Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

rookie mistake

FlatH20

yesterday out on the lake I put on my drysuit and had a great first set on the wakeboard - knowing full well I would go out for a second I kept the suit on and just took off the top and sleeves and tied them around my waist while my other crew members rode. last set, I slid back into the suit and slid into the water - I forgot to have someone zip me up... since I face the inside of the boat putting on my board nobody knew any different... I didn't even realize it till I was up on the board and the suit was filled with water - while i felt some initial coldness I figured it was due to the fact that when I slid in I submerged my head...

when I realized what I had done I told my wife to hurry up- with a fully sanctioned power turn - how embarrassing and dangerous - I bet I only make that mistake once....

Very funny and I am sure VERY cold. We use to do this to rookies on the waterski team in college. Whenever zipping a newbie into a dry suit we'd ask if they want the "pro gap" as it increases performance. Of course everyone said yes. Then you'd zip the zipper all but 2" closed. The people in the boat usually found it funnier than the guy in the water.

Glad you were able to get out Flath20, I'm to the point now, I don't even wear a suit. We've been skiing together so long now, a person is only in the water moments before it's "go" time.

I've just never found a suit I"m comfortable in, so it's momentary shrinkage, no biggie, lol. Just a disclaimer though, about the lowest temp I'll get in, is around 50 degrees.

Steve B.

...about the lowest temp I'll get in, is around 50 degrees.

Some of the flatest water of the year is colder than 50°.

You should try an O'Neill Assault Hybrid Drysuit. Very comfortable. Doesn't use that ridiculous super tight rubber neck seal. I hate those.

MSUwaterski - love it - "Pro-Gap" hilarious and now I have something new to offer some of the newbs! thanks

Steve B- water temp was mid to upper 40's - we generally do the same thing - thats one of the reasons I didn't think much of it as I was waiting to get start - probably only 10-15 seconds... BTW- trunking it in 50 degree water? - nice, but not for me...

NorCal - I'll wear the Boost out before I go try the Assault - I don't mind the neck seal - generally I wear sweats and a sweatshirt under the suit- and it does restrict your movement to a certain degree - but yesterday the sun was out so I opted to the tee shirt and board shorts under the suit. the gloves are what bothers me the most - for some reason I have more "let-goes" on the handle when I wear the gloves.

Some of the flatest water of the year is colder than 50°.

You should try an O'Neill Assault Hybrid Drysuit. Very comfortable. Doesn't use that ridiculous super tight rubber neck seal. I hate those.

I hate those too but unfortunately I have one and it prevents me from going out as much as I could early in the season.

yesterday out on the lake I put on my drysuit and had a great first set on the wakeboard - knowing full well I would go out for a second I kept the suit on and just took off the top and sleeves and tied them around my waist while my other crew members rode. last set, I slid back into the suit and slid into the water - I forgot to have someone zip me up... since I face the inside of the boat putting on my board nobody knew any different... I didn't even realize it till I was up on the board and the suit was filled with water - while i felt some initial coldness I figured it was due to the fact that when I slid in I submerged my head...

when I realized what I had done I told my wife to hurry up- with a fully sanctioned power turn - how embarrassing and dangerous - I bet I only make that mistake once....

just so u don't feel all alone, yesterday I headed out, was on the swim platform ready to jump in and just before realized I had left my wetsuit un zipped......I did catch it prior but it was close. I was surfing and was having a great run when I realized I had my sun glasses on.........Whistling.gif I guess it takes a few times out to work the bugs out.

A few years ago, I was riding with my bud in January. We were both using drysuits. At the end of the day were were dry as a bone......until he fell off the platform wearing the only street clothes he had.

NorCal - I'll wear the Boost out before I go try the Assault - I don't mind the neck seal - generally I wear sweats and a sweatshirt under the suit- and it does restrict your movement to a certain degree - but yesterday the sun was out so I opted to the tee shirt and board shorts under the suit. the gloves are what bothers me the most - for some reason I have more "let-goes" on the handle when I wear the gloves.

Actually, my recommendation was for Steve B...

I've just never found a suit I"m comfortable in...

As far as the gloves; maybe you should just let the skiers have the water until it warms up a bit. :innocent::lol::tomato:

I can't count how many times I forget to put on my vest right before I jump in.

Normally I wear boardshorts and a lycra SS rash guard. Never had a drysuit that kept me completely dry all day.

Very funny and I am sure VERY cold. We use to do this to rookies on the waterski team in college. Whenever zipping a newbie into a dry suit we'd ask if they want the "pro gap" as it increases performance. Of course everyone said yes. Then you'd zip the zipper all but 2" closed. The people in the boat usually found it funnier than the guy in the water.

"Pro gap"........that made me literally laugh out loud. Too funny.