Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Install IN-Hull Transducer

cstk421

So I purchased the NORCROSS MARINE

D10D Hawkeye Digital Depth Sounder

Now I am going to install the transducer "in-hull". My question is WHERE ! I have now idea where to even start on where to put it or where to run the cable from the transducer to the dash.

Thanks for the help in advance and for all the suggestions on mounting it !

Claudio

I installed a depth sounder this winter in my boat. Basically, you want the transducer towards the rear of the boat and as close to the center line of the boat where the hull will be in the water all the time so you get a continuous reading. You also want to mount it where you won't get any turbulent water on the outside of the hull i.e. from tracking fins, water pick up, speedometer paddle wheel, etc.

I mounted mine below the drive shaft before it passes through the hull, right by the transmission. My boat is a DD, do it may be a little different with your v-drive. I roughed up the the fiberglass with some sandpaper to make the mounting location as smooth as possible. A lot of the manufacturers recommend using slow cure epoxy. I used some silicone to begin with just to verify that the location of the transducer would work well enough to give me a consistent reading before permanently gluing it into place with the epoxy. If and when you use the epoxy, make sure you use the slow cure, 6-8 hour type since the chemical reaction process heat of the quicker set-time epoxies may 'cook' the electronics in the puck.

As for routing the cable, I used an electrician's steel fish tape. I ran it down the hole in the floor under the helm where the steering cable is, and down along the space where the wiring harness is, and to where the puck is. Then I just hooked the cable to the fish tape, and pulled it through.

Claudio, I installed an OEM Malibu mudule and OEM drill-through-the-hull transducer last year into my 2005 Response LXi.

The transducer is in what I believe is the OEM position roughly under the centre ski pole. Cable runs forward via the under-floor ski locker and up under the dash.

Works really well.

Regards, Stephen.

post-9690-096512500 1304323756_thumb.jpg

post-9690-066698600 1304323920_thumb.jpg

post-9690-065465000 1304324007_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreenMan