Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine issues

Our boat was just diagnosed with some severe engine problems. Took it to our mechanic and we were informed the engine has two dead cylinders. Anybody out there have any experience with this. Is it worth it to tear apart and see how much damager there is, and possibly fix. Or would we be better off just putting in a new engine. It just so happens that I am good friends with the mechanic and he will put in a completely new engine with warranty, labor tax everything for 3500. Anybody know if that is a killer deal for a new engine or if it is worth trying to fix the problem with the existing engine.

What happened to the engine?

Cracked block, over heat, what?

Two dead cylinders? What does the leak down test show? Leak in the head or the bottom end?

Bottom line, $3,500 for everything out the door doesn't sound too bad.

What happened to the engine?

Cracked block, over heat, what?

Two dead cylinders? What does the leak down test show? Leak in the head or the bottom end?

Bottom line, $3,500 for everything out the door doesn't sound too bad.

I agree with Pete

It really depends... Two dead cyls to some people could be as simple as a new set of heads and your on your way.

But burnt pistons, cracked cyls, etc. 3500.00 is not that bad if you do not have to touch it.

Yeah, you need to provide a little more info. If its just a top end needed you maybe able to save. ask you mechanic to be more specific.

I am not totally sure as to what happened. Myself I don't know the ins and outs of a motor very well at all. My mechanic did mention it looked like the engine had overheated at some point and that the top end may be fryed. I dont know if that is something you can tell by looking or if it is something that would have to be torn apart.

A leak down test should show if there is a problem with the top end. Or they can stick a camera in thru the spark plug hole & look around in the dead cylinders.

If the engine had overheated, then several things can happen, eg; a blown head gasket, burnt valves, cracked piston, etc.

$3500 is a fair price for a long block, not a screaming great price though. Especially if you don't have to do anything.

A leak down test should show if there is a problem with the top end. Or they can stick a camera in thru the spark plug hole & look around in the dead cylinders.

If the engine had overheated, then several things can happen, eg; a blown head gasket, burnt valves, cracked piston, etc.

$3500 is a fair price for a long block, not a screaming great price though. Especially if you don't have to do anything.

I think, if you didn't have to do anything, $3,500.00 is a screaming great price. all depends on the quality of the rebuild, is it re built or re manufactured?

Not sure what is the difference, but a rebuilt long block 350 GM cost $1200.

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that a rebuild was repairing only whats broken and reman had everything done over. i.e. cranks,cams journals,wrist pins, bearings, valves, guides, rockers, etc......That was my understanding, could be wrong though.

$3500 is a good enough price, especially (a) this time of the year and (b) where you personally know the guy doing the work. Even if you could save a few hundred bucks, better to know that someone you trust is doing the work and is spooled up to get on it. I'd pull the trigger ASAP because if you wait around another week it may quit snowing and then all hell's gonna break loose at the boat maintenance facilities.

FWIW, I brought my previous boat in for a tune up years back pre-season, 2.3L Ford engine. I did the winterization in the fall before. The mechanic said that one cylinder is dead, no compression. WHAT??? It ran just fine when I put it away. How can that be?? Pulled the head and there was some flaked carbon making a valve stick just enough to not seat, and read zero compression. Valve job, resurface, back in business.

So that's the type of thing that guys are responding to your question with, if it's top end only it's very simple. Even if 3.5k is a good rebuild price it's a whole lot more than just simple top end (heads) repair. Before moving forward you need to know exactly what is causing zero compression.

Way too many question marks for a good answer. My first question would be, are the cylinders firing? If not, why. The absolute first thing I'd look for is to make sure there is spark.

Steve B.