Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adjustable Pylon

Hammertime

As a new owner of our first Malibu, I have a question about the pylon.

It is my understanding that Malibu went to an adjustable pylon on some models in 2004.

What I'm referring to is the vertical movement. Put it down when not in use and pull it up when needed.

Has anyone changed theirs out and what’s involved if I wanted to do this?

I have looked at ours and taking it out doesn't seems to be any big chore, or am I missing something?

As always, thanks in advance for your input. :thumbup:

Mike

Im sorry, I don't quite know what you are asking. My 23 lsv of course has the retractable pylon. Are you asking how to remove the existing one. If so, I have had mine out a few times. Just remove the large bolt in the down tube. Once the large locking bolt is out, simply slide the pylon out, however you will be dealing with a hole in your sun bed area.

Are you kidding me? Did I stump the Crew or is this one just too easy? :whistle:

People have mentioned wanting to change their pylon but, I've never seen anyone get on here that actually did it.

That being said, if you're an aluminum welder, you could do it I suppose.

As pete said... Aluminum welder and fabricating aluminum.

The mounting area would need to be bored out to install the adjustable outer tube and then welded or bolted securely.

I've looked at doing it but I have a few projects ahead of it. :whistle:

As our boat is an '03, the pylon isn't retractable, so yea, I'd like to put a retractable pylon in vs. the one we have now.

Thanks guys.

See if you can take a look at the workings of one that is retractable. There's really not much to it besides the sleeve that it slides up and down in. It would be easy to fabricate. It does have a bolt that slides up and down in a slot in the sleeve that locks it in the up position. Just a little machine work and aluminum welding involved. You'll have to have a pylon too. Be aware that Malibu had a lot of trouble with the sleeve lining seizing up on the pylon and sometimes it would take heavy equipment to free it.

Be aware that Malibu had a lot of trouble with the sleeve lining seizing up on the pylon and sometimes it would take heavy equipment to free it.

Thanks for the heads-up... Heavy equipment? I think I'd just take it out and replace it. :cry:

That would work IF you could get it out. I've heard stories of lifting the boat off the trailer by the pylon trying to get the pylon to come out of the plastic liner inside the aluminum sleeve.

That would work IF you could get it out. I've heard stories of lifting the boat off the trailer by the pylon trying to get the pylon to come out of the plastic liner inside the aluminum sleeve.

Ronnie,

You have the retractable one on your boat, don't you?

Wouldn’t it be as simple as taking mine out and replacing it with a retractable one?

Thx,

Mike

Yep, as simple as that. :whistle: You have to picture that the pylon mount is different. Then new style mounts are made for the new style pylons. You can't just remove your old pylon and slip in a retractable one. The new style mount AND the new style pylon are different to allow the pylon to move up and down plus lock the pylon in the up position. The new style mount has a plastic liner to allow the pylon to move up & down without binding or scratching up the pylon. It's not going to be that hard to do once you have a mount either bought or made. It IS going to take some machining, fabrication and aluminum welding skills. You are most likely going to have to pull the frame work around the pylon out of the boat to cut out the old mount and weld in the new one. If I get a chance today, I'll walk over to a neighbors dock and look at the old style mount on his boat.

Yep, as simple as that. :whistle: You have to picture that the pylon mount is different. Then new style mounts are made for the new style pylons. You can't just remove your old pylon and slip in a retractable one. The new style mount AND the new style pylon are different to allow the pylon to move up and down plus lock the pylon in the up position. The new style mount has a plastic liner to allow the pylon to move up & down without binding or scratching up the pylon. It's not going to be that hard to do once you have a mount either bought or made. It IS going to take some machining, fabrication and aluminum welding skills. You are most likely going to have to pull the frame work around the pylon out of the boat to cut out the old mount and weld in the new one. If I get a chance today, I'll walk over to a neighbors dock and look at the old style mount on his boat.

I haven't looked close enough yet but there may be a way to make a flange plate to bolt on the bottom of the retro adjustable pylon to avoid welding on the boat. (Still need to bore a large hole for the pylon outer tube)

Something I will be looking into in the near future :whistle: