Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vibration

I have just launched boat for first time today. Installed new battery and it fired up first crank.

Problem, vibration throughout boat at speeds above idol. Looked at prop and it seems fine shaft and seems secure and engine is running fine.

Those are the 3 things I was told it could be. any chance it is in shaft packing?

Thanks for any feedback from the crew.

Prop may look fine, but, actually may not be. Swap it with a spare and see what happens. That would be my first test.

Mounts seem fine, i am having prop retuned. hope that solves propblem. Thanks for your comments.

First, welcome to the Crew.

How are the motor mounts?

I wouldnt think the shaft packing would cause vibration issues....i agree and second the idea to have the prop retuned before you start replacing any other items.

Mounts seem fine, i am having prop retuned. hope that solves propblem. Thanks for your comments.

So did you have it tuned once already?

Put the boat in nuetral, rev engine RPMs up. Do you feel any vibration?

If the prop doesn't check out, the prop shaft can be out of alignment too. It's checked with feeler gauges in the coupler (opposite end of the prop shaft from the packing), and adjusted with the motor mounts. Might need an inboard mechanic to help with this one.

I have just launched boat for first time today. Installed new battery and it fired up first crank.

Problem, vibration throughout boat at speeds above idol. Looked at prop and it seems fine shaft and seems secure and engine is running fine.

Those are the 3 things I was told it could be. any chance it is in shaft packing?

Thanks for any feedback from the crew.

Is it throughout the boat or just in steering wheel? How much slop is in shaft and rudder?

I will go out on boat today. Hopefully by having the prop tuned it will solve problems. If not I will start to go down list from the crew. Glad I found this site.

Edited by thill105

Keep us posted, I'm thinking it could be a engine misfire myself now also. I just don't see how a vibration can just happen from one year to the next and I've seen some pretty bad looking props that don't have any vibration.

Thanks for the suggestions in regards to the vibration.

It was the prop. A quick tune and we had a great Memorial day weekend. Vibration free!

Todd