Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking of getting a new boat..am I crazy?

Sunscape fan

Hi everyone. I currently own a 2007 Malibu Sunscape 23lsv. I took it in to the dealer for de-winterization this past week and now I'm thinking of maybe trading it in on a new Wakesetter. Am I crazy? It's a really nice boat. It has the hammerhead and is optioned out averagely. No ballast, but it does have the power wedge. I'm really not sure why I want a new boat other than they are just so damn COOL!! Especially the malivue and the other touch screens. When I bought my current boat, I figured I would never sell it, but here I am thinking of it. Oh I forgot to mention, it has only 40 hours on it! We usually go out a lot, but we mostly drift or tie up to a stump as our crew is pretty small. Usually it's just my wife, my daughter and I. My daughter is only 5 so she's a bit young to spot for us. We tried it and she didn't tell me mommy had fallen :oops: ....I ended up going about 500 yards before I realized it. That didn't go over very well with my wife. So is anybody else in the same spot I am? Wondering if pulling the trigger on a new boat is a good idea?

Edited by Sunscape fan

And if you are thinking about it obviously this seriously, then it's only a matter of time until one comes along that you have to have.

Enjoy the process and good luck,

Steve B.

Hi everyone. I currently own a 2007 Malibu Sunscape 23lsv. I took it in to the dealer for de-winterization this past week and now I'm thinking of maybe trading it in on a new Wakesetter. Am I crazy? It's a really nice boat. It has the hammerhead and is optioned out averagely. No ballast, but it does have the power wedge. I'm really not sure why I want a new boat other than they are just so damn COOL!! Especially the malivue and the other touch screens. When I bought my current boat, I figured I would never sell it, but here I am thinking of it. Oh I forgot to mention, it has only 40 hours on it! We usually go out a lot, but we mostly drift or tie up to a stump as our crew is pretty small. Usually it's just my wife, my daughter and I. My daughter is only 5 so she's a bit young to spot for us. We tried it and she didn't tell me mommy had fallen :oops: ....I ended up going about 500 yards before I realized it. That didn't go over very well with my wife. So is anybody else in the same spot I am? Wondering if pulling the trigger on a new boat is a good idea?

Thats nuts man,lets see 5 years old,only 40 hrs thats like 8 hrs per year.plus the depresation rate .If your happy with the one you have with no payments,keep it.unless you've got way to much money to spend.if so I'll send ya my address :thumbup:

If you are looking for validation you came to the right place.

of course you need a new boat!! New tower, new electronics, get ballast...I hear the new VLX drifts really well and are way safer than the '07 models.

What color are you getting?

You really need to take this to the next step and stop P**** footing around.

Have the dealer email some pics of the boat or pull them off his website, post them on here so we can really rev you up. Then we can all chime in on ideas and angles to win the wife over to make this go as smoothly as possible for all of us. :whistle:

Edited by nyryan2001

Man, if your wife is ok with it and your wallet can take it, go for it. As they say, we only live once. And dude, as I get older, that rings truer and truer. How many more years are you going to be running around with a boat thinking about ballast and wakeboarding etc.? Enjoy your life, (just don't do something stupid).

The best boat is the one you bought brand new and took care of for-ever.

The same goes for travel trailers and pickup trucks.

Hull technology probably peaked in 2003.

The only thing added now is the size of the amplifier and the speakers.

There is no way you can wear out a boat.

The trick is to get a really good boat to start and keep it in top shape and get really familiar with it , so that when it has issues you have already been there and the repair that took 4 hours to fix the first time takes 30 minutes to do the next time.

It is expensive to trade anything. You will not get what you want for your current boat because you have new boat fever. You won't buy a new boat at the price you want because you have new boat fever.

Save your money. Make sure you grease your trailer bearings, maybe change your current tires for some that have a higher load rating such as load range D or E. Pull the maintenance on your engine, transmission, and running gear in your boat and your truck.

My boat is 20 years old this year. I have been enjoying the boat ramp accolades for how cool it is to have a perfect cherry 10 year old boat for a decade now. Ask Martin Archer how cool it is to be in the square windshield club if your boat is cherry.

My crew is 2 square windshield boats and 2 curved windshield boats. The square windshield boats get used just as much as the new boats.

You already knew the answer. Spend some elbow grease on the old outdated 2007 piece of j_n_ Malibu.

Don't do it. :) If you get weak of heart have your wife email me. :lol:

Spend the money to hire a ski-boat nanny to go along with you on outings. She can help with the 5 year old and be a spotter.

And if you are smart, she will be a looker as well.

Frequent visitors probably are tired of this advice from me.

I tow three boats in my crew. When we take my boat somebody else tows. We do not need 4 boats.

The best thing you can do to increase your boating experience is to find somebody that has a good tow rig and want's to go boating. This person does not need a boat. He needs to be somebody you like and trust because he is going to drive your boat 95% of the time when you are skiing. He does not need to be a good skier.

He does not need to buy any ski equipment. He can use yours. After a couple of years he will end up buying the updated version of your ski so that he has his own. The same goes for vests and gloves. He does not need to be somebody in your closest circle of friends now. Over time he will become your summer buddy. You may or may not end up with a few outings a year that both families go boating together. There will be occasions when your family goes boating and he goes along without his family. There will be occasions when his family goes along with you alone and your family is off on another activity, say doing girl stuff.

The procedure is: he has a good tow rig, he buys all the fuel that goes in the truck, he buys the parking permit at your local boat ramp, and he is careful with your trailer. He needs to be proficient in the art of trailer backing, wiping down the boat at the end of the day, and be willing to go in the water to get your boat straight on the trailer after you missed the approach. You can teach him all of these things. He is the last guy in the boat at launch and the first guy let out at the ramp dock so he can get the trailer to the ramp.

This guy saves your marriage. You and he become very proficient at boat ramp bingo . Your wife absolutely loves this guy because she can just enjoy boating because you two "boys" do all of the hard work and make it look easy.

How did I get so wise ? :lol: Six decades of boating.

The best boat is the one you bought brand new and took care of for-ever.

The same goes for travel trailers and pickup trucks.

Hull technology probably peaked in 2003.

The only thing added now is the size of the amplifier and the speakers.

There is no way you can wear out a boat.

The trick is to get a really good boat to start and keep it in top shape and get really familiar with it , so that when it has issues you have already been there and the repair that took 4 hours to fix the first time takes 30 minutes to do the next time.

It is expensive to trade anything. You will not get what you want for your current boat because you have new boat fever. You won't buy a new boat at the price you want because you have new boat fever.

Save your money. Make sure you grease your trailer bearings, maybe change your current tires for some that have a higher load rating such as load range D or E. Pull the maintenance on your engine, transmission, and running gear in your boat and your truck.

My boat is 20 years old this year. I have been enjoying the boat ramp accolades for how cool it is to have a perfect cherry 10 year old boat for a decade now. Ask Martin Archer how cool it is to be in the square windshield club if your boat is cherry.

My crew is 2 square windshield boats and 2 curved windshield boats. The square windshield boats get used just as much as the new boats.

You already knew the answer. Spend some elbow grease on the old outdated 2007 piece of j_n_ Malibu.

Don't do it. :) If you get weak of heart have your wife email me. :lol:

X3 I totally agree here. From how many hours are on it, its not worth trading in your 2007. Its practically brand new and plus they will bend you over!!! You do what i use to do, go out and float/drift around. The question you should be asking, is it worth buying a new Bu to float around on? Resist the temptation, I know its hard. Just my .02

You all make very very valid points, the ones for and the ones against. Two main reasons is the boat is now out of warranty and the tower is obselete(I have the illusionX)

I think the new boat dream is crushed anyway. My wife saw me looking at Ispec :Doh: and said, "you're not actually considering a new boat are you? What's wrong with our boat?Uhh, we're not getting a new boat!" I can see this will be a lot harder than I thought :whistle: This will take a very precise plan.

As for colors, I'm thinking all black with two red accents in the "classic" color scheme. It would be soo nice.... I think I'm still a long way from making the deal though.....lol

Edited by Sunscape fan

You all make very very valid points, the ones for and the ones against. Two main reasons is the boat is now out of warranty and the tower is obselete(I have the illusionX)

I think the new boat dream is crushed anyway. My wife saw me looking at Ispec :Doh: and said, "you're not actually considering a new boat are you? What's wrong with our boat?Uhh, we're not getting a new boat!" I can see this will be a lot harder than I thought :whistle: This will take a very precise plan.

As for colors, I'm thinking all black with two red accents in the "classic" color scheme. It would be soo nice.... I think I'm still a long way from making the deal though.....lol

Wait a second, you don't have the wife's approval? You obviously haven't beeen married long. This topic is dead, close it out!!

It's only money you'll make more.

Welllll...ya I guess. I know you can't take it to the grave, but the money is a big part of it. Right now I don't know how much the difference between my boat and the boat I want would be. I know how much I'm willing to spend, but I'm not sure if it's enough...lol. Right now I have no payments, which is pretty nice. If I'm right, I'll end up with payments for probably 3 years. Not a terrible thought, but not a great one either. My boat is in pristine condition. It literally looks brand new, as a boat with 40 hours should. So I really think I must be crazy

Wait a second, you don't have the wife's approval? You obviously haven't beeen married long. This topic is dead, close it out!!

Well I thought I did!!!.... When I first broached the subject she seemed to be tentatively on board(no pun intended). But then tonight she thought I was crazy. Women!!! :Frustrated: I've been married for almost 6 years, so I have her figured out, I mean I think I have her figured out, I mean..... oh nevermind

I tried to post the Ispec pictures, but when I saved them, they were all grainy...really crappy.

I tow three boats in my crew. When we take my boat somebody else tows. We do not need 4 boats.

The best thing you can do to increase your boating experience is to find somebody that has a good tow rig and want's to go boating. This person does not need a boat. He needs to be somebody you like and trust because he is going to drive your boat 95% of the time when you are skiing. He does not need to be a good skier.

He does not need to buy any ski equipment. He can use yours. After a couple of years he will end up buying the updated version of your ski so that he has his own. The same goes for vests and gloves. He does not need to be somebody in your closest circle of friends now. Over time he will become your summer buddy. You may or may not end up with a few outings a year that both families go boating together. There will be occasions when your family goes boating and he goes along without his family. There will be occasions when his family goes along with you alone and your family is off on another activity, say doing girl stuff.

The procedure is: he has a good tow rig, he buys all the fuel that goes in the truck, he buys the parking permit at your local boat ramp, and he is careful with your trailer. He needs to be proficient in the art of trailer backing, wiping down the boat at the end of the day, and be willing to go in the water to get your boat straight on the trailer after you missed the approach. You can teach him all of these things. He is the last guy in the boat at launch and the first guy let out at the ramp dock so he can get the trailer to the ramp.

This guy saves your marriage. You and he become very proficient at boat ramp bingo . Your wife absolutely loves this guy because she can just enjoy boating because you two "boys" do all of the hard work and make it look easy.

THIS IS SO TRUE! We all need a good boat slut!! or two!! :rockon:

Many here already know how I'm going to answer. It comes down to if you can afford it. If you have to take out a loan you can't afford it.

All I can say is thank you for doing your part in stimulating this down economy.

All an interesting take, but the OP was asking about thoughts about upgrading the boat he already has.

TO OP, if you were looking at a new 23 footer they are 2 inches wider than your current boat. Whether you're "crazy" or not looking at a new boat, that's just up to the value of the good times you have on the water and whether you would see a higher value with a new boat. Some people get new boats annually because it's their primary source of enjoyment. It's not right or wrong, they spend their money how they want and they enjoy buying new boats. It's all up to you. Sounds like your family enjoys your time together on the boat so, if a new boat will make that time more njoyable, have at it.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

to the wife...

--new boat is wider making it more stable and safer!

--current boat is already 4 years old...now is the time to maximize your return on investment...the value is going to continue to drop, 3 more years and you are trying to flog a 7-8 year old boat.

--Price increase every year on new boats, as your value goes down the cost of a new boat goes up.

--Once you have this new boat, it will be the last boat you will ever need... :whistle: