Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gah. Quagga mussels in my lake.

shawndoggy

Bummer. Just saw a newspaper article that our local water hole is infested. Wonder if that's going to cause Bullards to accelerate its inspection protocols? If it doesn't get Yuba county moving soon, it might be too late, because I know lots of Reno folks hit both places. Grrrrr.

Edited by shawndoggy

Livewells and ballast tanks (bags) are going to make it impossible to stop the spread unless they just stop allowing access to out-of-state vessels. I just e-mailed a link to that article to the marina at Bullard's.

I'm basically in the midst of removing my (1) ballast bag just so I don't have a problem at inspection stations.

This basically consists of a full port ball valve in front of the ballast fill pump. When I go to Bullards, there won't be any bag in my ski locker. I don't really think I need it anyway.

Livewells and ballast tanks (bags) are going to make it impossible to stop the spread unless they just stop allowing access to out-of-state vessels. I just e-mailed a link to that article to the marina at Bullard's.

So-Cal is already pretty infested, so in state/out of state offers pretty permeable protection.

CaliforniaDreissenaMap.jpg

I'm certain the much greater fear than Bullards is Lake Tahoe becoming infested (which in turn would mean Donner, Prosser, Boca, Stampede, and Pyramid, not to mention it being a place where people drag their boats from all over).

Or Almanor for that matter.... where folks from Chico go, and then head to Oroville....

A bummer for sure.

Bullards built an inspection station at the end of last year, they said they were going to be checking all boats this year. I drive over from Reno all the time about 1 out of 10 inspection dudes at the bug station knows to check the center drain plug. The other nine think everything is AOK if you have the rear plug out.

One guy told me they check all Nevada boats because there are mussels are in Mead. Don't worry about Tahoe, they go freaking crazy with the inspections up there.

I find it interesting that Lake Mathews has the mussels # 5 on your list, and it is a closed lake (no public access) for water treatment. So they were carried by open water flow alone. Also did I here that they can starve themselves out?

• 1 month later...

FYI, the agricultural inspection station actually took a much closer look at the boat this time. Asked where I'd been and when I said Lahontan they were very thorough about looking for water in the bilge. It would be a good idea for Nevadans to keep a towel on the boat to stick in the bilge and get every last drop out after a trip on a Nevada lake if you plan on going to CA in the future. Probably wouldn't hurt to pour a little bleach in the bilge too.

...It would be a good idea for Nevadans to keep a towel on the boat to stick in the bilge and get every last drop out after a trip on a Nevada lake if you plan on going to CA in the future. Probably wouldn't hurt to pour a little bleach in the bilge too.

Better yet, don't come over the hill to CA lakes if you've been on infested waters recently. Those mussels can live in a ballast bag / tank for weeks.

lahotan has the zebra mussel now, the inspection station on the way to frenchmans asked if i'd been to lahotan thank god i just go to frenchmans although not anymore since the bu wnt to a new owner yesterday :cry: