Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme Trailer Is This Normal?

We took our new to us 2005 V-Ride out for a shakedown cruise last Sunday, and noticed that when we're turning the trailer, the rear wheel will tilt out about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I jacked the back axle up today and gave the wheel a shake test, the bearings seem solid. I didn't see any broken welds, loose bolts, or anything else unusual. The axle looks to be a straight beam with a bolt on spindle and drum breaks. My question is: Is this a feature and I just got a little practice jacking up the trailer, or is this an "Oh St".

It is normal. With that set up if you turn tight it looks like the axles are loose or bent. I did the same thing as you..........I mean, I know of someone who thought the same thing once!!! :whistle:

My enclosed trailer would do this, surprised me the first time I put the trailer in a jack knife backing it up to the new house. Didn't hurt a thing.

It is normal, but if at all possible avoid making those tight turns on pavement. It is hard on your wheel bearings.

Ha Ha, This reminds me of the first time I saw that on my trailer, I was afraid to drive it back home. It happens almost every time I turn it on off camber pavement. No worries, it's all good

Remember the same feeling I had the first time I saw it. I freaked out. Of course I was missing a lug at the time on one of the tires too so i was really sweating it. Thought I bent the rim.

I mean... I know thats what happened to malibuzer :)

This is not unique to inboards - any loaded tandem axle (or more than 1 axle) will do this - in tight turns the tires will scrub and load the wheels/bearings.

I noticed the same thing when I picked up my new to me bu last month. I had never seen that issue with other trailers I have towed, but this is the first single axle trailer I have had outside of snowmobile trailers.

I noticed the same thing when I picked up my new to me bu last month. I had never seen that issue with other trailers I have towed, but this is the first single axle trailer I have had outside of snowmobile trailers.

Do you mean tandem axle????? It shouldn't be much of an issue with a single axle.