Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decal Removal

EchelonMike

All,

Has anyone removed the decals on the hull on an older boat? I have a 2002 and was thinking of going with a clean look. The boat gel is excellent - stored inside and does not have any oxidation, etc. However if i pull decals I am sure you will be able to see the outline. Will a wax clean it up? Don't want to remove and have to replace if i cannot get the outline to go away. Thoughts?

-- Mike

I think you will see an outline. I removed a small factory safety/warning decal from my transom when the boat was only 2 years old, the gel was quite darker. My boat has always been stored outdoors but after 9 years, no matter how well you took care of it, I think you'll see an outline. Good luck lining up a new decal perfectly, that sounds nearly impossible. Be prepared to do some wetsanding, polishing, and waxing. And document your process, I'll be doing the same thing this offseason :biggrin:

I pulled the "tribal" graphic off the side of my '06 Vride a few months ago. I was pretty apprehensive but really like the way it turned out and it didn't have any noticeable color difference in any type of light, thank goodness. It did only have 32 hours of use too so that is a big factor. The original owner stored it in one of those stackable boat storage condo things outdoors but only the transom has visible fading. I park it in the driveway. Only way to know is to try it. Not sure if a good wax and buff will take away the fading, might have to resort to wet sanding if it's bad...

Edited by BorderBoarder

I took the decals off of my Echelon. You could see the outline.. Mine was on a white hull and in fantastic shape. Waxed often stored indoors... I think I was the only one who could notice it and I replaced them with Drip Mold decals.

Before an after........ this is a 205 I changed up & improved to ride behind back before boats were sold to make big wakes & get big air.

MColdnew.jpg

I stripped the decals when it was like 5 or 6 yrs old. The shadows from the old decals were there, hardly noticable when everything was all polished up, but started to show after a couple months on the lake in the sun.

Oh well, it was just another indicator that it was time to pull the boat & clean'er up a bit.

I removed the original decal from my 99 Sunsetter and you five years later you can still see the outline if the sun is at the right angle. The good thing is that most people don’t notice it. I put on a new decal when I removed the old one so much of it is hidden. In retrospect I wish I did a better job of cleaning before putting the new decal on.

Took the tribal graphic off mine in the off season, (2004 yellow hull sotred outside). There was a little bit of outline on port side but that came out with an afternoon of buffing with rubbing compound, got some scratches out too :yahoo: . Coming off a darker hull be ready to buff and possible wet sand to bring back the shine. Good part is the gell is rather thick and fully colored all the way through so you can get the marks off.

I changed my MO. ID numbers on my 98 sunsetter a coup[le of years ago, and was never able to get the shadow like image off of the boat. But you have to be in the right light and I am probally the only that notices. The upper part of my hull around the rub rail is black and that makes a differance. If you decide to remove your logo make sure you give us an update

CB

I think you will see an outline. I removed a small factory safety/warning decal from my transom when the boat was only 2 years old, the gel was quite darker. My boat has always been stored outdoors but after 9 years, no matter how well you took care of it, I think you'll see an outline. Good luck lining up a new decal perfectly, that sounds nearly impossible. Be prepared to do some wetsanding, polishing, and waxing. And document your process, I'll be doing the same thing this offseason :biggrin:

I did this on our old 99 wakesetter, and then replaced with newer 03-04 decals. I wish I never did it because you could always see the outline of where the old decals were. The color of the boat was blue FWIW.

I debadged my '94, and had a lot of wetsanding to do. But it was an easy decision, the decals were all scraped up on the sides and the transom was badly oxidized. If they were in good shape, and the gel was shiny, I would not touch it.

Took mine off my 97 sunsetter and I had alot of wetsanding to even get the outline barely out .. I replaced the decal with another one .. I will post a pic tonight so you can see

Thinking of removing the graphics on my 09 Vride. How are you guys removing them? Heat gun? Some kind of compound? How tedious do you think it will be? I'm not as worried about he fading as the boat is only 2 seasons old, just looking for tips on the actual removal of the decals. Whatcha think?

martinarcher

I'm sure you'll be able to see the outline, but it's easy to fix with a bit of wetsanding (600,800,1000,1500,2000 grit - if you gels in good shape I bet you could start with 1000) followed by a bit of rubbing compound. Here's pics rugger took when he changed the decal and wetsanding/polishing the Setter. That was 22 year old gel. Biggrin.gif

DSC09678.JPG

DSC09682.JPG

Thinking of removing the graphics on my 09 Vride. How are you guys removing them? Heat gun? Some kind of compound? How tedious do you think it will be? I'm not as worried about he fading as the boat is only 2 seasons old, just looking for tips on the actual removal of the decals. Whatcha think?

On the sunny side it just pealed right off. On the shade side I used a hair dryer. (heat gun is too hot). It will come off in large and small pieces dependent on how hard you work at keeping it in a large piece. Use a fingernail to start then keep peeling, if it is breaking a lot use the hair dryer to warm it up some.

After removal you will have to clean the area with a solvent capable of removing the residue, then buff and wax to restore the shine. At just two years old yours will be easy.

On the sunny side it just pealed right off. On the shade side I used a hair dryer. (heat gun is too hot). It will come off in large and small pieces dependent on how hard you work at keeping it in a large piece. Use a fingernail to start then keep peeling, if it is breaking a lot use the hair dryer to warm it up some.

After removal you will have to clean the area with a solvent capable of removing the residue, then buff and wax to restore the shine. At just two years old yours will be easy.

Thanks REW!!

FWIW, I removed the RIDE decal from the back of the boat and there was significant fading. Not so much that I'm worried about the decal that I removed, but I am definitely not going to remove the decals on the side. Keep in mind my boat is only 2 years old. It does have 250 hours on it and was moored all last summer.

Anyway, just some info for those thinking of removing their decals.......

FWIW, I removed the RIDE decal from the back of the boat and there was significant fading. Not so much that I'm worried about the decal that I removed, but I am definitely not going to remove the decals on the side. Keep in mind my boat is only 2 years old. It does have 250 hours on it and was moored all last summer.

Anyway, just some info for those thinking of removing their decals.......

Good feedback, thanks! I may try it at some point but a few other projects are ahead of this one!