Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why does Malibu not use Walters Vdrive?

Fman

Is there a reason why Malibu does not use Walters Vdrive units? From what I can see my 2011 has the ZF Vdrive (takes ATF). Is this a better unit than the Walters? I have been told the Walters units were pretty much bulletproof. How does the ZF compare? What is the maintenace required on the ZF? Fluid extraction and re-fill? at what service hour interval is this required? Does anyone know exactly what "model" is in the 2011 VLX?

Thanks for any information.

The transmissions and v-drives on all these boats are pretty much bulletproof.

Its a hurth ski-vee unit you have now. One benefit is one less fluid type to buy - the trans and v-drive both take ATF.

I'm sure you'll find the proper maintenance interval in your owners manual, but I think its 300 hours or annually.

MalibuNation

I believe pre-06 bus had the Walters. No clue why they changed. I never saw a history of problems.

+1 mine is a Walters.

I believe pre-06 bus had the Walters. No clue why they changed. I never saw a history of problems.

I'm not sure but I think the ski-vee unit shorter than the hurth-walters combo.