Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's a motor worth

drc007

Well I'm trying to insure my boat and I need to break down the cost of the boat my question is what is a engine on a 97 sunsetter worth with 400 hrs? As far as I know everything is stock

Installed? With accessories? Maybe $4k?

Short block? And you do all the labor? Probably $1500?

Depends on whether or not your replacing the heads & intake too? Or if your doing the labor or having it done?

Well I'm trying to insure my boat and I need to break down the cost of the boat my question is what is a engine on a 97 sunsetter worth with 400 hrs? As far as I know everything is stock

I think Bill Air Junky is close. I would inflate that value a bit though if it's just for purposes of insurance and there's no way for them to come back to you on it. Best case is to get a quote from a local Bu dealer assuming worst case scenario. That way at least you have back up if something ever happens that you can make a claim for and the insurance provider asks where you got the stated value.

I'd take current total value / orig price of whole boat multiplied times cost of new motor of same/similar model. Assume everything depreciates at same rate.

When you insure an inboard you do not have to break down the cost, boat and motor are one cost just like your auto. Find a new agent.

TLC

When you insure an inboard you do not have to break down the cost, boat and motor are one cost just like your auto. Find a new agent.

TLC

:plus1: Find a new insurance company.

I just got off the phone with the my auto/home insurance guy to get a quote for a 97 Echelon that we will be picking up shortly. They asked me the same questions (how much is the boat worth, how much of that is motor, how much of that is trailer). So, I called up Skier's Pier to get the values for those, and the directed me to the Boater's Insurance Agency out of CA. They worked a qoute out right on the phone and e-mailed it to me within minutes and didn't need any of that info. Also, their quote was really cheap compaired to others for the same coverages. Just a thought ...

TLC

:plus1: My insurance carrier tried the same thing and when I educated them on the difference between an Outboard, an I/O and a V-Drive, they put N/A in that section. I have both my boat and trailer insured under the same policy.

Good luck.

My opinion is you should be looking at a marine policy with agreed replacement value. Call progressive. They are pretty cheap and you just tell them how much it will cost to replace your boat and they will give you a quote. Way better then trying to prove the boat didn't depreciate after you insured it. Marine policies are a little different than car policies because they are usually based on the quicks of maritime law.