Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damper Plate Failing in 08 VLX???

I have been searching the forum the past few hours for anything related to damper plate but I cant find anything that goes into detail of symptoms. It also seems like there hasn't been any wide spread issues since the 05's? It looks like the damper plate was changed out for 06? Can anyone clarify this?

Here is my issue:

I recently purchased an 08 VLX with the HH engine w/280 hours. I am lucky enough to have the service records and the in-service date gives me a few weeks until the warranty is up. I have put about 20 hours on the boat since owning it and from the very first start up I noticed a clinking noise as the boat goes from nuetral into gear. Once the boat is in gear there is no noise, no vibration. I would like to note, even though I hear the clunk in the transmission area, there is no vibration. The noise I hear is a clunk every 5 seconds or so, very rhythmic and clear "clunk" right before it finds gear. The boat also chugs at idol, we replaced the spark plugs which made a slight difference but it still feels like the idol is to low and it should run smoother. The other complaint is that the boat doesn't start right, it almost has to fight to turnover. It fires up every time, just not as easy as it should. Does this sound like a damper plate failing to you?

The old 00 'Bu with 1200+ hours seemed to run smoother on start-up and idol :crazy:

The throttle body was replaced at one point prior to us owning the boat, not sure if this could have anything to do with anything. Also, while asking a few dealers of their thought on the issue, one dealer said he was 100% it was the damper plate (without seeing the boat). He then went on to say that it can't or won't cause any issue down the road, some damper plates just make noise. He also said the engine would need to be pulled and basically we are just better off living with the noise because a damper plate wouldn't cause problems. Then I read here on the Crew that other people have had major issues caused by failed damper plates...

Feedback is much appreciated!

The chugging at idle is probably because its a 383 hammerhead, those things are mean and have a rougher idle than an old Monsoon.

Starting could be weak battery, bad connections, or even fuel pressure related.

The damper plate should be replaced if its making noise, if they go they can shoot pieces though the bell housing and even take out expensive stuff like the ECM. But you are correct, problems with newer damper plates are much lower than in previous years.

-Chris

Thanks 99response - It def didnt sounds right to not replace something that is broken. I agree with you on the hh having a rough idol, but it seemed coincidental that was a common symptom of damper plate issues. I am thinking its going to the dealership today while its still under warranty.

Having had a catastropic damper plate failure on a 2004 23 LSV HH, I get REAL concerned when I hear about damper plate symptoms. You say there is a clunk when shifting from neutral to a forward or reverse gear. So far, this is normal. Hearing a rhythmic clunk every five seconds before it finds gear is confusing. The moment you shift into gear you should hear a clunk and then nothing. If you are saying you hear a rhythmic clunk while in neutral, that would concern me. The slow starting concerns me as well. Here's why..........

My boat apparently had a bad damper plate AND the vibration from the bad damper plate had loosened the flywheel bolts. The loose flywheel locked up the starter. I had the starter replaced (thinking that was the problem) and within 3 or 4 starts the damper plate blew all to hell and back. It blew as I was pulling up a rider with full ballast and wedge. I assume the heavy load played a part. Your clunk while idling and your slow starting could indicate loose flywheel bolts. The locked up starter and a SLIGHTLY rough idle were the only indication that something might be wrong. The HH does NOT have a rough idle. If yours does, something is wrong.

The other complaint is that the boat doesn't start right, it almost has to fight to turnover. It fires up every time, just not as easy as it should.

Feedback is much appreciated!

I have this problem as well. It really seemed to rear it's ugly head after I added a battery switch, ARC and 6 foot extensions. My 2006 23lsv has only 2AWG gauge cables running back to the engine. I have talked to several dealers and members here and my wire size is too small. Because of this, my motor (HH) hesitates on starts and seems like it doesn't want to start. Another member had the exact same problem and he doubled his 2 AWG back to the motor and this fixed his problems. No hesitation or fights to start. My wire arrives on Monday and I hope to change out mine this week. I will update the Crew on my progress. Sorry I have no info on the damper plate.

Good Luck

Edited by Wake My Day

Skyskier - Thanks for your feedback, very interesting given my current situation. To be more specific about the noise, there is thud going from nuetral into gear (normal), but once it is in gear, lets call it the very first "click" past nuetral, the slowest speed available is the rhythmic clunk. The speed would be under 4 mph. Once I put a little more gas into it, lets say 5 mph the clunk goes away. We have pulled the backseat and tray and it is clearly from the transmission area. At no other speed is there any vibration or noise - besides having the rougher idol the boat runs great, that HH just sounds so pretty :thumbup:

I did drop the boat off at Larson Marine today since warranty will be up very shortly. They plan to river test it so I guess its the waiting game now. At this point I am pretty much convenience it is the damper plate, unless they can prove to me otherwise, that thing better be replaced when it gets back.

Wake my day - Thats good info! We just replaced the old stock battery with the blue top (single battery set-up). A second battery is on the list and I will have the shop inspect the wiring to see if that could be causing problem.

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Edited by norcal_rdr

For What it is worth, I had to replace the Damper Plate in my 06 RLXI last year, I had the same tell tale signs, once the boat was in gear, there was a rythmic sound (clunk, thud, bump or whatever term you want to use)

Took it to my dealer and yes the springs were VERY, VERY loose, I am no mechanic (Electrician) but even if I had not been shown that the springs were way too loose, I would have figured something was wrong

Anyway,in my case neither Indmar or Malibu would help with replacement cost, even though it was confirmed through Indmar that I had one of the "problem damper plates"........bottom line

*new damper plate from Skidim $150

* labor charge for dealer including a FULL tranny service, new dist. cap and rotor and plugs $600

Hope this helps, good luck

Skyskier - Thanks for your feedback, very interesting given my current situation. To be more specific about the noise, there is thud going from nuetral into gear (normal), but once it is in gear, lets call it the very first "click" past nuetral, the slowest speed available is the rhythmic clunk. The speed would be under 4 mph. Once I put a little more gas into it, lets say 5 mph the clunk goes away. We have pulled the backseat and tray and it is clearly from the transmission area. At no other speed is there any vibration or noise - besides having the rougher idol the boat runs great, that HH just sounds so pretty :thumbup:

I did drop the boat off at Larson Marine today since warranty will be up very shortly. They plan to river test it so I guess its the waiting game now. At this point I am pretty much convenience it is the damper plate, unless they can prove to me otherwise, that thing better be replaced when it gets back.

Wake my day - Thats good info! We just replaced the old stock battery with the blue top (single battery set-up). A second battery is on the list and I will have the shop inspect the wiring to see if that could be causing problem.

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

I had the exact same issue- clunk , rattle at idle goes away as soon as a small amount of throttle is applied. 2008 WSLSV hammerhead (180 hrs). Indmar and malibu said it was looseness in the vdrive and initially would not replace- got progressively worse. In the end the v-drive was replaced. The transmission was also replaced as it was shipped with the v-drive (for whatever reason) but not the root of the issue.

You said you bought it used... have you paid to transfer the warranty... didn't read it either way in the OP... the V-drive/tranny is a $4000 gift.

I had the exact same issue- clunk , rattle at idle goes away as soon as a small amount of throttle is applied. 2008 WSLSV hammerhead (180 hrs). Indmar and malibu said it was looseness in the vdrive and initially would not replace- got progressively worse. In the end the v-drive was replaced. The transmission was also replaced as it was shipped with the v-drive (for whatever reason) but not the root of the issue.

You said you bought it used... have you paid to transfer the warranty... didn't read it either way in the OP... the V-drive/tranny is a $4000 gift.

Yikes! When you say progressively worse, what was going on?

I bought it used from a MN malibu dealer and had it shipped to CA - they also did a pre-purchase inspection prior to purchase. I call the dealer the first week it gets here and tell them about what I am hearing - they assure me its under warranty and I don't need to pay a warranty transfer, just take it to my local guys at Larson...

Short answer is no, I have not paid to transfer the warranty going off the word of the warranty/service dept from where I purchased. Hopefully this does not become an issue...

For What it is worth, I had to replace the Damper Plate in my 06 RLXI last year, I had the same tell tale signs, once the boat was in gear, there was a rythmic sound (clunk, thud, bump or whatever term you want to use)

Took it to my dealer and yes the springs were VERY, VERY loose, I am no mechanic (Electrician) but even if I had not been shown that the springs were way too loose, I would have figured something was wrong

Anyway,in my case neither Indmar or Malibu would help with replacement cost, even though it was confirmed through Indmar that I had one of the "problem damper plates"........bottom line

*new damper plate from Skidim $150

* labor charge for dealer including a FULL tranny service, new dist. cap and rotor and plugs $600

Hope this helps, good luck

Good to know, I was curious of the labor costs associated with a replacement in the event for whatever reason warranty doesn't want cover it. Does anyone know when they changed the damper plate? I thought I had read between 06/07?

Good to know, I was curious of the labor costs associated with a replacement in the event for whatever reason warranty doesn't want cover it. Does anyone know when they changed the damper plate? I thought I had read between 06/07?

According to Indmar when I was dealing with this issue last year, they changed to the "new" type damper plate mid to late 06

Yikes! When you say progressively worse, what was going on?

I bought it used from a MN malibu dealer and had it shipped to CA - they also did a pre-purchase inspection prior to purchase. I call the dealer the first week it gets here and tell them about what I am hearing - they assure me its under warranty and I don't need to pay a warranty transfer, just take it to my local guys at Larson...

Short answer is no, I have not paid to transfer the warranty going off the word of the warranty/service dept from where I purchased. Hopefully this does not become an issue...

The rattle got louder and more constant at idle in gear. It continued to go away off idle. Very distinct even with the rear tray and cushion in place.

I would validate the warranty transfer status as an Indmar inspection is required and a warranty fee paid to Malibu. If the MN dealer did the inspection and covered the costs.... you are a very fortunate person... it typically cost $400 - $800 (cost me $800).

The rattle got louder and more constant at idle in gear. It continued to go away off idle. Very distinct even with the rear tray and cushion in place.

I would validate the warranty transfer status as an Indmar inspection is required and a warranty fee paid to Malibu. If the MN dealer did the inspection and covered the costs.... you are a very fortunate person... it typically cost $400 - $800 (cost me $800).

You can clearly hear the rattle when its in gear, even with the rear tray and cushion in place. The dealer is putting it in the water on Wednesday and I should know the warranty info by then too. Its just the waiting game now... Thanks for your feedback!