Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Trouble

BlknYlwT22

Drove our new '04 Wakesetter VLX this weekend and decided to try to fill the tanks to see if everything worked. I flipped all three switches at the different times to see if I could hear the pumps running for each tank. The port side rear tank pump ran and filled, the starboard pump did not run and the lights on the switch did not light up, and the midship pump ran and I assume put water in the tank. When I emptied the tanks, water only came out of the port.

Also, when I opened the ski hatch there was water sitting where the pumps appear to be sitting. I tried running the bilge but nothing came out.

I am really unfamiliar with ballasts and don't know whats normal and what isn't. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I just want to understand everything about the boat and get it all running/operating the way it should be.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

Note that each ballast tank has one fill pump and one drain pump. Just because it fills does not mean it will drain. You might want to check each pump individually. When you find problems you will need to start narrowing down the possible issues.

Things to Check:

Fuses

Possible inline fuses

bad pump (can replace impeller cartrage in pump)

etc

another question I had when filling the tanks is how do you know when they are full? Sorry for my dumb questions. I just have no idea how this stuff works as it is our first inboard.

another question I had when filling the tanks is how do you know when they are full? Sorry for my dumb questions. I just have no idea how this stuff works as it is our first inboard.

They are full when water overflows and shoots out the drain and/or vent port. Sounds like you may have left a tank full. The ports for the midship would be a drain and vent up closer to the bow, hopefully that helps you figure out which one might not have drained.

Check your fuses on the panel under your throttle control. You really should check the operation of all the pumps with engine off preferably out of the water or with the ball valves closed. The pumps can run dry for extended periods without damage. You'll be able to hear them running as you flip each switch on.

They are full when water overflows and shoots out the drain and/or vent port. Sounds like you may have left a tank full. The ports for the midship would be a drain and vent up closer to the bow, hopefully that helps you figure out which one might not have drained.

Check your fuses on the panel under your throttle control. You really should check the operation of all the pumps with engine off preferably out of the water or with the ball valves closed. The pumps can run dry for extended periods without damage. You'll be able to hear them running as you flip each switch on.

yea sounds like the midship tank is still full. is it possible to drain this tank manually until I get the issues resolved? When looking at the fuses what exactly do I need to look at?

I did the checking while the boat was on our lift and submerged enough to take in water. I will have to spend a lot more time with it here in the next week or so.

yea sounds like the midship tank is still full. is it possible to drain this tank manually until I get the issues resolved? When looking at the fuses what exactly do I need to look at?

I did the checking while the boat was on our lift and submerged enough to take in water. I will have to spend a lot more time with it here in the next week or so.

You can unhook the drain hose from the ballast tank (under the floor) and let it empty into the bilge. The bilge pump will then empty it out.

Edited by Jimmypooh

You can unhook the drain hose from the ballast tank (under the floor) and let it empty into the bilge. The bilge pump will then empty it out.

any idea how i can get rid of the water around the mid boat ballast pumps?

any idea how i can get rid of the water around the mid boat ballast pumps?

If you're talking about an inch of water in the bilge that doesn't get picked up by the bilge pump, you can soak it up with a towel. Some people have moved the bilge pump to do a better jobg of getting more water, but you'll never get all of it our without manually soaking it up. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's a boat and ment to be wet.

I think on '04s theres a wall between the ski locker and the aft area and bilge.

And theres a threaded plug at the bottom of the wall.

Remove that plug and the water in the ski locker will move back to the bilge when underway or when the bow is raised - likewise the water will come INTO the ski locker from the bilge when sitting still.

I would check all the plumbing for leaks

I think on '04s theres a wall between the ski locker and the aft area and bilge.

And theres a threaded plug at the bottom of the wall.

Remove that plug and the water in the ski locker will move back to the bilge when underway or when the bow is raised - likewise the water will come INTO the ski locker from the bilge when sitting still.

I would check all the plumbing for leaks

I did see the threaded plug when I looked into the ski locked but didnt want to remove it and have water get where it is not supposed to. i will remove the plug next time I am around the boat. Now I just need to get these pumps are figured out. I hope its just a fuse or something simple.

How would I know if the impeller or pump needed to be replaced? Are these both scenarios in which a normal person could do themselves?

Having just replaced or refurb all the pumps on my 04 wakesetter, let me lend some info to you.

First off there are 6 pumps, 3 fill, 3 drain. If you remove the center seat over the v-drive, you will see 2 pumps on the right on a t shaped fitting, and 1 pump on the left of the v drive. The 2 on your right (connected to 1 t and thru hull), fill your stern left and right tanks.

The pump on the left of the v-drive (all alone) is the fill for the middle tank.

The 3 drain pumps are all seperate. The pump under the middle floor access (right by the drivers seat) is the mid ship drain pump.

In the back of the boat, between the rear transom and the tanks, there are 2 pumps (1 on each side) connected to the rear of your of the pump. These are the rear drain pumps.

As far as pump replacements. Check your fuses first. I think the switch light should be on, if not, make sure the fuse is okay.

If ok, the pumps are basically 2 parts. The housing, and the cartridge. Unless the housing is cracked or leaking, replace only the catridge.

Here it is:

http://www.bakesonli...il.aspx?ID=1613

Basically, you remove the small locking screw/plastic tab. Then you underscrew the cap on the pump (large blue ring), and the pump catridge comes out. If the fuse is okay, and the pump still isn't spinning, disconnect it. Then with the switch on, check the voltage against ground for the power wire. You should see 12v, if not, you have a wiring problem. If you do see 12v, replace pump.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Indyxc

Having just replaced or refurb all the pumps on my 04 wakesetter, let me lend some info to you.

First off there are 6 pumps, 3 fill, 3 drain. If you remove the center seat over the v-drive, you will see 2 pumps on the right on a t shaped fitting, and 1 pump on the left of the v drive. The 2 on your right (connected to 1 t and thru hull), fill your stern left and right tanks.

The pump on the left of the v-drive (all alone) is the fill for the middle tank.

The 3 drain pumps are all seperate. The pump under the middle floor access (right by the drivers seat) is the mid ship drain pump.

In the back of the boat, between the rear transom and the tanks, there are 2 pumps (1 on each side) connected to the rear of your of the pump. These are the rear drain pumps.

As far as pump replacements. Check your fuses first. I think the switch light should be on, if not, make sure the fuse is okay.

If ok, the pumps are basically 2 parts. The housing, and the cartridge. Unless the housing is cracked or leaking, replace only the catridge.

Here it is:

http://www.bakesonli...il.aspx?ID=1613

Basically, you remove the small locking screw/plastic tab. Then you underscrew the cap on the pump (large blue ring), and the pump catridge comes out. If the fuse is okay, and the pump still isn't spinning, disconnect it. Then with the switch on, check the voltage against ground for the power wire. You should see 12v, if not, you have a wiring problem. If you do see 12v, replace pump.

Hope this helps.

This is a huge help. I may try to tackle this on my own so I don't have to pull the boat back out and pay for someone else to fix it. The only difference I can see between your info and what is on our boat is that I have two pumps in the middle floor access. I will be back with boat here in a week or so and I will take some pictures and post them here. how do I know if the fuse is bad or good? Where can I find replacement fuses?

This is a huge help. I may try to tackle this on my own so I don't have to pull the boat back out and pay for someone else to fix it. The only difference I can see between your info and what is on our boat is that I have two pumps in the middle floor access. I will be back with boat here in a week or so and I will take some pictures and post them here. how do I know if the fuse is bad or good? Where can I find replacement fuses?

I take the fuse part back. I never actually replaced one, so assumed wrongly it was fused. Did some quick research and the panel under the throttle (if like mine) if full of individual breakers, and not fuses. If the breakers pop out, they should be visibility out compared to the others. Check to make sure they are all level, especially the ones for the ballast pumps.

You really should do it yourself. It's easy. All you need is a screw driver, some butt splices, a wire cutter/connector, volt meter (helps, but optional, ground is black, other color is power), and some electric tape. I took my time and redid/zip tied all the wiring, and removing/r refurbing/replacing a combo of all 6 pumps took maybe 3 hours.

If you have 2 fill pumps under the center floor access, 1 is fill then, 1 is drain. Even easier to get to.

I'd start with switched on each switch indivdually, and listening to where the pump is running. The ones that work, leave them alone. The ones that don't, first remove them, and make sure nothing is stuck. Spin the impeller on them, and try again. If still no go, then replace accordinly.

Do they look the same? If not, I'm betting one is your bilge pump, the one mounted to the hull.

I would check the back of the switch on the one that didn't light up. It may have a loose power lead.

For the pump that doesn't work, what usually happens is you flip the switch, get no sound for 5 seconds, then the fuse pops. This is an impellor issue. You can check this by taking out the cartridge as mentioned above and try spinning the impellor by hand. If it doesn't spin, that's your problem. If it does or is tight, spin it till it feels loose then turn it on. It will spin and then stop and pop the fuse.

There really isn't a lot to the system and the above suggestions are dead on but basically it's either the switch (Check the leads), the cartridge is stuck, and/or the fuse is popped. If the fuse is popped it's most likely a sticky impellor.

Do they look the same? If not, I'm betting one is your bilge pump, the one mounted to the hull.

Nah, mine are like that too. Center fill through a through-hull, Center drain on the tank, both under the center compartment. There's still the T-handled through hull drain open there too.

Time will tell whether it was a good idea or not, but I had this same problem with my center drain pump last summer (would come on for about 10 seconds, then blow the breaker). I took the pump out and spun the impeller and it seemed fine. Replaced it and it still kept popping. So I got a new pump altogether from Walmart (Attwood tsunami 800, same as wakemakers sells). Replacing the whole pump was actually less expensive than ordering a new cartridge. Not to mention the instant gratification of being able to run to a store and pick one up.

you guys have given me enough info I think I can take car of this issue on my own. I will take my laptop down to the lake and run through all the info you have given me. We have a malibu dealer local to us so I will probably pick up the parts from them assuming the prices arent ridiculous. I truly appreciate all of you help! hopefully this saves me from having to pull the boat out of the water and from having to pay for something I can do. If anyone has any other suggestions please chime in.

you guys have given me enough info I think I can take car of this issue on my own. I will take my laptop down to the lake and run through all the info you have given me. We have a malibu dealer local to us so I will probably pick up the parts from them assuming the prices arent ridiculous. I truly appreciate all of you help! hopefully this saves me from having to pull the boat out of the water and from having to pay for something I can do. If anyone has any other suggestions please chime in.

goes without saying, but if you are doing this on the water be sure you close your through hull ball valves before you remove the pumps / cartridges.

goes without saying, but if you are doing this on the water be sure you close your through hull ball valves before you remove the pumps / cartridges.

i will be doing it on the lift still need to shut them?

i will be doing it on the lift still need to shut them?

Just remember it's like removing a plug. If you can safely remove a plug on the lift then no, no need to shut the through-hulls.

• 2 weeks later...

Messed with the ballast pumps a little bit this weekend. Found out that two of the pumps are not working. The fuse was popped for the starboard ballast switch, the drain pump for the mid-boat ballast barely pumped anything, and the fill pump for the starboard ballast did not do anything when we switched in on. We are going to buy 3 pumps to replace the two with issues and have an extra on hand.

A couple questions I have. To take the pump apart is the cover the only thing that comes apart when you remove the four screws? I was expecting more to come apart. I guess I don't fully understand what the cartridge consists of. Also, when we go to remove these pumps how do we disconnect the power. We found where they tie in but are unsure how to disconnect them or reconnect the new pumps. Here's a couple pics to show what I am talking about.

Rear Fill Pump Connection

IMG-20110507-00058.jpg

Middle Connections

IMG-20110507-00060.jpg

Disconnect or turn off battery. cut those wires with snips. Strip ends. get new butt splices like in the pics and splice in new pumps. Personally, I'd use heatshrink butt splices and melt them after crimping. After making sure the bilge is VERY well ventilated, of course.

For whatever reason brown is hot on ballast pumps. Black is ground.

Edited by shawndoggy

Disconnect or turn off battery. cut those wires with snips. Strip ends. get new butt splices like in the pics and splice in new pumps. Personally, I'd use heatshrink butt splices and melt them after crimping. After making sure the bilge is VERY well ventilated, of course.

For whatever reason brown is hot on ballast pumps. Black is ground.

Easy enough. Thanks for the tips. When taking the pump apart is the cover the only thing that comes apart when you remove the four screws? I was expecting more to come apart.