Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Reverse Question

Hey Everyone: Today was our first day out in our new 2006 BU and being this is our first tournament boat I wasn't quite sure what to expect compared to our last two IO boats. WOW. Our 23lsv with the HH drives like a sports car. Major power, throaty exhaust and pushed back into our seats is an under statement. I do have a quick question.

When I shift the boat into reverse the tranny or V drive has kind of a high pitch noise the whole tiime it is in this direction. No grinding or clunking just a weird wine when we are backing up. No noise forward. Has anyone experinenced this noice before?

Any insight would be great.

The reverse gear is square cut verses a helical cut forward gear. Square cut gears are very loud which is why they are used in little used (reverse) and race applications.

It doesn't take long to realize that there is really no reverse in our BU's. Unless you want to go backwards and then to the right. Still working on this issue. But im loving the feel and drivability of the BU compared to my old IO's.

Congrats on the boat. I too drove inboards for years. When I was a kid, a buddy of mine had a SN 2001, so I knew when I became a big boy that I needed a competition ski boat. I got my 2000 Response about 4 years ago and I LOVE it. I still love taking unsuspecting I/O owners out and suggesting they hold on. It's funny when they ignore me because "they have been boating all their lives"...and start out sitting on the observer seat and by the time I reach 35mph they are all the way in the back ;-)

Oh and like the others have said, the reverse "whine" is totally normal.

• 1 month later...

Based on what I have read the original poster stated it was a noise. Could someone specify if that noise is just a whine or a screetch. My Bu that I just got is a 05 lsv and when in reverse I do hear the normal whine but sometimes it actually screetches similar to that of a car steering screetching sound. If mine is not normal could anyone suggest what may be the problem and wether or not its serious.

Thanks,

Claudio

Based on what I have read the original poster stated it was a noise. Could someone specify if that noise is just a whine or a screetch. My Bu that I just got is a 05 lsv and when in reverse I do hear the normal whine but sometimes it actually screetches similar to that of a car steering screetching sound. If mine is not normal could anyone suggest what may be the problem and wether or not its serious.

Thanks,

Claudio

Screeching and whine could all be used to describe normal sounds...if you're fluid is good, what are you going to do about it anyway? :biggrin:

Not sure how you define the difference in screech and whine in a written topic. Either way it is a pretty ugly sound. Could you could make a short video of it to post so we can "hear" the sound.

Not sure how you define the difference in screech and whine in a written topic. Either way it is a pretty ugly sound. Could you could make a short video of it to post so we can "hear" the sound.

I've been in malibus that if you give them any gas in reverse the sound becomes screech-like

I've been in malibus that if you give them any gas in reverse the sound becomes screech-like

Did you mean to say "pass gas in reverse" ? Screeching is not a sound of normalcy

Did you mean to say "pass gas in reverse" ? Screeching is not a sound of normalcy

I have been in 20 malibus that make an arguable screech in reverse. Not the word I would select but I can see that the high pitch that gets higher with engine speed be described as a screech.

i'd go with whine to describe normal square cut gears that are reverse.

some manual transmission cars may have a similar whine while reversing.

is your screech maybe like a loose fan belt?

(even though i can't imagine why a fan belt would act differently forward v reverse).

The comparison I am making is based on being on my friends 06 vlx. When he is in reverse i hear the whine and when he increases throttle in revers the whine gets higher pitched and sounds normal. The sound mine is making every so often when i increase throttle in reverse is a screetching noise similar to that of a loose fan belt in a car.

I will try to get it on video for you guys friday when I get back in town.

Thanks

Claudio

The comparison I am making is based on being on my friends 06 vlx. When he is in reverse i hear the whine and when he increases throttle in revers the whine gets higher pitched and sounds normal. The sound mine is making every so often when i increase throttle in reverse is a screetching noise similar to that of a loose fan belt in a car.

I will try to get it on video for you guys friday when I get back in town.

Thanks

Claudio

that's what I was thinking you were describing as screeching.

how often is that? every time in reverse? checked your fluid? strut bushing?

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Hey Claudio

The reverse question I started is more of a wine or strung hum from the square cut gear of reverse. Much the same as putting a small car into reverse. The more gas you give that little car the louder the wine, the same applies to my 23 lsv. My 2006 v Drive does not make any screeching noises. Check your belt.

Rob