Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Condensation and Milky Oil

Never really a good combination, but has anyone ever seen a boat have milky oil (maybe even for sitting a few years), just from condensation? I just completely changed the oil and filter with Mobil 1 Synthetic. If there's any signs of the new oil getting milky, I'm going to have a problem with the dealer I purchased it from. It runs fine on the fake a lake, but I haven't put it in the lake yet. :rant:

oil.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mwood86

• martinarcher

• Pistol Pete

• 99response

Takes a lot more water than just "condensation" to turn that much oil that milky. You have an internal water leak making it's way into your crankcase.

Agree with NCB.

You've got a much bigger problem on your hands. I'd save that oil in a container and tow that boat right back to the dealer you bought it from.

Agree with NCB.

You've got a much bigger problem on your hands. I'd save that oil in a container and tow that boat right back to the dealer you bought it from.

Ehh the problem is I bought it from a dealer 800 miles away. Let me ask you this, how long would it take for the new oil to get milky again? I've ran it for about 15-20 minutes on the fake a lake the oil still looks new with no milky. Here's a video, you can see water coming out of the shaft, that's not normal is it?

http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/yourdealsource/?action=view&current=VLXoil.mp4

Sorry there's no sound, I must have had my hand over the microphone. :(

martinarcher

Didn't look like there was water coming out of the exhaust....there certainly needs no be. Is the boat getting hot? If the motor isn't getting good water flow there won't be anything to make the oil milky.

Agree with the other two....that oil has seen quite a bit of water and is a serious concern.

Make sure that fake-a-lake is sealed well on the bottom of the boat and after starting make sure you have good water flow out of the exhaust. If you don't get water out of the exhaust in a minute....shut her down.

Once you get water flowing out the exhaust run the engine for 10-15 minutes and check your oil. Vary the RPMs a bit too as more water/oil pressure could force fluid through a breach in a fluid passage.

Didn't look like there was water coming out of the exhaust....there certainly needs no be. Is the boat getting hot? If the motor isn't getting good water flow there won't be anything to make the oil milky.

Agree with the other two....that oil has seen quite a bit of water and is a serious concern.

Make sure that fake-a-lake is sealed well on the bottom of the boat and after starting make sure you have good water flow out of the exhaust. If you don't get water out of the exhaust in a minute....shut her down.

Once you get water flowing out the exhaust run the engine for 10-15 minutes and check your oil. Vary the RPMs a bit too as more water/oil pressure could force fluid through a breach in a fluid passage.

There is water coming out of the exhaust, I have crazy water pressure at my house. It was running at 160, then the thermostat would open and it would bounce between 140 and 160.

Did you look at the oil on the dipstick when you were checking the boat out at the dealership?

Stupid me, I never did because the boat was running great at the dealership on the hose. The dealership has good reviews from previous customers, and its not some fly by night dealership, so I'll have to see what they say tomorrow. I'm going to ask and see if they think I should test it out on the water to see if the new oil does get milky. Not a good situation to be in... :unsure:

Edited by mwoodward

Hey mw. Sorry for ur troubles, but just to add to the overall opinion here u needto get that dealer to fix or refund that boat. Btw if it's a reputable dealer I assume there was somekind of warranty? If so how did u plan on making good on it? 800 miles is one heck of a long way, but I understand sometimes u gotta travel to get what u want! Sorry for the long post but I'm gonna go ahead and say it- headgasket. And from the look of that oil it has been mixing for a long time.

Other possibility is overheating engine, faulty oil level sensor and tstat can conspire to do that but again, seems unlikely with that much water in the oil. Is there a creamy gunk inside oil cap?

I've been there before. The boat will run normal.

The first malibu i bought the same thing happened to me. The block had a crack in the intake valley. As soon as I found the milky oil I called the dealer and told him that I was bring the boat back Monday morning.

I got to dealer and said... "Either give my money back or put a new short block in it! Did I mention I called my lawyer.

Long story short, I got a new short block put in it, it ran great, and flipped the boat the next year and made $3K in my pocket.

Stupid me, I never did because the boat was running great at the dealership on the hose. The dealership has good reviews from previous customers, and its not some fly by night dealership, so I'll have to see what they say tomorrow. I'm going to ask and see if they think I should test it out on the water to see if the new oil does get milky. Not a good situation to be in... :unsure:

This is heartbreaking being you haven't even put it in the water yet. I have got to agree with everyone, there is huge issue what came out of your boat considering and that it needs to go back to dealer ASAP.

I feel for you on dealer heartburn, I am anticipating potential problems as I just bought a boat 2k miles away. Just my $.02 on the dealer part of this. Forgive me for maybe jumping to conclusions but either scenario makes me weary:

1. Dealer didn't inspect the boat themselves and sold you a boat unknowingly of a problem (a big one at that)

2. Dealer sold you a boat without disclosing a major issue that most definitely affects the value of the boat

Personally, I would drive the boat back, get my money back. Let them prove the boat is sound before you touch another thing. The longer you have it, the more you do, the more opportunity for things to go south with the dealer. Even if you bought the boat as-is, at least here in CA, I am pretty sure there is something said for disclosure and if there is anyway to show that it was a known material fact that water was getting into the oil, and indeed that was not disclosed prior to the sale, then you are owned some damages.

Not sure I would put a lot of faith in the dealer at this point...

Edited by norcal_rdr

Hey mw. Sorry for ur troubles, but just to add to the overall opinion here u needto get that dealer to fix or refund that boat. Btw if it's a reputable dealer I assume there was somekind of warranty? If so how did u plan on making good on it? 800 miles is one heck of a long way, but I understand sometimes u gotta travel to get what u want! Sorry for the long post but I'm gonna go ahead and say it- headgasket. And from the look of that oil it has been mixing for a long time.

Other possibility is overheating engine, faulty oil level sensor and tstat can conspire to do that but again, seems unlikely with that much water in the oil. Is there a creamy gunk inside oil cap?

That's the weird thing, inside BOTH oil caps, it was regular oil and was not milky. I ran to boat to 160 to get the engine warm and let it run a bit. It didn't overheat as it went to 160 then back down to 140 and so on. Some drops of water came out of the oil drain hose before the milky oil started coming out. Realistically I should have had a surveyor go out and look the boat over. Technically it's an as is sale, but I took pictures of everything and even the oil draining out proving that the milky oil was coming from THIS boat. I'm confident the dealer will take care of the issue when I email him tomorrow. I want to make sure I have email exchanges should I need to take legal action.

Wow sorry to hear that really sucks. Not sure it could be considered an as is sale, the dealer needs to show due diligence in checking the boat out. Unless you signed something saying as is I would say they are on the hook. They have, or should have, insurance to cover stuff like this.

Here is an email exchange we had prior to me signing the bill of sale:

Matt,

Good Afternoon! Yes to your question to everything is in working order on the boat.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subject: Re: 2006 Malibu Wakesetter VLX Information

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:00:36 -0400

Hi Todd,

I’ll get you the signed paperwork shortly. I did have a question though, I just wanted to verify that everything on the boat is in working condition. Thank you.

Matt

martinarcher

There is water coming out of the exhaust, I have crazy water pressure at my house. It was running at 160, then the thermostat would open and it would bounce between 140 and 160.

Good deal. Just making sure. If that's the case I'd let it idle for 15 min increments and keep checking the oil.

Ehh the problem is I bought it from a dealer 800 miles away. Let me ask you this, how long would it take for the new oil to get milky again? I've ran it for about 15-20 minutes on the fake a lake the oil still looks new with no milky. Here's a video, you can see water coming out of the shaft, that's not normal is it?

http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n496/yourdealsource/?action=view&current=VLXoil.mp4

Sorry there's no sound, I must have had my hand over the microphone. :(

All depends on the flow rate of the water. May only take a single trip to the lake. But it’s bound to get worse over time.

Terrible, sorry to hear about this. I've been standing next to a boat doing the same exact thing on a fake-a-lake. Tech. gave a few revs and the engine compartment exploded with milky oil. Cracked block. I wouldn't do that until it was back at the dealer though. Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted.

Edited by skurfer

MW,

I think we've convinced you that you def. have a big problem with your motor.

Besides that, two things I see and don't like in your vid. is the fact that it appears that there is no water coming out the exh. You should have a decent amount of water coming out of the exh. shortly after start up.

Second, that is one heck of a lot of water coming out of the prop shaft area. Is there a lot of water in the bilge?

MW,

I think we've convinced you that you def. have a big problem with your motor.

Besides that, two things I see and don't like in your vid. is the fact that it appears that there is no water coming out the exh. You should have a decent amount of water coming out of the exh. shortly after start up.

Second, that is one heck of a lot of water coming out of the prop shaft area. Is there a lot of water in the bilge?

Yeah that fake-a-lake isn't sealed tight up against the hull.

As for the prop shaft, one of the dripless seals they put in can put out a fair amount of water, but hard to tell.

I put it in the lake today and ran it for 45 minutes, even WOT and it ran fine. I checked the oil every 15 minutes and still looks brand new.

"...I'm going to ask and see if they think I should test it out on the water to see if the new oil does get milky...."

Think twice about taking this boat out onto the lake for a test run. As much water as you have in you oil, things will only get worse running the engine. Let the dealer take it on a test ride.

If you still have your oil, there's companies that test your oil for you and tell you what's in it. If your warranty doesn't last too long, you may want to do this prior to bringing it back to the dealer....just to have evidence.

I've used Blackstone Laboratories...but there's a hundred companies out there.

I'm almost positive it's from trailering it back with the drain plug in. It was raining for 8 of the 12 hours of the trip back. I ran it yesterday on the lake pretty good, and I just checked the oil again and it's fine and all settled to the bottom and in the operating range. What a relief, but I guess if anyone's trailering without a cover in the rain, remove your drain plug.

I'm almost positive it's from trailering it back with the drain plug in. It was raining for 8 of the 12 hours of the trip back. I ran it yesterday on the lake pretty good, and I just checked the oil again and it's fine and all settled to the bottom and in the operating range. What a relief, but I guess if anyone's trailering without a cover in the rain, remove your drain plug.

How could rain get into the oil from trailering? :dontknow: