Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Guide-On Pads

94wedge

So I can't decide whether I want to buy 36" or 48" guide on pads for my Echelon. I think the 36" will look better when the boat is on the trailer, due to the low profile, but I think the 48" might be more practical when loading the boat on the launch ramp. Does anyone have any input? or pictures?

So I can't decide whether I want to buy 36" or 48" guide on pads for my Echelon. I think the 36" will look better when the boat is on the trailer, due to the low profile, but I think the 48" might be more practical when loading the boat on the launch ramp. Does anyone have any input? or pictures?

Would defiinitely recommernd the "upgraded" sunbrella material pads over the cheaper nylon. The upgraded pads will not slide down the guidepole, they are fully enclosed on the top of the pole. My dealer gave me the cheaper nylon style, I will be changing them out when they get faded and damaged. 36 or 48" depends on the length of your guidepole, either will work.

Bakes sells the nicer upgraded cover, would recommend ordering from them.

Here is the link: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=827

Edited by Fman

Do you have guide poles now on your trailer, and you are just looking at the pads? The pads just have foam inside them. You won't want one too much longer than your poles. I think they would bend in the wind while trailering. I don't remember how long mine are. I will measure tonight and let you know tomorrow. I have the cheaper nylon ones. They have a drawstring on the top that I pulled tight, so they can't slide down the pole. I agree with Fman, the sunbrella ones with the closed top are much nicer, but they are also more expensive.

So I can't decide whether I want to buy 36" or 48" guide on pads for my Echelon.

How long are the poles on your trailer? You can't (or shouldn't) put a 48" pad on a 36 inch pole. I doubt a low profile boat like an Echelon would have a trailer with 48" guide poles but you never know. :unsure:

Would defiinitely recommernd the "upgraded" sunbrella material pads over the cheaper nylon. The upgraded pads will not slide down the guidepole, they are fully enclosed on the top of the pole. My dealer gave me the cheaper nylon style, I will be changing them out when they get faded and damaged. 36 or 48" depends on the length of your guidepole, either will work.

Bakes sells the nicer upgraded cover, would recommend ordering from them.

Here is the link: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=827

I have these, they are sweet

Do you have guide poles now on your trailer, and you are just looking at the pads? The pads just have foam inside them. You won't want one too much longer than your poles. I think they would bend in the wind while trailering. I don't remember how long mine are. I will measure tonight and let you know tomorrow. I have the cheaper nylon ones. They have a drawstring on the top that I pulled tight, so they can't slide down the pole. I agree with Fman, the sunbrella ones with the closed top are much nicer, but they are also more expensive.

The guide poles are about 34", so it would only make sense to get the 36" pads. currently i have 48" pvc pipe over the poles, and it is super nice when loading the boat (to make sure it's centered). The 36" pads will be submerged when loading. I guess this is just the laziness coming out in me.

Edited by 94wedge

The guide poles are about 34", so it would only make sense to get the 36" pads. currently i have 48" pvc pipe over the poles, and it is super nice when loading the boat (to make sure it's centered). The 36" pads will be submerged when loading. I guess this is just the laziness coming out in me.

What size are the PVC pipes? I metal guide poles on my trailer, not sure of the length, and they are covered with a PVC pipe. I found pads the correct diameter to put over the PVC. If you do that, yes, you could use the 48" pad. Depending on how steep your launch is, the longer pads could definitely help.

If the poles are 34" the 48's would just be flapping in the wind.