Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Project

martinarcher

martinarcher

Time to start putting parts in the boat. Yahoo.gif I have a box of parts that is nearing a complete system and will soon have the last few parts.

I started messing around with mounting my Perfect Pass servo today. I've never been a fan of the pics of servos hose clamped to exhaust or heater hoses so I was determined to make a stainless mount for my servo. I mocked one up using roof flashing that will fit/bolt on top of the tranny cable guide that bolts into the bell housing. I then flattened out my "prototype" and cut one out of 1/8" stainless plate. I pounded the two 90 degree bends into the plate using the vice and a torch. I then primed and painted it to match the engine. Hopefully I'll get it in tomorrow.

Just to double check....the servo pulls the throttle open as it winds the little rope up correct? I just want to double check before I get too far along. I found pics of a Merc with the cable coming from the front of the engine and it made me doubt my set-up.

Here's pics of the progress so far...

Prototype bracket made from roof flashing.

IMAG0245.jpg

Stainless Bracket cut-out.

IMAG0247.jpg

Test fit.

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

The paint is drying now...I'll drill holes and mount the servo on it tomorrow and then get it mounted in the boat.

IMAG0256.jpg

Edited by martinarcher
martinarcher

Man, I wish you lived near me. You really do things right! Looks good so far:rockon:

LOL.gif Thanks man. I'm hoping I'm headed in the right direction as the mount turned out pretty nice.

I'm new to PP and am piecing together used parts so hopefully I'll have something when I'm done. I know there's a lot of good folks here on the crew who are familiar with it so hopefully if my cables aren't routed right they'll straighten me out. Biggrin.gif

I have never been able to get my pp working right. learn all about it and at our oh/mi/pa/ky wow this year you can show me what i am doing wrong! :-)

LOL.gif Thanks man. I'm hoping I'm headed in the right direction as the mount turned out pretty nice.

I'm new to PP and am piecing together used parts so hopefully I'll have something when I'm done. I know there's a lot of good folks here on the crew who are familiar with it so hopefully if my cables aren't routed right they'll straighten me out. Biggrin.gif

You best be putting in a temporary wire from the MM to the servo because I mailed you the new one yesterday.

-Chris

Just to double check....the servo pulls the throttle open as it winds the little rope up correct? I just want to double check before I get too far along. I found pics of a Merc with the cable coming from the front of the engine and it made me doubt my set-up.

]

As far as I know, the servo should be oposite of your throtle cable, it closes the throttle once you have reached and exceeded the rpm/speed setting required. If I'm looking at your install wrong or misunderstood your post then disreguard my comment.

Correct, it all depends how your throttle cable is routed and which way it moves when the throttle is engaged. In the newer boats the throttle cable "pushes" the throttle plate open (toward the front of the boat) so the PP servo is mounted on the front of the motor and it "pulls" the throttle plate open.

Not sure how the older boats are setup, but if your setup was on a newer boat, you'd be backwards. I'm really hoping your throttle cable "pulls" to open that plate, otherwise get some hose clamps and mount that thing to the hose off the t-stat housing.

martinarcher

You best be putting in a temporary wire from the MM to the servo because I mailed you the new one yesterday.

-Chris

Thanks Chris. No wiring going in yet. I was planning on waiting for your wire before routing it to the helm.

martinarcher

Correct, it all depends how your throttle cable is routed and which way it moves when the throttle is engaged. In the newer boats the throttle cable "pushes" the throttle plate open (toward the front of the boat) so the PP servo is mounted on the front of the motor and it "pulls" the throttle plate open.

Not sure how the older boats are setup, but if your setup was on a newer boat, you'd be backwards. I'm really hoping your throttle cable "pulls" to open that plate, otherwise get some hose clamps and mount that thing to the hose off the t-stat housing.

My current cable pull the throttle into the open position.

The thing that made me doubt myself is the pics I found of the PP cable jacket mounted hard to the thottle plate and the cable looked like it then attached to the existing cable (after the existing cable is disconnected). I took the hacked cable you sent me, cut some jacket off it, then used some giant scale RC airplane control parts to attach the throttle plate to the end of the steel cable.

I'll get some better pics of the throttle area tonight when I install the servo. My new Teleflex throttle cable is on the way. The old one broke last fall and I threaded a temporary steel cable through to get me through the season.

martinarcher

Here we go...here's pics of the throttle set-up on the Setter as well as the bracket installed. As you can see the PP cable and the original throttle cable are both separately tied to the throttle. They both can pull it open. The original Teleflex cable has the ability to push it closed, but there is a return spring as you can see for me "temporary" cable. Biggrin.gif

You guys familiar with PP let me know if you think this will work.

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

martinarcher

Well I talked to Randy at Perfect Pass this morning. I sent him a few pics of my set-up and he's worried about the PP being able to slow the boat. The other thing I mentioned was last night looking at my set-up I realized a failure of either cable would not return the throttle to idle, but remain in gear at the last throttle position....not good.

Anyway, Randy was helpful and I now have a new cable, a brass "L" adapter (I'll show you guys how it works once I get it) and a 3->5 pin adapter to allow me to use the old paddlewheel with the Digital Pro module, and a 6.5NG chip for my master module.

Should be set once I get the shipment from PP. Yahoo.gif

martinarcher

I am totally blown away! I ordered the parts I needed from Perfect Pass yesterday morning and they arrived via FedEx this morning at 9:30AM! Holy Crap!!! They are in Canada!

I can't wait to get home from my trip tomorrow night....too bad the car needs break calipers before I can dig back into the boat!!!

I am totally blown away! I ordered the parts I needed from Perfect Pass yesterday morning and they arrived via FedEx this morning at 9:30AM! Hopy Crap!!! They are in Canada!

I can't wait to get home from my trip tomorrow night....too bad the car needs break calipers before I can dig back into the boat!!!

That's some serious service! Good to know.

martinarcher

Yep.....those are the pics...and parts Randy sent me. My throttle should look a lot like that shortly. Thumbup.gif

Thanks for posting them!

Edited by martinarcher
martinarcher

Well I got the Perfect Pass all installed last night and tried it out today. It rocks!!! Rockon.gif

Everything went in pretty well. The only issue I had was the new Teleflex throttle cable I bought doesn't have a "threaded coupling" on it. Instead it's a molded plastic end. I ended up making an adapter to make it work with the Perfect Pass cable. It turned out fine. I also needed to make a new throttle cable mount. I made one out of 1" square aluminum and moved the mounting point back about 3 inches. It works great and let everything mate up nicely. Here's the pics and a video of us surfing with it today! Yahoo.gif It keep the speed within 0.1mph and works awesome.

Used a bit of white out to highlight the arrow which helped get it mounted perfectly straight in the hull.

P5190208.jpg

Paddlewheel housing mounted....

P5190217.jpg

I adapted the servo mount I made out of stainless to work with the new cable. It's rock solid and keeps the servo right where I want it.

P5200218.jpg

P5200225.jpg

Module tucked under the dash. Everything wired in.

P5200224.jpg

Ground zero during the install. LOL.gif

P5200222.jpg

martinarcher

Thanks man! I'm pretty pumped about the install. It's certainly something I'll never be able to live without in the future. Biggrin.gif It's amazing how nice it is to just put the hammer down, wait for the beep, and then enjoy exactly the speed you wanted to pull. Pretty good stuff! I'm digging the new 6.5NG software as well. Pretty cool to save different profiles under rider names. Clap.gif

Glad everything works, nice job getting it done cheap!

If you have it could you PM me a picture of the end of the servo cable I sent you. I'm putting that engine in the Sporty today and something is wrong with the throttle plate/cable interface.

-Chris

martinarcher

Thanks Chris! Your a big part of the reason it was a successful project. Rockon.gif Thanks for all the help and parts!

Sorry I just got to this thread. I hope you haven't been waiting on pics all day! I've been in the garage all day and just got in.

I PM'ed you a link to a bunch of pics I just took of that cable. Hope they help.

martinarcher

This is so cool, I hope I can get mine set up this summer!!!

Yeah boy! I'll get the stuff sent out to you as soon as I can. I'm on the road until Friday night. Probably will go out Monday. Thumbup.gif