Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New WA State Park Permit - Discover Pass

jeremyk

This is a question that goes out to all the WA state boaters, especially those that use Lake Samammish. Recently a new State Park Pass was announced as a requirement for using all State, WDFW and DNR Land. This pass is supposed to be about $30. According to the Discover Pass website, it appears that this pass gives you access to all State Boat Launches as well. My question is, with the introduction of that pass, do we still need the "Natural Investment" Pass that runs $70 but is ONLY good for boat launches at Sate facilities?

I just got off two phone calls and got two different answers so hoping someone here knows the skinny.

Diggs is in Oregon, not Washington. The Discover Pass is Gregoire's baby.

Heres the website about it: http://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/

Including a FAQ list & a phone # (866) 320-9933

Anyone planning to come to the NW Wow in June & use the Steamboat State Park at all will need this Discover Pass. Most of us are going to be staying at & using the facilities (including the boat ramp) at the SunBanks Resort, which is a private company so it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I talked to the State Parks about this and the Discover Pass does not take the place of the Boat Launch fee or yearly pass I usually buy. The Discover pass is a day use pass for people that picknic and swim and just use the park in general.

They could not tell me if both were required or not. They said they are working those details and to keep watching the website.

I talked to the State Parks about this and the Discover Pass does not take the place of the Boat Launch fee or yearly pass I usually buy. The Discover pass is a day use pass for people that picknic and swim and just use the park in general.

They could not tell me if both were required or not. They said they are working those details and to keep watching the website.

Thanks. That's a lot more info than I got. It would seem to me that with our pass we should be able to use the parks since it is $40 more. Kind of like a higher level season pass. But with wa state's resident's luck, we will be forced to pay for both.

I think we'll be good for this summer on the season pass to state parks. They don't have it figured out yet, how will they enforce it....

Edit: If we're lucky all the idiots that park their cars in the truck & trailer lanes will start to get ticketed.

Edited by 06vlx

Diggs is in Oregon, not Washington. The Discover Pass is Gregoire's baby.

Heres the website about it: http://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/

Including a FAQ list & a phone # (866) 320-9933

Anyone planning to come to the NW Wow in June & use the Steamboat State Park at all will need this Discover Pass. Most of us are going to be staying at & using the facilities (including the boat ramp) at the SunBanks Resort, which is a private company so it shouldn't be an issue.

I emailed and did not get a response.

In the past, camping fees covered boat launch use so I am skeptical that if you are paying to use the park overnight you will also have to pay to use iti in the daytime, althougth this is washington, home of the money-grows-on (someone else's) tree crowd. If you are day use that is another question all together, you will probably need to dish out the $10 and who knows maybe a boat launch fee also. Sounds like they are still sorting it out. Washington passed a law that is unclear, imagine that.

Edited by MalibuTime
  • 2 weeks later...

I just received a response to the email I sent. Here are the two FAQs related to State Park boat launches:

Q. Do I need a Discover Pass for state recreational boat launches and water-access sites?

That depends on the lands and the license or permit you already hold. Anyone who has purchased a Natural Investment Permit for State Parks watercraft launch sites, will not need a Discover Pass to launch from a State Parks boat launch. However, Natural Investment Permit holders will need the Discover Pass at boat launches managed by DNR and WDFW.

Q. Do I need a Discover Pass when I camp or rent overnight accommodations in a state park?

A. No. If you are camping or renting overnight accommodations, including vacation houses, environmental learning centers, yurts and cabins, you will not need a Discover Pass for access to the park where you are renting your accommodations, for the duration of your stay. If you visit other state parks in the area or other state recreation lands managed by WDFW or DNR, you need a Discover Pass.

http://discoverpass.wa.gov/faq/