Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The oil that is going to change all oils.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 85 Barefoot

• footnlongline

• Bobby Light

• Malibudude

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW, I would put more weight behind what 06 says about oil than any source on the Internet. he knows his s*** and if you don't want to believe it, it's no skin off his back. The only thing at stake here in the end is money and the environment. I'll leave the debate of how those two things fan out to the smart people in the room.

FWIW, I would put more weight behind what 06 says about oil than any source on the Internet. he knows his s*** and if you don't want to believe it, it's no skin off his back. The only thing at stake here in the end is money and the environment. I'll leave the debate of how those two things fan out to the smart people in the room.

:lol: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I agree, I'm done with this one, it ain't worth it.

Done with what? I'd love for you to ask the people that "engineer" the oil to explain how synthetic has longer intervals if the only reason to change is contamination. If that's all bologna I for one want to hear it, obviously many others. You're the one that offerred after all, now "it ain't worth it?" What's not worth it? I have said nothing other than what every single website and information I have ever come across says and you dispute it, so lets hear the explanation.

Maybe he does, but the best (only) source he produces is wikipedia? If he's right, he's right, great, but doesn't give him the right to be smart when there is an abundance of opinions to the contrary. I hope he does ask some "engineers", I'd love to hear what they say, whether that makes the sources I've posted wrong or not.

Maybe I should go stay at a Holiday Inn Express and then try reading this again. :crazy:

Fairly technical read on oil degradation.

Can someone synthesize that into plain English for us "slower" people in the room. :lol:

I feel light-headed after reading that. :)

That was a cool read...but wait, according to that, oil does break down, it doesnt just get contaminated. Weird. :lol:

All I know is, no sloppy seconds for ma baby :beer:

Steve B.

:plus1:

I will never put used oil in anything I own. I don't care how re-conditioned it is.

I don't use shampoo twice.

HEre is something else from Car Craft magazine. Pretty easy read and explains some of the reasoning behnd the "higher life" of the systhetics.

Synthetic oils, pioneered in the '70s by Mobil and now available from most major oil companies, take the all-season, multiviscosity approach to the outer limits. Unlike traditional mineral oils that are produced by distillation and further refining of existing crude oil stock, synthetic lubricants are made through chemical reactions. These new oils aren't synthetic or artificial in the sense that they're manufactured out of whole cloth--they still have the same natural ingredients found in "real" oil. But in a synthetic lubricant, these ingredients are recombined like a Lego set to yield synthesized-hydrocarbon molecular chains with desirable characteristics and uniformity not found in even the highest-quality traditional motor oils. Typically, the best synthetic oils use a combination of up to three different synthetic base fluids--polyalphaolefin (PAO), synthetic esters, and alkylated aromatics.

Because a synthetic oil's molecules are much more consistent in size and shape, they are better able to withstand extreme engine temperatures. By contrast, the unstable molecules in conventional oil can easily vaporize or oxidize in extreme heat. Mobil 1 synthetic is said to be capable of protecting engines "at well over 400 degrees F"; in the real world, most racers have no problem running synthetics up to 290 degrees F under prolonged use, but they get really jumpy when a conventional exceeds 270 degrees F.

Because a synthetic oil is chemically produced, there are no contaminants in the oil. By contrast, conventional oils contain small amounts of sulfur, wax, and asphaltic material that can promote detonation as well as varnish and sludge buildup. With no wax, synthetics will flow at much lower temperatures than conventional oils. In fact, synthetic oils are now available with viscosity ratings as low as 0W-30, as in Mobil 1's new Tri-Synthetic blend or Castrol Formula SLX. These oils flow more than seven times faster than a conventional 5W-30 motor oil during initial start-up, yet at normal operating temperatures act like a regular Grade 30 oil.

An 0W-30 synthetic oil is capable of pumping easily at -62 degrees F and flowing at even lower temperatures. Conventional oils are essentially frozen solid at that temperature, so there's simply no conventional equivalent to this new grade. There are 5W-30 conventional and synthetic oils, but even here, the synthetic has a real-world advantage: Mobil 1's 5W-30 will pump at -58-degrees F, compared to about -35-degrees F for a conventional oil.

“We select only the highest quality recycled base oils for NextGen”

I would be curious to know what their definition is of “highest quality” is and what they do with the low quality oil.

HEre is something else from Car Craft magazine. Pretty easy read and explains some of the reasoning behnd the "higher life" of the systhetics.

Thanks, good article. Yet another source that demonstrates that oil must get changed for many other reasons besides contamination.

I have used synthetics in some but not all of my stuff but after reading so much, im going synthetic in everything from now on!

martinarcher

Thanks, good article. Yet another source that demonstrates that oil must get changed for many other reasons besides contamination.

I have used synthetics in some but not all of my stuff but after reading so much, im going synthetic in everything from now on!

Good choice. It's good stuff...after rebuilding an engine that had a coolant hose failure (wife's car - she ran it until it stopped :Doh:) I am a true believer. I had been using synthetic in that engine from 40k changing at 10k intervals. The rebuild was done at 123k. The inside of that engine was absolutely spotless. Not a trace of wear on the cams, valves, etc. Unreal. The sludge I had seen in engines running dino oil.....didn't exist. The engine was spotless inside. Pretty awesome stuff.

The real deal is this. The oil itself does not break down, it gets contaminated by doing it's job and that reduces the lubricity of it because it has alot of extra crap in it.

I'm thinking 06VLX might know a little something about this...I will go with what he Say's... :whistle: So why then does Synthetic last longer?? Edited by Wakesetter67

:plus1:

I will never put used oil in anything I own. I don't care how re-conditioned it is.

I don't use shampoo twice.

Ya know I can get 4 days out of a pair of socks....its all about the rotation.

I'm thinking 06VLX might know a little something about this...I will go with what he Say's... :whistle:So why then does Synthetic last longer??

Because the marketing departments say it can..... :)

I'm thinking 06VLX might know a little something about this...I will go with what he Say's... :whistle: So why then does Synthetic last longer??

Synthetic does not last longer in an Indmar Engine...Indmar Manual states that if you switch to Synthetic, that you still change the oil every 50 hours.

Synthetic does not last longer in an Indmar Engine...Indmar Manual states that if you switch to Synthetic, that you still change the oil every 50 hours.

Ya I change mine every year in the boat, But my Denali I change it every 5000 miles, Conventional oil around 3000. It;s amazing on our last BMW they said to change it every 15000 miles, So I guess it;s who ever you talk to and trust.. I always change it sooner rather then let it go as long as it can.. I'm still a believer in full Synthetic oil's Always use it and never had an oil related problem in any of my Car's boats , and Hot rods....

Of all the reading I have done the last 24 hours, one of the primary reasons oil needsot be changed is the introduction of water to the oil system (not from cooling system, from the combustion), which, in cars is less of an issue because once warm, the engine "burns off" the water. Our boats run at FAR lower temps than cars and it woukld appear, that has an effect on the ability of our engines to burn that off. So, my guess is that 50 hours is used to ensure that water contamination is managed.

Makes sense to me!! The oil maybe less degraded but the contaminates from combustion are still present at the same levels. I prefer to change my oil more frequently, which makes the choice of traditional / synthetic less important. I think spending money on a higher quality filter and more changes will give equal wear resistance to a high dollar synthetic that you can leave in the engine longer.

I am no engineer, just seems like common sense. Every one wants to sell you the latest and greatest wizzbang tech but do you really need it or have they just convinced you that you do.

Makes sense to me!! The oil maybe less degraded but the contaminates from combustion are still present at the same levels. I prefer to change my oil more frequently, which makes the choice of traditional / synthetic less important. I think spending money on a higher quality filter and more changes will give equal wear resistance to a high dollar synthetic that you can leave in the engine longer.

I am no engineer, just seems like common sense. Every one wants to sell you the latest and greatest wizzbang tech but do you really need it or have they just convinced you that you do.

WHOA...Did hell just freeze over

jkendallmsce

Maybe he does, but the best (only) source he produces is wikipedia? If he's right, he's right, great, but doesn't give him the right to be smart when there is an abundance of opinions to the contrary. I hope he does ask some "engineers", I'd love to hear what they say, whether that makes the sources I've posted wrong or not.

Maybe 06 and others are simply tired of your "opinions." With your incessent expert opinions and sophomoric attempts to verbally browbeat everyone who disagrees with "your opinion",

maybe 06 being smart is the only way to deal with your constant in your face challenging and parcing of every word. Unless I am wrong, and I am sure you will offer your opinion, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion. Just glad I am not married to you, or a co-worker, or neighbor, or......

Just for your information not to start any thing, but I work for a very large Gov. Fleet and we have been using re-refined oil for a long time and have had no oil related issues from using it. Vehicles include heavy equipment, large Diesels, pickups, cars and the true test law enforcement fleet. I can guarantee that none of you have put your engines through what these cars get put through every day.