Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Using Power Wedge

Big-K

Hey everyone

I would really like to understand the power wedge with more detail. I had a 1997 echelon with a wedge, that was pretty easy to use. The new rig is a 2007 VLX we were out today and i was trying to deploy the wedge while wakeboarding at 21.5 MPH. It would not deploy. Is there a max speed you can deploy the wedge from all the way up? Or is there somthing i need to do differntly next time so use it. From zero speed it would deploy no problem and i adjusted it while going 21.5 mph. Later on we were wakesurfing and i could not change it at all unless i was going less then 11 mph. Is this normal?

I would also llike to know where the wedge is in the water in relation to the guage on the dash. When the guage is sitting at almost 12 oclock is the wedge all the way down or sitting at 45 degrees? I would love for someone to explain in detail how the whole system works. I just want to understand it more without breaking somthing or doing damage.

Another question i have was i developed a steering rattle while towing a wakeboarder at 21.5 with the wedge down. All the sudden out of no where it just started. Later on once i put it on the lift i noticed there was some rope wrapped around the prop. Would this affect the steering and create a rattle?

Again if anyone could answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot in advance.

Kirk

Hey everyone

I would really like to understand the power wedge with more detail. I had a 1997 echelon with a wedge, that was pretty easy to use. The new rig is a 2007 VLX we were out today and i was trying to deploy the wedge while wakeboarding at 21.5 MPH. It would not deploy. Is there a max speed you can deploy the wedge from all the way up? Or is there somthing i need to do differntly next time so use it. From zero speed it would deploy no problem and i adjusted it while going 21.5 mph. Later on we were wakesurfing and i could not change it at all unless i was going less then 11 mph. Is this normal?

I would also llike to know where the wedge is in the water in relation to the guage on the dash. When the guage is sitting at almost 12 oclock is the wedge all the way down or sitting at 45 degrees? I would love for someone to explain in detail how the whole system works. I just want to understand it more without breaking somthing or doing damage.

Another question i have was i developed a steering rattle while towing a wakeboarder at 21.5 with the wedge down. All the sudden out of no where it just started. Later on once i put it on the lift i noticed there was some rope wrapped around the prop. Would this affect the steering and create a rattle?

Again if anyone could answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot in advance.

Kirk

yes to the steering a rope will do that, with the wedge. 12oclock pos. is the highest the wedge will go before it goes to the stow away pos. the further counter clock wise it goes the straigher the wedge pos. will be. more angle on the wedge the more drag on boat which will change the shape of your wake. as for the deploy i think there might be a max speed.

Just an FYI if you're not familiar with the Power Wedge, you must be moving at idle to put it from the down position to the stow position. That one gets some people some times.

Thanks for the info babaloo. Yes jimmy i Knew you have to be moving for the wedge to come back up. When everyone starts out of the hole do you have it at the 12 oclock position or drop it as your throttleing up?

thanks

Thanks for the info babaloo. Yes jimmy i Knew you have to be moving for the wedge to come back up. When everyone starts out of the hole do you have it at the 12 oclock position or drop it as your throttleing up?

thanks

I believe the newer wedges will actually drop to the lowest level (least amount of drag) when the boat reaches below 85% of the set speed (perfect pass). This was designed to not load the boat up at start up, and when making a turn it will drop the wedge down to make it easier to turn. After starting a pull, when you reach 85%+ of speed it will bring the wedge back up to its set position. I am not sure what year they started doing this, but I was told on the '11 models this is how it works.

Also, wedge will not deploy in "nuetral" for safety reasons, as other mentioned must be moving at low speed.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken. This is what was told to me by the dealer during the lake test. I just reached enough hours on the boat to start using the wedge, so I am going to be getting to know it better as well.

Appreciate the input fman!

One thing i forgot to mention with the rattle in the steering. It only rattles when taking off, and if i am turning then let off of the wheel and let it come back it rattles for a few seconds. doesnt do it all the time. Any ideas?

Thanks again

Appreciate the input fman!

One thing i forgot to mention with the rattle in the steering. It only rattles when taking off, and if i am turning then let off of the wheel and let it come back it rattles for a few seconds. doesnt do it all the time. Any ideas?

Thanks again

See this thread for the solution to your vibration issue. I had it and got the new arm and it works perfect now. If I had to do it again, I would not buy the arm and just make my own mod with a large chunk of metal bolted to the existing arm. It would also allow me to put it on in such a way to not have to reroute one of the hoses that gets in the way with the new "hammer" design.

weightillerarm_SM.jpg

Edited by Jimmypooh

wedge operation: your 07 is the same as my 06, here a couple things I have picked up.

1. you want to drop the wedge all the way down before you start your rider. This is the default position and provides both lots of downforce and minimal bow rise. you must do this either with the engine off, or at idle speed. It will not drop all the way past a few mph.

2. After your rider is up, gradually bring the wedge slightly up to get the wake shape you like. Your bow will rise, and the next time you start, you will get more bow rise than normal.

3. I think you figured this out, but the wedge will not go past a certain position above a few mph. generally you should either raise or lower while still. minor adjustments under way are ok. I have managed to trick mine by accelerating and dropping it, at a certain point is is basically perpendicular and feels like you are dragging a log. this is a bad thing, dont do it.

4. if you loose power (disconnect battery) your wedge will go all the way down according to the gauge. it may be right. it might not.

5. the gauge is more of a general indication of wedge position than an accurate measurement of where the wedge is. It should only be used a general guide (ie it is down, or up.)

on your vibration - anything interfering with the prop will cause some vibs. since vibrations are mostly harmonic, they will come at go at different rpm, speed or angle.

I believe the newer wedges will actually drop to the lowest level (least amount of drag) when the boat reaches below 85% of the set speed (perfect pass). This was designed to not load the boat up at start up, and when making a turn it will drop the wedge down to make it easier to turn. After starting a pull, when you reach 85%+ of speed it will bring the wedge back up to its set position. I am not sure what year they started doing this, but I was told on the '11 models this is how it works.

Also, wedge will not deploy in "nuetral" for safety reasons, as other mentioned must be moving at low speed.

"newer" = 2009+ i believe. I have a 2008 but i added Maliview and that added the "auto wedge" feature.

I beliece mine deploys in nuetral... I never have an issue deploying... it will deploy at any time.. but i till only move to the stowed position if moving forward (slowly.) It's tied to the speedo.. no the gear selector.