Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump replacement assistance

I have a 2006 V-Ride with the340 Monsoon. I started loosing high end RPMs at the end of last season so I asked the local shop to take a look at it when they pulled it out of dry storage this spring. He called today to tell me the fuel pump is failing (60 psi at idle and only 20psi under throttle) and needs to be replaced. He charged me $250 for the diagnostic and said it will be another $1500 to replace the pump and it wont be done for 4 weeks. I'm no expert but I know when I am getting screwed. I ordered the part from our local Malibu dealer and plan to replace the pump myself this weekend. Question is, what am I really in for? Is this something that I can do myself or should I start looking for another shop to do the work. Thanks in advance for any information and/or advice.

Fuel pumps don't go bad unless they are starved for fuel. Did you starve it? Find out why the fuel pump went bad before you put the new one in or you can ruin the new fuel pump.

Edited by eyepeeler

It is absolutely something you can do yourself. I changed mine out in about 1-1/2 hours, and that was double and triple checking everything, and included running the boat on a fak-a-lake looking for fuel leaks and having a celebratory beer. You want to be careful, for sure, but you will not be executing man's return to the moon. $1500 to swap it out is thievery, if you ask me. I'd find another local shop, fast. They would never touch my boat (or wallet) again.

It's like 3 fuel connections and a single electrical connection, for heaven's sake. Basic tools (wrenches, etc) are all that is required. Have a catch pan and lots of old towels to catch the fuel that will spill when you start taking things apart. Add Sta-bil to your fuel...run white paper towels along your fuel lines and the red dye will let you know if you have any leaks.

And just curious, if you ordered the part from you local Malibu dealer, why didn't you take the boat to them for a diagnosis, instead of your 'local shop'?

Edited by RTS

Hold up - if you are going to replace it yourself you might as well get a fuel pressure guage and check it yourself.

You already got raped with a $250 diagnosis fee which is ridiculous for hooking up a fuel pressure guage and checking a couple of measmurements.

If I was in your situation - I would ask the tech at the dealer to hook up the fuel pressure guage and show the you all the readings.

If you numbers are truly that far off - my first action step would be to replace the fuel filter. If the numbers are still off - then you can replace the fuel pump.

I would also give Paul at Bakes a call and get the fuel pressure standards from him. We have some great resources here on this site and if you do choose to seek out there help - the best way to thank them is to give them the business.

Every man who owns a boat or car should own one. Amazon has the best price.

Actron CP7818 Fuel Pressure Tester Kit

Edited by Murphy8166

I have a 2006 V-Ride with the340 Monsoon. I started loosing high end RPMs at the end of last season so I asked the local shop to take a look at it when they pulled it out of dry storage this spring. He called today to tell me the fuel pump is failing (60 psi at idle and only 20psi under throttle) and needs to be replaced. He charged me $250 for the diagnostic and said it will be another $1500 to replace the pump and it wont be done for 4 weeks. I'm no expert but I know when I am getting screwed. I ordered the part from our local Malibu dealer and plan to replace the pump myself this weekend. Question is, what am I really in for? Is this something that I can do myself or should I start looking for another shop to do the work. Thanks in advance for any information and/or advice.

I would call this guy out and report to the BBB, that is crazy. No way it took him 2.5 hours of labor to determine a faulty fuel pump.

It will take you maybe 30 minutes to replace the pump, two allen screws to hold the pump onto the bracket, one hose clamp and one threaded fitting and you're done.

-Chris

Thank you all for the information. A few answers for you and a little history in case it matters:

Why not take it to the Malibu dealer? Their service location is about an hour from the lake. they have a retail location (Sales and Showroom) on the lake that they will send their parts to. trust me they are AWESOME!!! (Minnesota Inboard Water Sports) but getting your boat in this time of year is almost impossible unless you scheduled it last fall. The marina I went to had a storage special last fall $495 for witerization, heated storage for the winter, spring run out and a light detail before delivery. For $50 more they would deliver it to your dock. I guess I know how they make up the money now.

Did I starve it of fuel? Not that I am aware or. I noticed it was a little boggy at high RMPs last summer and replaced fuel filter (old one was clean but replaced anyway) and gave her new plugs and wires. That had little to no effect and it started getting worse the last few weeks on the water. Other then prep for winter storage I never let her drop below a quarter tank and we put 200+ hours on a summer so old fuel has not been an issue.

This will be the third summer since I acquired the boat (with 750 hours on it) from a wakeboard school that went out of business. I had it checked out before I purchased it and was told the engine was in immaculate condition with identical pressure on all cylinders. I have babied her since and she now has about 1200 hours on her.

Hole shot on her will still bury you in your seat but around 3800 RMPs it just bogs out. If you feather the throttle a little you might squeeze a few more RMPs. To make it all worse the ice is out and it will be in the 70s this weekend. Our crew prides itself on being the first ones in the water each year but no way I will run her when she is sick.

Thanks again everyone....see ya on the water. :)

Fuel pumps don't go bad unless they are starved for fuel. Did you starve it? Find out why the fuel pump went bad before you put the new one in or you can ruin the new fuel pump.

that's not exactly true. It can certainly hasten the failure, but OP has 1200 hours, a lot of history and flow. I don't see why accuracy of diagnosis should be called into question other than the price.

• 1 month later...

I know it has been awhile but figured I would post a follow-up. I ordered the fuel pump and got all the tools together to swap it out. Other than a trip back to the shop for a new compression fitting (old one had a dent from over tightening :whistle: ) the whole process took about 15 minutes. Seriously, this was the easiest maintenance I have done to date! I had no idea how much power I had lost, not just the high end RMP power but right out of the hole. Once again the knowledge level available on this forum has saved my bacon, and several hundred dollars :thumbup: . Thank you all for your time and assistance.

See ya on the water

I know it has been awhile but figured I would post a follow-up. I ordered the fuel pump and got all the tools together to swap it out. Other than a trip back to the shop for a new compression fitting (old one had a dent from over tightening :whistle: ) the whole process took about 15 minutes. Seriously, this was the easiest maintenance I have done to date! I had no idea how much power I had lost, not just the high end RMP power but right out of the hole. Once again the knowledge level available on this forum has saved my bacon, and several hundred dollars :thumbup: . Thank you all for your time and assistance.

See ya on the water

Good work dude!

See ya on the water

Check your PMs please.