Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The oil that is going to change all oils.

Maybe 06 and others are simply tired of your "opinions." With your incessent expert opinions and sophomoric attempts to verbally browbeat everyone who disagrees with "your opinion",

maybe 06 being smart is the only way to deal with your constant in your face challenging and parcing of every word. Unless I am wrong, and I am sure you will offer your opinion, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion. Just glad I am not married to you, or a co-worker, or neighbor, or......

HMM I thought what he had to offer on this topic was pretty good, not too much conflict here. This topic is about oil not national security :whistle:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 85 Barefoot

• footnlongline

• Bobby Light

• Malibudude

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just for your information not to start any thing, but I work for a very large Gov. Fleet and we have been using re-refined oil for a long time and have had no oil related issues from using it. Vehicles include heavy equipment, large Diesels, pickups, cars and the true test law enforcement fleet. I can guarantee that none of you have put your engines through what these cars get put through every day.

Not trying to start anything, but how can you guarantee that? Someone who plows parking lots for 18 hours/ a day might feel differently. Landscapers put some severe hours on their equipment, heck, they probably buy some of those vehicles from the government and squeeze more life out them. UPS trucks get some rugged duty. I am not doubting your claims, just your prejudice.

Maybe 06 and others are simply tired of your "opinions." With your incessent expert opinions and sophomoric attempts to verbally browbeat everyone who disagrees with "your opinion",

maybe 06 being smart is the only way to deal with your constant in your face challenging and parcing of every word. Unless I am wrong, and I am sure you will offer your opinion, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion. Just glad I am not married to you, or a co-worker, or neighbor, or......

I'm sure there are several. I'm also sure I get thanked for the information I bring here frequently. Regardless of your and 06's public posts and PMs I don't respond to you in kind, because it's just inappropriate. What's not inappropriate is to question a stated "fact" when every comprehensive article come across on the subject contradicts him. If 06 is right, he should be able to articulate why. Numerous other people have no problem articulating why he is wrong. I'm no chemist, I have simply posted information commonly available which proves he's wrong. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, who cares, I'm wrong every day on something, but it doesn't mean all of us are not entitled to the explanation that HE offerred, which I took him up on, HE said he was "done", now you're insulting me, and I'm being sophomoric?! Delicious irony, indeed.

Not trying to start anything, but how can you guarantee that? Someone who plows parking lots for 18 hours/ a day might feel differently. Landscapers put some severe hours on their equipment, heck, they probably buy some of those vehicles from the government and squeeze more life out them. UPS trucks get some rugged duty. I am not doubting your claims, just your prejudice.

Good point. Don't forget about the construction industry. I'm willing to bet that our CAT equipment takes a pretty good beating as well and we use all new oil in our equipment.

For all the environmentally sensitive people out there, we did try B20 bio-diesel for a few years as well to assist in offsetting our carbon footprint however we found that the savings in the cost of fuel were lost in all the other problems we realized. As an example, our fuel filters were clogging at a much faster rate than with traditional diesel. The costs of replacement of filters frequently has forced us to move back to traditional diesel fuel. It's very costly to send mechanics to job sites all the time to change filters.

Sorry for the off topic ramble....

You are kidding right? I guess I could be wrong but I have never seen a plow, landscaper, UPS truck Etc. drive with the gas to the floor till the engine hits redline/revlimiter then manually shift there automatic transmission slamming it in gear then follow that up with a 2 to 3 shift then a few high speed curb hops where the petal is again to the floor one tire in air engine overrunning only to land again and slam the engine and drive train to a screeching halt. And I have not even started to talk about the abuse they put on the training vehicles. Yes I can not truly guarantee it, it was a figure of speech but I don’t think law enforcement is anywhere even close to average abuse.

You are kidding right? I guess I could be wrong but I have never seen a plow, landscaper, UPS truck Etc. drive with the gas to the floor till the engine hits redline/revlimiter then manually shift there automatic transmission slamming it in gear then follow that up with a 2 to 3 shift then a few high speed curb hops where the petal is again to the floor one tire in air engine overrunning only to land again and slam the engine and drive train to a screeching halt. And I have not even started to talk about the abuse they put on the training vehicles. Yes I can not truly guarantee it, it was a figure of speech but I don’t think law enforcement is anywhere even close to average abuse.

This is a true statement IMO. I have seen the abuse those vehicles get.

While the examples you provided are impressive indeed and surely a testament of abuse, especially on the transmissions, suspensions driveshafts and differentials of squad cars. We are talking about the merits of oils. Most government vehicles enjoy regimented maintenance schedules. The constant load of a snow plow, the revs it takes to plow snow, and the sustained hours of abuse on such vehicles of which maintenance is often neglected is, in my opinion, a better test of the oils protective properties. Even here in Chicago, the police cars are not in a constant state of pursuit.

I will wait to see how many engine manufactures recommend the 50% blend for their engines over the traditional oil. I wonder if any dealers will use this oil for the oil changes they perform? In addition I really don't think the savings would justify the potential risk. So you save 8 to 10 bucks per oil change, over the course of 1000 engine hours that is 20 oil changes so your savings would be 200 bucks or so, no thanks!

-Dave

I will wait to see how many engine manufactures recommend the 50% blend for their engines over the traditional oil. I wonder if any dealers will use this oil for the oil changes they perform? In addition I really don't think the savings would justify the potential risk. So you save 8 to 10 bucks per oil change, over the course of 1000 engine hours that is 20 oil changes so your savings would be 200 bucks or so, no thanks!

-Dave

I think the maintenance schedule has more to do with it than the oil. I don't doubt for one second Devon Perry's claims about the performance of the recycled oil. I would prefer to look into it first though, If they are able to restore the molecular properties of the reclaimed oil to that of original, I see no reason not to use it.

I'll put this out there.

I bought a '98 Grand Cherokee brand new, 25 miles on it. After the first oil change at 2k I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic. This was a company vehicle and I was the only driver. At 125k mostly highway miles, with regular service intervals, while doing 35mph accelerating from a stop sign, it threw a rod out the side of the block.

Since then I run regular oil in everything instead of paying the premium for sythetic. However, I'd have a hard time feeling good about my oil change knowing I just put recycled oil in, so it'll take some more convincing by the industry before I do that.

If it meets or exceeds manufacturers recommended specifications, everyone should use it. The only way to bring down fuel prices is to reduce demand for oil.

If you think about all the vehicles on the road that use oil (1 highway truck can have a capacity of 40+ gallons), this is a way to actually reduce demand for oil from countries that don't like us.

I agree with the OP that recycled oil is the way of the future, seems like such a waste to use it once for 50 hours and then discard it.

I think used oil gets recycled for alternative use if it is not recycled for its original purpose. Yes, you are always going to get the hillbilly pouring it out in the gravel pile or the urban redneck pouring it in the sewer system but otherwise it hardly goes to waste. If it works out to be a viable engine lube great, if not it will be refined, distilled or whatever into something useful. Tire shine?, cup lids and coffee mugs?

I think the maintenance schedule has more to do with it than the oil. I don't doubt for one second Devon Perry's claims about the performance of the recycled oil. I would prefer to look into it first though, If they are able to restore the molecular properties of the reclaimed oil to that of original, I see no reason not to use it.

I don't disagree with you at all, but I still want to see dealers using it first before I try and save a couple of bucks per oil change for my engines.

-Dave

I don't disagree with you at all, but I still want to see dealers using it first before I try and save a couple of bucks per oil change for my engines.

-Dave

Believe me, I hear ya. Once they tag it with the green label, the cost of it will double and it's use will be mandated. In the building trades, going green or leed = high priced garbage with little environmental improvement.......sorry...... sawl good and back to the virtues of recycled oil

If it meets or exceeds manufacturers recommended specifications, everyone should use it. The only way to bring down fuel prices is to reduce demand for oil.

If you think about all the vehicles on the road that use oil (1 highway truck can have a capacity of 40+ gallons), this is a way to actually reduce demand for oil from countries that don't like us.

I agree with the OP that recycled oil is the way of the future, seems like such a waste to use it once for 50 hours and then discard it.

Not trying to start one of those big debates, but I think if we reduce the demand those companies that dislik us will just reduce the supply proportionally, and the price will remain unchanged. We need a competing product (like electic cars, but those are a ways off from being a cometiting product) to really reduce the price (IMHO).

Believe me, I hear ya. Once they tag it with the green label, the cost of it will double and it's use will be mandated. In the building trades, going green or leed = high priced garbage with little environmental improvement.......sorry...... sawl good and back to the virtues of recycled oil

Oh so very true.....

Considering what oil looks like when it first comes out of the ground, and that they refine it into the oil we use today..... seems like refining used oil wouldn't be all that big a deal. :unsure:

Even if we only used it in low RPM engines, eg; lawn mowers, pressure washers, golf carts, snow blowers, etc. Might make a pretty big dent in things.

It's called reactive chemistry folks and it makes many things possible.

However, the question yet to answered is what is the refinement process of this 'used' oil and before it is re-bottled and sold.

Regardless I will continue to use full synthetic oil as I have done for years.

Not trying to start one of those big debates, but I think if we reduce the demand those companies that dislik us will just reduce the supply proportionally, and the price will remain unchanged. We need a competing product (like electic cars, but those are a ways off from being a cometiting product) to really reduce the price (IMHO).

My diesel Jetta gets 30% better fuel economy than the gas powered version. The newones (TDi) dont stink either. Ever since I bought the Jetta I have wondered why the environmental left has not embraced diesel technology.

Now back to Oil

I would like to see some more testing, from an indipendent lab. maybe send it through Ford's torture test for the Ecoboost and then an live tear down.,