Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

struck prop

Rainier

I found a used wakesetter at a dealer today that I really liked. The malibu dealer stated the boat has only 134hrs and was always maintained at his shop. He also stated the owner did strike the prop but that everything was repaired. Should I run or just ask the right questions and thats where all you come in. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Striking the prop shouldn't be a big deal. I think the quickest way to find out would be to test drive it. Even if he rocked the prop on something, it's usually just the prop that has to be repaired. Even if the driveshaft was damaged, the dealer could have fixed that without any cause for concern for you. I would ask if they had to repair anything other than the prop itself, take it for a test drive, and if there isn't any vibrations you should be good to go! Good luck.

I found a used wakesetter at a dealer today that I really liked. The malibu dealer stated the boat has only 134hrs and was always maintained at his shop. He also stated the owner did strike the prop but that everything was repaired. Should I run or just ask the right questions and thats where all you come in. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

water test it.....and ask for a 30 day guarantee if u purchase

ask to see all service records

Probably no big deal. I'd be interested to find out if the shaft, strut, rudder, or

gelcoat were also damaged [and also repaired] when he hit whatever it was he

hit. On the other hand, if they fixed it, they fixed it. There should be a detailed

invoice of the repair work, and I'd want to see it [along with all the other

maintenance records]. But, if you really like the boat, and are comfortable with

the price, a history of a damaged prop is no reason to walk away. It happens!

Edited by srab

Probably no big deal. I'd be interested to find out if the shaft, strut, rudder, or

gelcoat were also damaged [and also repaired] when he hit whatever it was he

hit. On the other hand, if they fixed it, they fixed it. There should be a detailed

invoice of the repair work, and I'd want to see it [along with all the other

maintenance records]. But, if you really like the boat, and are comfortable with

the price, a history of a damaged prop is no reason to walk away. It happens!

One quick test you can do to check alignment while on the trailer is to spray the strut with a garden hose and rotate the prop buy hand. You should be able to spin it without much resistance. Like suggested earlier get a 30 day warranty on the prop and alignemeent, or at least 10 hours of use.

-Dave

Dave, how easy should it spin?

After it's been soaked with water, it should have the resistance of cranking the handle on a hand-cranked radio.

The previous owner of my boat struck the prop on the trailer. I guess he got sideways in some wind or something. It wasn't visible according to him, but when the dealer mic'd the shaft, it was bent. I have the invoice showing all the repairs that were made and never though twice about buying this boat because of that incident.

Sounds like good advice from everyone above. Of course, check for spider cracks around the strut.

Not sure if that boat has the HDS, but if it does, that may be a concern, but you would find out by test driving. If the HDS is compromised, it will leak. (I think).

Also, maybe you could use the prop problem as a leverage point for price negotiations.

Good luck,

Steve B.

Yeah this site is priceless! One more issue- There are a couple of pink spots the size of a quarter. Dealer says its mold and could be killed. Has anyone ever heard of this?