Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change Question

Hi All,

I meant to ask about this last fall when I changed the oil, but finally getting around to it now. Just want to make sure that I'm not running my boat low on oil.

So last fall when I was draining the oil, I used the drain tube that's connected to the oil pan AND I used a battery powered pump down the dipstick tube to make sure I got all the oil out.

I only got about 4 qts out including what was in the filter --> and the oil was at the full line before I changed it.

Then it took 4 qts to bring it back up to the full line (I topped it off after starting it up, so the filter was full as well). I'm a little concerned because the manual calls for 5.5 qts, but I don't want to overfill either.

Does 4 qts sound about right, or does it sound like the dipstick is off?

It's a 95 Malibu Response with the Mercruiser 5.7L EFI.

Make sure the front of your boat is lowered all the way when you remove the oil. Just keep the oil at the full mark on the dipstick.

Make sure the front of your boat is lowered all the way when you remove the oil. Just keep the oil at the full mark on the dipstick.

Boat was level when I changed the oil (same as it would be floating in the water).

Boat was level when I changed the oil (same as it would be floating in the water).

That's why you couldn't get all of the oil out.

go by the dip stick and not the amount, residual oil is often left when changing, you are always better off being a little low than too high

I know i may be in contention for dumb question of the season but, can you check your oil level while it is sitting in the water? Or do you have to put it on a trailer and lower the nose to make sure the pan is level to the ground to get an accurate reading? Also, is running 20w50 ok in the boat? The auto parts store i stopped at didnt have any 15w40 in stock.

Edited by Marmonick

I know i may be in contention for dumb question of the season but, can you check your oil level while it is sitting in the water? Or do you have to put it on a trailer and lower the nose to make sure the pan is level to the ground to get an accurate reading?

Water is fine, the dipstick is in the middle of the pan so the angle isn't too important.