Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'01 SSLxi trunk ballast install

msuwaterski

I just finished my winter ballast install project and thought I would share with the crew. If anyone is interested in doing this I will say the first you need to reinforce the trunk over the gass tank. Here is the link to how I reinforced my trunk.

So for the ballast part of the project I first ungraded to a dedicated ballast through hull. I had been running my center locker MLS from a fitting that went were the drain plug goes. You will see the one through hull now supplies both ballast sacks.

DSC01593.jpg

I used a Jabsco pump for this proect but I do not trust the run dry protection so I installed a check valve to redirect the empty flow to a through hull on the side of the boat. I put that check valve in the bilge to make draining the system easy in the winter.

DSC01590.jpg

From the hull I wrapped the tubbing behind the seat back and through to the under side of the rear Starboard seat. Extra caution when drill this hole because the gas tank is directly behind the wall. There is about 2" to work with so I went very slow.

DSC01591.jpg

You can see where I tee'd off the line for the drain to go to a through hull on the side of the boat. I added a check valve to the drain line so the pump would not draw air in while filling the sack.

DSC01592.jpg

I ran the drain line up the gunnel, using multiple zip ties, to a through hull next to my bilge through hull and center MLS drain through hull. I like to be able to sit in the drivers seat and see/hear when the water is done draining.

DSC01596.jpg

I also ran the wiring up the gunnel. I had an accessory switch that was wired for 20amp tower lights, so I simply swaped it out for the new ballast switch.

DSC01602.jpg

Finally, what all this work was for. A 650lb rear seat sack in the trunk. I will probably only be able to get 500lb out of is, but it will still be a lot better than nothing!

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01599.jpg

Oh, and since I had my trunk completely dissassembled, I figured no better time to upgrade to a FLOATER!!! :thumbup:

DSC01604.jpg

martinarcher

Oh man....that turned out great! You are going to love it!! Rockon.gif

Great work. Everything looks like it was done well and done very cleanly. Good work!

Do you have any bow or walkway ballast? I know with the wedge down and about 700lbs in the ski locker/walkway our wake is like hitting a wooden ramp. Rockon.gif

Edited by martinarcher

Def looks very nice ... .. I wish I had a rear trunk on my 97 .. But I know what you mean about hitting a wooden ramp ... With the wedge down and no weight up front it's like hitting a brick wall... That's why I installed a locker bag and 2 bags upfron under the seats ...

Oh man....that turned out great! You are going to love it!! Rockon.gif

Great work. Everything looks like it was done well and done very cleanly. Good work!

Do you have any bow or walkway ballast? I know with the wedge down and about 700lbs in the ski locker/walkway our wake is like hitting a wooden ramp. Rockon.gif

Thanks Martin. Yes, I do have a 400lb center MLS.

Looks good! Sorry about the stitches! I've got to finish my ballast project one of these days. Would like to ski once first.

That looks great :thumbup: I'm jealous of the floater upgrade. I would keep an eye on the materials used that are below the water line, especially since you didn't install a brass ball valve immediatley after the thru-hull.

That looks great :thumbup: I'm jealous of the floater upgrade. I would keep an eye on the materials used that are below the water line, especially since you didn't install a brass ball valve immediatley after the thru-hull.

I have a PVC ball valve immediately after the thru-hull, does it make a difference that it is not brass?

I have a PVC ball valve immediately after the thru-hull, does it make a difference that it is not brass?

I'm not trying to be "Mr. Safety" here but from your first picture it doesn't appear that even your PVC ball valve is positioned so that it will stop water from entering. Brass or bronze, not sure which they are but I would certainly suggest them, also everything below the water line should be double hose clamped. Can you explain what's going on in the first picture?

Edited by Ndawg12

what u want is a brass ball valve connected directly to the Brass though hull. Plastic can snap or crack.

it should be before the pump.

If I leave my boat in the water over night I (usually) close off all 4 of my ball valves....just to be safe

I'm not trying to be "Mr. Safety" here but from your first picture it doesn't appear that even your PVC ball valve is positioned so that it will stop water from entering. Brass or bronze, not sure which they are but I would certainly suggest them, also everything below the water line should be double hose clamped. Can you explain what's going on in the first picture?

Ball valve and hose to the left go to new ballast system and hose that goes to the right is the MLS that has a ball valve before the pump that you can not see. All are below the water line. Only thing that I think I would need to worry about failing is the hose to the right before the ball valve, and I am not worried about that.

what u want is a brass ball valve connected directly to the Brass though hull. Plastic can snap or crack.

it should be before the pump.

If I leave my boat in the water over night I (usually) close off all 4 of my ball valves....just to be safe

I never leave my boat in the water overnight. She is a lift queen. But if I did for some reason, I would close off both ball valves.

Ball valve and hose to the left go to new ballast system and hose that goes to the right is the MLS that has a ball valve before the pump that you can not see. All are below the water line. Only thing that I think I would need to worry about failing is the hose to the right before the ball valve, and I am not worried about that.

I never leave my boat in the water overnight. She is a lift queen. But if I did for some reason, I would close off both ball valves.

Alrighty, don't say some day that we didn't warn you :biggrin: So when do we get pics of the new wake :thumbup:

Alrighty, don't say some day that we didn't warn you :biggrin: So when do we get pics of the new wake :thumbup:

I now see the error in my ways. After looking at many other ballast installs I see that I should have attached the ball valve to the through hull and then attached the Tee to the ball valve. I did it backwards, leaving a small area for failure. It will stay as it is this summer and get fixed next winter.

Wake pics will come in a few weeks when it is warm enough to surf.

• 1 year later...

Which fly high sac are you using? It looks like the "rear seat sac". I have a 2002 Wakesetter Lxi which is basically the same boat. I plan on doing basically the same things you have done to get ballast in the rear locker. I just want to make sure I get the right sac. Thanks