Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

motor dies fuel pump issue

whooptie driver

I have a 2004 Wakesetter with a hammerhead engine and the engine dies randomly on a consistant basis. The engine dies, sometimes it is when I first start it up, sometime it is when I am idleing and sometimes it is when I am driving under full power, once in a while it will not star at all. Here is the crazy thing. All I need to do is disconnect the fuel pump and reconnect it with the quick connector in the engine compartment and it starts everytime. I have had it in the dealer twice and it still persists. The connector has been replaced and the fuel pump has been replaced. The dealer I use has been excellant at all other issues but has no idea what is going on with this. Interested if anyone has ever had this problem and has resolved it. I am wondering if disconnecting and reconnecting resets something in the electrical system but can not find anyone that has any idea. I bought the boat with 100 hours on it and it was in perfect condition, I have 650 hours on it now and this problem is happening more then it used to.

I have a 2004 Wakesetter with a hammerhead engine and the engine dies randomly on a consistant basis. The engine dies, sometimes it is when I first start it up, sometime it is when I am idleing and sometimes it is when I am driving under full power, once in a while it will not star at all. Here is the crazy thing. All I need to do is disconnect the fuel pump and reconnect it with the quick connector in the engine compartment and it starts everytime. I have had it in the dealer twice and it still persists. The connector has been replaced and the fuel pump has been replaced. The dealer I use has been excellant at all other issues but has no idea what is going on with this. Interested if anyone has ever had this problem and has resolved it. I am wondering if disconnecting and reconnecting resets something in the electrical system but can not find anyone that has any idea. I bought the boat with 100 hours on it and it was in perfect condition, I have 650 hours on it now and this problem is happening more then it used to.

Check for loose grounds near the fuel pump and the connector. There should not be anything to reset. Not sure if the main grounding point is near there but check that as well.

Check for loose grounds near the fuel pump and the connector. There should not be anything to reset. Not sure if the main grounding point is near there but check that as well.

Thanks- I did check, and ran it tonight and it still is doing it.

You are sure the spade connector (quick connector) connecting the pigtail from the pump to the wire harness was replaced?

Peter

You are sure the spade connector (quick connector) connecting the pigtail from the pump to the wire harness was replaced?

Peter

Yes- The dealer did it and I know it was a new one.

Yes- The dealer did it and I know it was a new one.

I was tempted to hard wire the fuel pump but was afraid that the problem would persist and hardwiring it would eliminate my fix, of undoing and reattatching even though it makes no sense as to why it works after doing so?