Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drive Shaft Packing

Hi All,

I know that the Drive Shaft packing is supposed to drip like 10 drops/minute, or so I've heard. Mine has more of a leak/steady little stream of water coming from it.

Will I damage it by continuing to drive it like this until I can get it fixed, or is it basically just going to add water to my bilge?

I don't want to take it in for just this if it's not going to hurt anything, and the small amount of water in the bilge doesn't bother me because I don't keep it in the water overnight.

Thanks in advance!

95 Malibu Response

You, at least, want to try to tighten the packing gland.

Do a search, there's lots of threads on it.

But, you're boat being so old, the rope may be shot and time for replacement anyway.

Otherwise, it's not hurting anything to keep using the boat. Just be mindful of the amount of water that's getting in the bilge.

When you drink do you always talk like you're still in Boston :biggrin:

FWIW, I think it's recommended to replace the packing every 300 hours.

Im a bit over due. :whistle:

Im a bit over due. :whistle:

Same here, 445 hrs, but I've finally got mine adjusted properly about 1 drip every 5 seconds or so. When I have to adjust or replace it again I'm just going to get a dripless from skidim for $150

.......... I'm just going to get a dripless from skidim for $150

My Vride has been moored on the lake now for about 5 days. Last spring I put SkiDim's "virtually dripless" packing in it ($15). Its been wet like 4 or 5 times over the winter so it may or may not have really dried out much. But I've checked it a few times now & it isn't leaking at all, and the shaft isn't heating up at all.

Your welcome to spend the big money if you feel the need. Just thought I'd let you know that the alternative is a good choice for me. :crazy:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I've never replaced mine.

I've got about 500 hrs. on her and she sits in the driveway for a 10 month stretch these days.

I've got about 500 hrs. on her and she sits in the driveway for a 10 month stretch these days.

I'm at about 530 and the bildge pump is starting to run two or three times on a half day out......but then again it could have been that pack of teenagers splashing about.

So lets test it out.... park the boat in a slip for a week. And lets ride every evening after work during that week (that the weather is descent). And tell me how many times the bilge pump runs in that week.

Mine got put on the lake last Tuesday. We've ridden 3 times so far. I haven't heard the bilge pump go on yet. :unsure:

Thats with the Skidim "virtually dripless" packing installed spring of 2010. Boat has just over 450 hrs on it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

So lets test it out.... park the boat in a slip for a week. And lets ride every evening after work during that week (that the weather is descent). And tell me how many times the bilge pump runs in that week.

Mine got put on the lake last Tuesday. We've ridden 3 times so far. I haven't heard the bilge pump go on yet. :unsure:

Thats with the Skidim "virtually dripless" packing installed spring of 2010. Boat has just over 450 hrs on it.

When it comes time to pull out the checkbook I might sing a different tune but I like the idea of not ever having to adjust or worry about it. I plan to have this boat a long time!!

When it comes time to pull out the checkbook I might sing a different tune but I like the idea of not ever having to adjust or worry about it. I plan to have this boat a long time!!

Remember, this is the $15 "virtually dripless" version....... no need for a checkbook, probably pay for it out of the change in your money jar. :crazy:

Remember, this is the $15 "virtually dripless" version....... no need for a checkbook, probably pay for it out of the change in your money jar. :crazy:

I just ordered mine yesterday and it was more like 12-13 dollars. The shipping was more! I used 2nd day so I could be sure to install this week end.

I checked mine out on sunday. It was very close to a steady stream :lol: I could just adjust it......but oh well.

Edited by Ruffdog

i'm at 1200 hours on the original packing.

i'll get around to it when it needs to be replaced.

Holy Dang! I was planning on changing mine soon. I'm at 384 hours and have a faster drip than I'd like. I was planning on changing it out for a "virtually dripless" as Bill_Airjunky suggested. I think I'll just tighten it up and see what she does.

I just ordered mine yesterday and it was more like 11-12 dollars. The shipping was more! I used 2nd day so I could be sure to install this week end.

I checked mine out on sunday. It was very close to a steady stream :lol: I could just adjust it......but oh well.

i'm at 1200 hours on the original packing.

i'll get around to it when it needs to be replaced.

Nice. My old MC had almost 800 hrs on the stock packing when I sold it. I'd tightened it twice over the years & was always able to get the drip rate down to something close to the 5 - 10/min recommendation.

When I bought the Malibu it did fine the first couple years. But in the 3rd year the packing failed miserably. I had the boat moored on the lake as always. Came down one day & found a couple inches of water across the floor. :crazy:

I pumped it all out, pulled the boat out of the lake & let it dry out. Then in my driveway, I filled the bilge with water & let it start leaking. Only wet spot on the driveway was under the prop/rudder area. So I dried it all out, put the boat back in the water, and tightened the packing to the point that I thought the drip rate was fine.

A week later it did the SAME DAM THING! :lame:

That was the day I called Skidim & got the lowdown.

Then about a month later my starter died. So learning this packing lesson cost me about $100 to have my starter rebuilt because it sat in the water a couple nights. :rant:

martinarcher

Did you replace it with a dripless packing or did you just put new material in the stock gland?

That does suck about the starter. Never thought about the packing failing on a moored boat.....all I think it trailer. LOL.gif

Did you replace it with a dripless packing or did you just put new material in the stock gland?

That does suck about the starter. Never thought about the packing failing on a moored boat.....all I think it trailer. LOL.gif

I talked to the Skidim guys & they recommended the "virtually dripless" packing. Instead of the waxy rope packing, it's a piece of greasy synthetic, looks like nylon rope. A buddy of mine had an 04 VLX & had done the packing already. So I bought the beer & we picked out the old waxy rope packing & then cut & installed the new packing & put the packing nut on loosely. Then we dropped the boat in the lake, loosened the packing nut till it was leaking good. Then tightened it up to the point that the dripping stopped. Then checked it while the engine is running at idle speed.

DONE.

I've since looked at it to see if it's leaking at all. NOTHIN. :yahoo:

And the prop shaft is cool to the touch. Whatever is in that greasy synthetic packing is plenty of lubricant so it doesn't need water like the old waxy rope does.

Call the pros & ask them yourself. You can spend the money on the OJ product. But it's really unnecessary when this stuff is available for way less money & install time.

I talked to the Skidim guys & they recommended the "virtually dripless" packing. Instead of the waxy rope packing, it's a piece of greasy synthetic, looks like nylon rope. A buddy of mine had an 04 VLX & had done the packing already. So I bought the beer & we picked out the old waxy rope packing & then cut & installed the new packing & put the packing nut on loosely. Then we dropped the boat in the lake, loosened the packing nut till it was leaking good. Then tightened it up to the point that the dripping stopped. Then checked it while the engine is running at idle speed.

DONE.

And the prop shaft is cool to the touch. Whatever is in that greasy synthetic packing is plenty of lubricant so it doesn't need water like the old waxy rope does.

Call the pros & ask them yourself. You can spend the money on the OJ product. But it's really unnecessary when this stuff is available for way less money & install time.

I really need to do the rudder and the shaft on my boat, thinking about using this stuff. Sounds like the way to go.

martinarcher

DONE.

That was my plan. I used that synthetic packing on the rudder of the Skier. It was pretty awesome stuff. Made me think the dripless OJ product would be a waste of money and also take a heck of a lot more time to change!