid for that matter. A new head unit is less than 200, do your self a favor save the money from the transmitter and get a new unit. CD are a pain but they will get you through the season then you can upgrade in the off season.

REW

I have one I'd sell to you for $20. It works well if you are in a semi-rural area that does not have a lot of radio stations to interfere. However it does not put out a very strong signal so if you are boating in a populated area like I do (metro detroit) there is just way too much airwave competition and I can never get my head unit to pick it up well enough to listen to.

to be clear, the one I linked to above (in the picture) is an FM modulator, not an FM transmitter. You plug your antenna into the box and then the box into your headunit's antenna lead. These worked for years back in the day to add a CD changer to a cassette only system.

You should be able to configure it to be interference free and to give you as good of a signal as it's possible to pass via the FM antenna. Much better than one of those crummy transmitters, where you are trying to turn your ipod into a tiny radio station in the car.

Edited by shawndoggy

to be clear, the one I linked to above (in the picture) is an FM modulator, not an FM transmitter. You plug your antenna into the box and then the box into your headunit's antenna lead. These worked for years back in the day to add a CD changer to a cassette only system.

You should be able to configure it to be interference free and to give you as good of a signal as it's possible to pass via the FM antenna. Much better than one of those crummy transmitters, where you are trying to turn your ipod into a tiny radio station in the car.

I agree with all that, the modulator is the way to go if you don't want to mess with the head unit. I had the transmitter in years past, poor quality audio, not a good experience.

Take shawndoggy idea and just buy a new deck .

I did got a Sony like he suggest and it was plung and play fron the old sony that had no ipod hookup.. works great with the USB !!!

Good luck

Hilltop

i got the isimple poly-wire and haven't looked back.

I looked at that but my stereo doesn't have an aux jack so there is nowhere to plug it in.

I looked at that but my stereo doesn't have an aux jack so there is nowhere to plug it in.

if your stereo has an FM tuner, there's a place to plug it in. See my first post.

I just bought a Clarion M309 which has Ipod, Aux, and USB connections. I got it delivered for under $150.....and another $50 for a wired remote for the swim platform. I agree that a new deck is the way to go.

it'll work with RCAs too.

I guess the next question is should I get a marine grade stereo? It goes in a hole beside the driver with a flip cover that also serves as an arm rest. Not likely to get wet so would a simple car stereo be OK.

WMH-

How about something like this to replace your existing HU?

It also comes with a HU shield to guard against flying water balloons too! :rockon:

Edited by mcbean7

I guess the next question is should I get a marine grade stereo? It goes in a hole beside the driver with a flip cover that also serves as an arm rest. Not likely to get wet so would a simple car stereo be OK.

I have a very slightly used pioneer stereo that I pulled from the arm rest of my sunsetter. Its yours for shipping. It has the input for an ipod. I replaced it with at Sony CDX-M6OUI from Crutchfield.

I have a very slightly used pioneer stereo that I pulled from the arm rest of my sunsetter. Its yours for shipping. It has the input for an ipod. I replaced it with at Sony CDX-M6OUI from Crutchfield.

Well there's an answer I wasn't expecting. Uhm, OK. I'll PM you may address.

I think the "marine" part helps just because you are always around water - mist, dampness, under cover in the rain, etc. A boat interior in gereral is a little harsher environment than in the dash of a car.

I think the "marine" part helps just because you are always around water - mist, dampness, under cover in the rain, etc. A boat interior in gereral is a little harsher environment than in the dash of a car.

All true..... but don't most boat manufacturers (including Malibu) install car stereos in their boats? I still have the factory Sony GP1 with the Giga-a-panel & a gig of ram on the faceplate for MP3s. Works great.

The Wetsounds WS420 on the other hand, which is SUPPOSED to be coated for marine use, is definitely NOT going to make it long in this environment. How anyone can recommend these things with a straight face is beyond me.

This website rules :rockon:

Steve B.