Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 VTX observations and issues

obski

Well we managed to get out for some more skiing and boarding behind the new VTX yesterday and again had a great time despite the steady rain at the end of the session. Everything dries out eventually.

Some observations:

The boat handles nimbly like a sports car. The Monsoon is effortless and makes it really easy on a slalom pull out. The start on full ballast and wedge deployed wakeboarding is also smooth, getting on plane quickly. The auto power wedge really helps with this as compared to the fixed wedge on the last boat.

The slalom wake, while bigger, is still very soft and skiable even with a full tank of gas and a full crew.

The windshield is lower than it was on my VLX. Not necessarily a good thing when it is dumping down rain. I had to sit up higher when it was raining in order to see and watch out for debris and got a face full of rain.

The heating element we had installed in the observer seat is awesome. It can really cook a bottom - better than the one we had on the last boat. My wife doesn't like to be cold.

Some issues:

The wind block doesn't fit right. The bottom is about 2cm smaller than the opening it is supposed to fit into. It sort of works. Dealer will be addressing.

The USB port doesn't work. The iPod input works fine, but can't get the USB port to do anything with several flash drives or with my Sansa mp3 player to do anything other than blink 'USB RD'.

The stereo fade is set to have the front be for the front cabin speakers and the rear be for the tower speakers and the rear cabin speakers. I want to have the fade be between the cabin and the tower as we usually just run the tower speakers. The dealer is going to have the stereo shop they work with address these last two issues. Hopefully the whole unit doesn't need to be replaced.

There is no heat at idle. I need to check the connections. The dealer gave me a line about how the catalytic converter makes the water cooler and thus no heat at idle. Anyone know anything about that? The heat is fine when underway.

Several of the ballast tanks are filling while underway slalom skiing. I had to continually monitor the tanks and keep emptying them. The dealer thinks that the MTC is turning on the pumps inappropriately, but it sounds to me like it could be how the fill lines are situated as has been documented by others. Something else that I and/or the dealer need to check and correct.

Again, all in all very happy with the boat. We have a few things to work out, but I'm confident that will happen.

Yeah the heater doesn't work at idle on mine either. Kind of a pain, but since I only use the heater probably 7-10 days out of the year not a big deal. The seat heater does, so that's a big plus for the driver :)

I never had heat at idle either. Also my ballast tanks in my 07 would fill up a little while skiing. At least the midship one did, mine didn't have bow ballast. I used to just close the valve and that solved it. I can guarantee that my pumps were not turning on!

Yeah the heater doesn't work at idle on mine either. Kind of a pain, but since I only use the heater probably 7-10 days out of the year not a big deal. The seat heater does, so that's a big plus for the driver :)

There is a thread on here somwhere that addresses the heat at idle issue. I think you can relocate the return line to get better water flow through the heater core.

There is a thread on here somwhere that addresses the heat at idle issue. I think you can relocate the return line to get better water flow through the heater core.

There is a thread about this, you should look at it.

Also, I don't think the catalytic converter would make a difference as the heater is drawing the water off of the manifold. The temperature should be the 160 degrees that the thermostat sets it at.

Well we managed to get out for some more skiing and boarding behind the new VTX yesterday and again had a great time despite the steady rain at the end of the session. Everything dries out eventually.

Some observations:

The boat handles nimbly like a sports car. The Monsoon is effortless and makes it really easy on a slalom pull out. The start on full ballast and wedge deployed wakeboarding is also smooth, getting on plane quickly. The auto power wedge really helps with this as compared to the fixed wedge on the last boat.

The slalom wake, while bigger, is still very soft and skiable even with a full tank of gas and a full crew. I fill my front ballast 1/2 full. Will make a noticable difference and the wake will be all that much smaller. The windshield is lower than it was on my VLX. Not necessarily a good thing when it is dumping down rain. I had to sit up higher when it was raining in order to see and watch out for debris and got a face full of rain.

The heating element we had installed in the observer seat is awesome. It can really cook a bottom - better than the one we had on the last boat. My wife doesn't like to be cold. Is this a factory option or a dealer mod? Some issues:

The wind block doesn't fit right. The bottom is about 2cm smaller than the opening it is supposed to fit into. It sort of works. Dealer will be addressing.

The USB port doesn't work. The iPod input works fine, but can't get the USB port to do anything with several flash drives or with my Sansa mp3 player to do anything other than blink 'USB RD'.

The stereo fade is set to have the front be for the front cabin speakers and the rear be for the tower speakers and the rear cabin speakers. I want to have the fade be between the cabin and the tower as we usually just run the tower speakers. The dealer is going to have the stereo shop they work with address these last two issues. Hopefully the whole unit doesn't need to be replaced. Your stereo guy will have to do this as mine is now set up as rear fade being tower speakers and interior being front. Not positive on this but if you dont have an amp for the intereiors you may need one in order to be able to set up the fades as you described. Again I may be wrong but worst cast is a new amp if you dont have one for interiors and one for towers. There is no heat at idle. I need to check the connections. The dealer gave me a line about how the catalytic converter makes the water cooler and thus no heat at idle. Anyone know anything about that? The heat is fine when underway. Common issue- you can do as bill described or drill the orfice out a bit. All may not agree with this approach but it is much easier than relocating your Y-fitting and it works fantastic for me. Regardless your boat obviously has to warm up to operating temp before any heat will be produced regardless of how you modify. Several of the ballast tanks are filling while underway slalom skiing. I had to continually monitor the tanks and keep emptying them. The dealer thinks that the MTC is turning on the pumps inappropriately, but it sounds to me like it could be how the fill lines are situated as has been documented by others. Something else that I and/or the dealer need to check and correct.

Again, all in all very happy with the boat. We have a few things to work out, but I'm confident that will happen. Diamond hull I assume?

Edited by old skool malibu

The observer heated seat is a dealer installed item. We had one on the last boat, but this one works better.

I need to get into the boat a check out how the heater lines are installed. I'm aware of how they should be, as I made the change with the Y-adapter with the last boat. I'm not sure that I buy the line that it is different with this one because of the cat.

It is on a cut diamond hull - it has the '3D' decal.:lol:

Something else I need to do is to make some changes to the hitch on the Tahoe. I have found that the Boatmate trailer tongue sits higher than the one on the Extreme did. When I was trailering yesterday, there was more wgt on the front tires than on the rear and I could barely get the jack up.

...Some observations:

The boat handles nimbly like a sports car. The Monsoon is effortless and makes it really easy on a slalom pull out....

That is for sure. VTX is a great boat!

Just found this on WW:

Boatmate says this on their site;

"The top of the ball should be about 18” to 19” in order to be level. When picking a drop hitch, be sure to compensate for vehicle suspension sag when the trailer tongue weight is applied."

Just found this on WW:

Boatmate says this on their site;

"The top of the ball should be about 18" to 19" in order to be level. When picking a drop hitch, be sure to compensate for vehicle suspension sag when the trailer tongue weight is applied."

Thanks.

The observer heated seat is a dealer installed item. We had one on the last boat, but this one works better.

I need to get into the boat a check out how the heater lines are installed. I'm aware of how they should be, as I made the change with the Y-adapter with the last boat. I'm not sure that I buy the line that it is different with this one because of the cat.

It is on a cut diamond hull - it has the '3D' decal.:lol:

Something else I need to do is to make some changes to the hitch on the Tahoe. I have found that the Boatmate trailer tongue sits higher than the one on the Extreme did. When I was trailering yesterday, there was more wgt on the front tires than on the rear and I could barely get the jack up.

Was just checking the malibu site and they only offer the observer seat heater if you have sport seating. Curious why Malibu only offers this for sport seating. Curious how your dealer did your set up. Do you have any pictures?

Was just checking the malibu site and they only offer the observer seat heater if you have sport seating. Curious why Malibu only offers this for sport seating. Curious how your dealer did your set up. Do you have any pictures?

I'll have to get out to the boat to take some pictures, although there is not a lot to see.

In both this boat and in the last one the heating element was installed under the vinyl on the observer's seat. It is the same element that is used in an auto application. In both, the wiring comes out from under the seat and has a disconnect so that you can completely remove the seat if needed. In the last boat, it was wired such that the on/off was one of the unused rocker switches on the dash. In the new boat it has a three way switch inside the glove box next to the audio connections. It has high, low, and off positions. The switch in the glove box is nice for the person sitting the seat, but I now have to remember to check and make sure it was turned off. I liked having the switch on the dash as it would light up when it was turned on and so it was a simple matter to look at the dash to see if anything still needed to be shut off when we were finished with a session on the water.

The heating element in the new boat is bigger and gets much hotter than the last one did. Very nice. We also keep a 12V plug in electric blanket nearby for the observer to use, and of course there is the snorkel from the heater. I have been thinking of getting the blanket that connects to the heater hose that is sold on the Bakes site.

i'm probably way behind on this but,

catalytic converter on a boat :Doh:

EXT CAT avaliabel on all motors but the LCR 320. LCR 320 not avaliable in CA.

:whistle:

EXT CAT avaliabel on all motors but the LCR 320. LCR 320 not avaliable in CA.

:whistle:

because boats contribute SO MUCH to air quality.

"going green", yeah the only people benefitting from the green are special interests and politicians. a-holes.

because boats contribute SO MUCH to air quality.

"going green", yeah the only people benefitting from the green are special interests and politicians. a-holes.

Common man this is a discussion about the VTX... :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Malibu has just released a update for the MTS control. We were having some problems with screen freezing up and buttons acting up. Dealer sent me a link. Downloaded to a thumb drive plugged in and got the system updated. Worked better in the garage. Hopefully a water test tomorrow!!!!!!!

As for the stereo we run the fade for tower vs cockpit. We have 3 amps and set up all sound on amps and run the stereo controls at neutral. Malibu just installs the stereos they do not set them up very well. Take your ride to a stereo shop and they will dial it in so good it ends up being a whole new system.

Malibu has just released a update for the MTS control. We were having some problems with screen freezing up and buttons acting up. Dealer sent me a link. Downloaded to a thumb drive plugged in and got the system updated. Worked better in the garage. Hopefully a water test tomorrow!!!!!!!As for the stereo we run the fade for tower vs cockpit. We have 3 amps and set up all sound on amps and run the stereo controls at neutral. Malibu just installs the stereos they do not set them up very well. Take your ride to a stereo shop and they will dial it in so good it ends up being a whole new system.

Are you refering to the MTC control? If you have the link address and how you did this, that would be great for others to have the information to perform this update.

Edited by Fman

Are you refering to the MTC control? If you have the link address and how you did this, that would be great for others to have the information to perform this update.

Yes, this is an update for the MTC.

I can't fiqure out how to attach the link they sent me. If you PM your email address I would be glad to forward you the email.

• 1 month later...

Well, just got the boat back from the 20hr service and got some things fixed, but still have some issues.

I got the walkthrough windblock replaced with one that fits.

I had the graphics removed as they were peeling off of both sides anyway, and I like the look much more. Much cleaner and not so 'busy'.

Malibu is going to replace the carpet in the rear storage areas where very sharp screws are exposed from the attachment of the rubrail.

Apparently the speakers couldn't be faded from the tower to the cabin without adding another amp, so I had them put another one in. Now the Maliview controls don't work to control the audio anymore and the right cabin speakers don't work at all. I also found that I had to turn the volume up to 'max' in order to hear behind the boat. The sub still hits too hard and when I adjust the gain on the sub, the left cabin speakers cut in and out. They also confirmed that the headunit doesn't work with the USB input, so that will have to be replaced also under warranty.

The ballast also still fills partially when underway without the pumps on. I had the fill lines checked, but they thought they were all fine.

All in all still very happy with the boat, but it is a pain to get these little issues fixed. At this point, I'm wishing that I had gone with an aftermarket audio installation, or maybe skipped the Maliview and MTC.

I bet Stereo King or Brian with Exile can help with your stereo troubles. Maybe ever for free. I know some dealers in town sub out some stereo stuff, ask AWS who they use.....