Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Suggestions on boat models???

Boating

Hello everyone,

First post, been reading posts for a while, and ready to buy my first Malibu as soon as I find one in my price range and compatible for our use. I was hoping you would chime in with some suggestions, pros/cons to help me on my search.

We're looking for a 19-21 foot so that it will fit in the garage, with an open bow (or playpen, or any version of this) for additional space, even if it is just storage 6-8 people for weekend days, 3-4 people for skiing/boarding in the mornings. I would like to use the boat for wakeboarding and skiing about the same amount, along with learning to surf. I have been looking into the 99ish Responses, which seem to fit the bill for this. Though I understand they are ski boats primarily, with a wedge they seem to be fine for our wakeboarding needs, and would seem that I could actually get into some surfing with a little extra ballast? Am I correct?

I don't want to spend much more than $13000...Located in Oklahoma

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track? Looked at several Nautiques, Moomba, Mastercraft, I seem to keep coming back to Malibu.

Any help is appreciated!

martinarcher

Also have a look at Sunsetter's. The Sunsetter LXI is one of the most versatile, do it all boats IMO. You can wakeboard, surf, kneeboard, and even run a kick butt slalom run behind it.

We squeeze 8 in my Sunsetter on the weekends. It's a bit tight, but not too bad. 6 is perfect IMO as the extra weight adds to the wake once the wedge is down for some fun surfing and boarding. Rockon.gif

Good luck in your search.

Other good info to add would be your garage size (depth as well as door width and height), and where your located. The people here on the crew are pretty darn good at finding boats for sale in your area. Biggrin.gif We're more than happy to help spend your money the right way.....buying a Bu! Yahoo.gif

Edited by martinarcher

I would def. upgrade one model from a response (to a sunsetter) for your needs.

Edited by Pistol Pete

I was in your position for a while and ended up with a sunsetter lx. We love the boat and unless you're really good at skiing, or wakeboarding, it will suite your needs pretty well. You can find sunsetters in your price range that are in great shape if you look hard enough. As Martinarcher suggested, the sunsetter lxi is an awesome boat but we didn't find one in good shape in our price range so we ended up with the lx. Very happy with it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies,

I thought I said I was in Oklahoma, but if not...I'm in Oklahoma! I found one Sunsetter in the area, it is an LX...how is that different than the LXI? I am going to look at this one this weekend hopefully. I am willing to travel 6-8 hours for the right boat.

Garage is pretty standard sized...a little over 22 feet deep, 8 feet tall...width won't be a problem as we have a 3 bay garage, and I will park the truck in the 3rd spot.

On a side note, I have a 1999 2 door Tahoe-shorter wheelbase-and have only pulled short distances with several trailers and smaller loads...anyone have/had one of these and know how well it will STOP with a #3000-4000 load? No concerns over power for pulling it.

Thanks!

Edited by Boating

Playpen style will get real small real quick, especially with 8 peeps.

I agree with the other guys that you should look for in this order:

Walk through:

Sunsetter LXi

Sunsetter LX

Response LXi

Echelon LX

Playpen:

Response LX

Sportster LX

There are some in your area in your price range right now.

To search all of craigslist:

http://boat.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/boat.cgi

To answer the question about LX vs. LXi, the main difference is the trunk at the back. The LXi has a top lid trunk while the LX has the access by lifting the rear seat back. Our resource guide has brochures and specs if there is a question. Check out pages 25-26 here:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/images/files/2000_brochure.pdf

Edited by jk13

My Sunsetter is over 25' on trailer. will fit in gerage with deck removed with 1" to spare. its in the driveway right now covered and ready to go to Keystone tomarrow. my budget was 15K but I spent 16 on this boat and love it.

Welcome Boater. Your story was my story, then about a year ago found my Sunsetter. Look in every nook and cranny and the right deal will turn up. I'll keep my eyes open. Best of luck,

Steve B.

I am partial to the Sunsetter but that’s because I own one. I’ve had it for 5 years now and it’s been a great family boat. If you looking at older Sunsetter’s (and other Malibu’s) be sure to read up on the HDS system. It is notorious for having problems but can also be fixed pretty cheap if you do it yourself. I say this in case someone tries to sell you a boat with an HDS issue you’ll know up front what to look for. As for fitting in you’re garage you need to pay attention to the trailer length instead of the boat length.

martinarcher

I am partial to the Sunsetter but that's because I own one. I've had it for 5 years now and it's been a great family boat. If you looking at older Sunsetter's (and other Malibu's) be sure to read up on the HDS system. It is notorious for having problems but can also be fixed pretty cheap if you do it yourself. I say this in case someone tries to sell you a boat with an HDS issue you'll know up front what to look for. As for fitting in you're garage you need to pay attention to the trailer length instead of the boat length.

Right on. I also have to pull my platform to get the door down on our garage with about an inch to spare. 22ft deep as well (24 feet with a 2 foot workbench).

You did see OK, but I didn't read it. LOL.gif My bad!

Not sure how close your are to CO, but here's a beautiful Sunsetter that's close to 13k.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=28386

Here' a Response in IL with a Titan tower and PP Stargazer. Rockon.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-Malibu-Response-LX-Ski-Wakeboard-Boat-Tower-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem41592590a6QQitemZ280668508326QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats

Here's an Echelon in WV that looks to be close to perfect shape! Dang is it clean looking!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-Malibu-Echelon-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f09a013ecQQitemZ270744425452QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats

Thanks for all the replies...I appreciate it.

Yes, I would definitely measure the trailer first to make sure it would fit. I'll have to do some looking on the jaxed.com site...never seen that one, only the allofcraigs, which seems to pull up a lot of crap!

I know this is searchable, but if anyone has a couple of quick replies I would appreciate it...What motor options were available in the Sunsetter in say, 1997-2001?

@Windy1, is Keystone your lake of choice?

Thanks so far, and keep the ideas coming if you have any! I would really like to have something settled on by Memorial day if possible.

Mastercraft Prostar 209 is the boat for you........

Oh, I forgot this is the Malibu website.

Frankly, I think the Model Year 1999 ? through about 2003 ? Sunsetter LX or LXI is the best all around boat on the water.

I much prefer the paint schemes in those years to the latest model boats.

A Sunsetter LXI is about 8" longer , 5" wider (than an LX) , Diamond Hull and has a trunk behind the rear seat. Very Handy.

Dagnab impossible to find because the guys that own them are smart enough to know they already have the best all-around tow boat and why trade ?

Seriously, your search should be for those years of Sunsetter and include the Prostar 209 also. Those 209's came out around 2001 ? or so and are way less common than the Direct Drive Sunsetter.

Look for a swing away tongue trailer. If you have to hand manuever the trailer to fit into your garage on a diagonal look for a single axle trailer. Mastercraft offered a single axle trailer with 16 inch wheels and in a load range E you get a load rating of 3042 pounds per tire for a 245 / 75 R 16 E inflated to 80 PSI. I have seen many MC's on single axle with 16's but virtually no Malibus with that wheel.

The most common engine in the Sunsetters and the 209s were the 310 HP Chevy 350. 41 mph top speed is typical. Both are great for room and adequate hole shot.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by DONTW8

Frankly, I think the Model Year 1999 ? through about 2003 ? Sunsetter LX or LXI is the best all around boat on the water.

A Sunsetter LXI is about 8" longer , 5" wider (than an LX) , Diamond Hull and has a trunk behind the rear seat. Very Handy.

Dagnab impossible to find because the guys that own them are smart enough to know they already have the best all-around tow boat and why trade ?

Seriously, your search should be for those years of Sunsetter and include the Prostar 209 also. Those 209's came out around 2001 ? or so and are way less common than the Direct Drive Sunsetter.

Look for a swing away tongue trailer. If you have to hand manuever the trailer to fit into your garage on a diagonal look for a single axle trailer. Mastercraft offered a single axle trailer with 16 inch wheels and in a load range E you get a load rating of 3042 pounds per tire for a 245 / 75 R 16 E inflated to 80 PSI. I have seen many MC's on single axle with 16's but virtually no Malibus with that wheel.

The most common engine in the Sunsetters and the 209s were the 310 HP Chevy 350. 41 mph top speed is typical. Both are great for room and adequate hole shot.

Dontw8 is right. Most sunsetter lxi that I found either were out of my price range, or sold damn near immediately. As for the MC 209, while it's a great boat, I was finding that the prices were as high or higher than the SSLXI. While you do give up a few things with the sunsetter lx vs. the lxi, it's still a great boat.

Good luck.

With a slant towards skiing, go lxi; wakeboarding, go LX.

As for top speed of a 209, if it goes 41 I'd be surprised whereas both the lx and lxi with monsoons will be faster, if that matters. The most common engines in the sunsetters willbe monsoons at 320 or 325 hp depending on year.

IMO, the reason the 209 is less common is it's an underperformer compared to the sunsetters.

Thanks for all the replies...I appreciate it.

Yes, I would definitely measure the trailer first to make sure it would fit. I'll have to do some looking on the jaxed.com site...never seen that one, only the allofcraigs, which seems to pull up a lot of crap!

I know this is searchable, but if anyone has a couple of quick replies I would appreciate it...What motor options were available in the Sunsetter in say, 1997-2001?

@Windy1, is Keystone your lake of choice?

Thanks so far, and keep the ideas coming if you have any! I would really like to have something settled on by Memorial day if possible.

Keystone is my lake of choice. I have been to them all and Keystone is the closest and I can always find smooth water. Not near as nice as Skiatook but way less crowded.

This boat was for sale last year. I will see if I can find his number if your interested. I think it was under 5Kpost-12198-051421900 1304690401_thumb.jp

Here's a 98 SS on ebay, in Texas. High hours, but will probabaly sell for good price.

98 Ebay Sunsetter

Steve B.

It's on CL for 9k, which is a great price. BUT needs a new PP brain box, has an oil leak, and is a saltwater boat with about 900 hours listed.

Use some of that extra 4k on repairs and have a great boat.

Sounds like a '99-'04 Sunsetter LXi will suit your needs. A Tahoe will tow (and stop it) just fine. No problems there. Your budget of 13K might be a little low for that particular boat, though. I would not let mine go for less than $20K, but it is in mint condition and perfectly maintained with low hours. You might be able to find one in a little more 'used' condition with a motivated buyer for $13K or just a little more.

And with the fuel injected Monsoon, mine will run 46MPH top speed with just me in the boat, GPS verified.

Edited by RTS

Thanks for all the great info...i will take a,look at these this afternoon when I get home. I may be going to look at an LX close by this weekend.

Any thing in particular to look for specific to these boats when I'm out? Thanks for the heads up on the HDS! Mechanically I can check it myself, but if there are any quirks with these boats I would appreciate insight. Thanks all, big help so far

Go for a long test drive. Check the bilge for water (HDS issue, possibly) Not all years had them. Other than that, smaller items just like a car. Good stereo? Undamaged prop. Has he ever hit any of the drive gear on anything?

Maybe look very very close at the steering rudder and shaft strut where they both meet the hull for gel coat cracks.

Cover doesn't leak? Best of luck again,

Steve B.

Go for a long test drive. Check the bilge for water (HDS issue, possibly) Not all years had them. Other than that, smaller items just like a car. Good stereo? Undamaged prop. Has he ever hit any of the drive gear on anything?

Maybe look very very close at the steering rudder and shaft strut where they both meet the hull for gel coat cracks.

Cover doesn't leak? Best of luck again,

Steve B.

Also check the hull for cracks where the tracking fins attach. This could be a sign of impact at some point.

Good luck.

85 Barefooter said :

"With a slant towards skiing, go lxi; wakeboarding, go LX.

As for top speed of a 209, if it goes 41 I'd be surprised whereas both the lx and lxi with monsoons will be faster, if that matters. The most common engines in the sunsetters willbe monsoons at 320 or 325 hp depending on year.

IMO, the reason the 209 is less common is it's an underperformer compared to the sunsetters. "

Barefooter are you out of your mind ? :lol:

Everybody knows an MC 209 is a better boat. :crazy:

Dang, I forgot which site I was on again. :crazy:

I agree with 85, completely.

I only offer up the MC 209 because that gives you one more choice in finding the right boat. The MC 209 came out much later than the good Sunsetters so you do end up paying for a newer boat. Neither the Sunsetters or the MC 209 will be as sporty as an Response LX. They will be 4 mph slower top end than the smaller boat and not quite as quick assuming the same engine.. Both brands bought their engines from Indmar but called them by different names. A 340 Monsoon SLX is faster than 310 Indmar RTP-1 MC 209. But if you enjoy having your friends with you the station wagon Sunsetters and MC 209's make it real easy.

BTW an X-7 MC is an MC 209 with tower and wakeboard package.

Well every boat I go to look at is GONE! Ok, back to searching............

I looked at the brochures and it looks like they did have EFI in 97, I could be wrong though