Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Perfect Pass edition??

msuwaterski

I have not spent enough money on my boat yet this year (we need a smiley face for heavy sarcasm) so I am looking to add Perfect Pass. My question is which edition of Perfect Pass, seems like there is 100 of them? I see a lot of Wakeboard additions being sold on this site and the sellers all say that they are getting rid of it to upgrade. Is the Wakeboard addition an inferior version?

Here are my specs:

'01 Sunsetter Lxi

We ski the slalom course at 34 and 32 mph, no magnets in the course, not too worried about being 100% in tollerance.

We wakeboard

We surf

What PP would work for me?

Thanks, Jeff

If you want to go new and you are primarily on a lake or water that doesnt have a fast current(4mph or less) then the stargazer wake edition is probably the way to go. It uses GPS for the speed control, so suppose to be the best for surfing. At higher speeds for slalom you can use the RPM mode. It does not use the paddle wheel which can be good and bad.

You can always call the Perfect Pass guys and tell them what you're looking for and they are super helpful.

If you can find one, PP classic will work just fine, especially on a non-DBW boat. If you upgrade to GPS (Stargazer), there is a little bit of a learning curve to get the settings right for a non-DBW boat, but its great when set up. A magnet on the gates would be a big plus for this. Also, a Zero Off emulator is in the works which will be a plug and play and adds an accelerometer for the new Stargazer Three Event. I agree that if you call PP they are super helpful, but if you buy through a PP dealer you might get a little price break in addition to free shipping. No price break if you buy direct from PP.

If you can find one, PP classic will work just fine, especially on a non-DBW boat. If you upgrade to GPS (Stargazer), there is a little bit of a learning curve to get the settings right for a non-DBW boat, but its great when set up. A magnet on the gates would be a big plus for this. Also, a Zero Off emulator is in the works which will be a plug and play and adds an accelerometer for the new Stargazer Three Event. I agree that if you call PP they are super helpful, but if you buy through a PP dealer you might get a little price break in addition to free shipping. No price break if you buy direct from PP.

Good info, thanks. Quick question, what's a DBW boat?

Yes, your boat has a mechanical throttle cable like mine. Make sure if you look for a used unit that you get a PP unit that is for a mechanical throttle cable, because the units made for DBW just plug into the computer and are not compatible with a mechanical throttle boat--at least that's what I was told when I was looking.

I have not spent enough money on my boat yet this year (we need a smiley face for heavy sarcasm) so I am looking to add Perfect Pass. My question is which edition of Perfect Pass, seems like there is 100 of them? I see a lot of Wakeboard additions being sold on this site and the sellers all say that they are getting rid of it to upgrade. Is the Wakeboard addition an inferior version?

Here are my specs:

'01 Sunsetter Lxi

We ski the slalom course at 34 and 32 mph, no magnets in the course, not too worried about being 100% in tollerance.

We wakeboard

We surf

What PP would work for me?

Thanks, Jeff

Either "classic" (digital pro) or stargazer (wake board or three event) will wrok for you. even wakeboard pro would be OK. How technical you wnat to get in slalom is the deciding factor. Slalom "mode" on digital pro is pretty complicated but is needed to give the smoothest pull. It's also the system that's cheapest because that's what people are ditching for stargazer. Stargazer is simplest and will allow you have speeds accurate immediately whereas digital pro will require magnets to get the baselines set up correctly.

Either "classic" (digital pro) or stargazer (wake board or three event) will wrok for you. even wakeboard pro would be OK. How technical you wnat to get in slalom is the deciding factor. Slalom "mode" on digital pro is pretty complicated but is needed to give the smoothest pull. It's also the system that's cheapest because that's what people are ditching for stargazer. Stargazer is simplest and will allow you have speeds accurate immediately whereas digital pro will require magnets to get the baselines set up correctly.

Great information, thanks. So is it the Digital Pro version that uses the paddle wheel?

Great information, thanks. So is it the Digital Pro version that uses the paddle wheel?

They both have paddle wheel if you want but ppass requires paddlewheel if you are using speed-based programs on digital pro....slalom "mode" works off rpm but I think you have to have paddlewheel for it to engage in slalom mode....if you didn't know, the slalom mode doesn't work off speed on the classic system, it works off a "baseline" RPM then then gets adjusted by cre weight, skier weight, switch, and kx (aggressiveness of throttle), and there are even some more settings. I'd get stargazer because that will be required to get zero off emulator fro what I have been told.

They both have paddle wheel if you want but ppass requires paddlewheel if you are using speed-based programs on digital pro....slalom "mode" works off rpm but I think you have to have paddlewheel for it to engage in slalom mode....if you didn't know, the slalom mode doesn't work off speed on the classic system, it works off a "baseline" RPM then then gets adjusted by cre weight, skier weight, switch, and kx (aggressiveness of throttle), and there are even some more settings. I'd get stargazer because that will be required to get zero off emulator fro what I have been told.

Just some clarification based on my Digital Pro (mechanical).

- In slalom mode the paddle wheel isn't used at all. It is purely RPM. You can have the paddle wheel disconnected.

- You can use a hand switch (rather than magnets) for set-up.

- you'll get pretty darn close having someone watch a GPS while running through the course. Getting WR times under 34mph is really tough on this system. I think it is both skiier consistency and the advantage the boat has on the skiier at 34.

Just some clarification based on my Digital Pro (mechanical).

- In slalom mode the paddle wheel isn't used at all. It is purely RPM. You can have the paddle wheel disconnected.

- You can use a hand switch (rather than magnets) for set-up.

- you'll get pretty darn close having someone watch a GPS while running through the course. Getting WR times under 34mph is really tough on this system. I think it is both skiier consistency and the advantage the boat has on the skiier at 34.

Are you sure that the paddlewheel isn't used for grabbing?

true, though far easier with mags and smart timer and more accurate